Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2014, 17:25   #166
BHPian

Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

@vb-san
maybe - maybe not. as when i tried the polo and figo - they didn't feel as well built. the figo felt a bit flimsy to some extent.

@vasudeva
going by that logic - these cars should also be fitted with a mandatory speed limiter of let's say 30kmph? they shouldn't drive any faster than those speeds any which way in the city.

about a few nights back, i witnessed an i10 ram into the rear fender of a wagon R. and trust me i noticed it only because i saw the wagon R jumping from behind (about good 3 feet). when i got a bit close i saw that the only damage to the cars was - the i10 had a broken headlight + slightly bent fender + a misshaped bumper. wagonR had a broken tail lam, and again a misshapen rear fender and bumper.

what made me wonder was how light weight these cars intact are. though they didn't suffer much damage (considering the way the wagon R jumped) i still wondered what would have happened had there been a small baby in the wagon R and it would have jumped the way it did. ever since that day i made a mental note. "bhaad mien jays saare features air fuel efficiency. will only buy a car which is not just safe, but safest in terms of driver and passenger safety and falls in my budget."
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 18:05   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
@vb-san
maybe - maybe not. as when i tried the polo and figo - they didn't feel as well built. the figo felt a bit flimsy to some extent.
My reference was based on the NDTV crash video.
Old 4th February 2014, 18:44   #168
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors has assured to work on the safety of its cars after a range of small Indian cars. More details here:

http://www.aninews.in/newsdetail3/st...ate-tata-.html

At least they are admitting the lapses & will work on improving cars on safety front.

Appreciated
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 19:12   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Tata Motors has assured to work on the safety of its cars after a range of small Indian cars.
IIRC, Osamu Suzuki had commented on the safety aspects of the Nano when it was announced (look who's talking!). Had Tata not used such tactics to reduce the weight they would have had the last laugh, and maybe even snatched some share from the Alto800. I did not like the double standards of Tata in making a safer car for checking the viability in foreign/developed markets, and giving us an unsafe car.

OT:
When I got my car, I had two options for the same price:
1. A 9-month A-Star VXi with 6000km and a free service remaining
2. A 2-year i10 with ABS+2 airbags and 30000km used

I wasn't aware of the crash-worthiness of the cars at that time and as anyone would, I chose the former, thinking that it is still OK without airbags. And after watching the respective EuroNCAP videos, I somewhat felt that I made a wrong choice. (A-Star 3/5 and i10 4/5 both with 2 airbags)

After seeing the above video, I no longer regret my decision. The A-Star may not be that safe originally (v/s European i10) or Maruti might have used inferior materials, but I am really happy I have a great handler and a car which still smells new. And no airbags blowing up into my face!!

Till now I used to think Hyundai is really doing something good for India. VERY BAD HYUNDAI!

Last edited by amolbh : 4th February 2014 at 19:14.
Old 4th February 2014, 19:23   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
After seeing the above video, I no longer regret my decision. The A-Star may not be that safe originally (v/s European i10) or Maruti might have used inferior materials, but I am really happy I have a great handler and a car which still smells new. And no airbags blowing up into my face!!

Till now I used to think Hyundai is really doing something good for India. VERY BAD HYUNDAI!
I would happily sit in a structurally weak i10 with 2 airbags than a structurally weak Maruti without any airbags.

The only Maruti Suzuki cars that I'd ever buy is a Kizashi or a Grand Vitara. The rest are "Modified" for India.

Last edited by blacksport : 4th February 2014 at 19:27.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 19:27   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I would happily sit in a structurally weak i10 with 2 airbags than a structurally weak Maruti without any airbags.

The only Maruti Suzuki cars that I'd ever buy is a Kizashi or a Grand Vitara. All the rest are "Modified" for India.
And have airbags blow up in your face!? Please elaborate on your remark.

Swift somehow seems to be unmodified, but point noted.
Old 4th February 2014, 19:35   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
IIRC, Osamu Suzuki had commented on the safety aspects of the Nano when it was announced (look who's talking!). Had Tata not used such tactics to reduce the weight they would have had the last laugh, and maybe even snatched some share from the Alto800. I did not like the double standards of Tata in making a safer car for checking the viability in foreign/developed markets, and giving us an unsafe car.

OT:
When I got my car, I had two options for the same price:
1. A 9-month A-Star VXi with 6000km and a free service remaining
2. A 2-year i10 with ABS+2 airbags and 30000km used

I wasn't aware of the crash-worthiness of the cars at that time and as anyone would, I chose the former, thinking that it is still OK without airbags. And after watching the respective EuroNCAP videos, I somewhat felt that I made a wrong choice. (A-Star 3/5 and i10 4/5 both with 2 airbags)

Sorry, maybe I am stupid, but I dont understand. Isn't it the job of airbags to 'blow up in your face'? Or would you rather have the steering and metal parts of the car slam into your upper body?
Old 4th February 2014, 19:41   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Sorry, maybe I am stupid, but I dont understand. Isn't it the job of airbags to 'blow up in your face'? Or would you rather have the steering and metal parts of the car slam into your upper body?
The job of airbags is to get inflated and stay in a position fixed relative to the driver, as a cushion, so that the driver's head gets protection from it, instead of hitting the bare steering wheel. In the Indian i10, the steering column is moving towards the driver, which is absolutely unacceptable. The airbag when in the process of inflation will have direction opposite to that of the driver's, causing more harm.

This has been discussed many times earlier in the thread and also in the Alto K10 crash thread.

Anyways, if you still have any more questions, we all would love to hear them.
Old 4th February 2014, 20:50   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
One mystery is that the quoted speed of 64kmph is quite not what it seems. From some laws of physics, the force of impact is determined by the velocity of the vehicles and their masses.

As there is some discussion about head on collisions, and the force of impact, and whether the cars could suffer more damage or the same amount of damage in such cases, here's a video clipping of an episode of Mythubusters which deals with exactly the same issue.

Makes for an interesting watch and see and learn how the laws of physics come into play in such high force collisions.

Thanks for the video. Very informative indeed. Kind of dispelled my notion completely.

While watching it, I saw another interesting video on Youtube, where a small Renault hatch is crashed against an old-gen Volvo station wagon. The findings are equally interesting.

vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 21:00   #175
Senior - BHPian

Any idea on the possibility of retrofitting additional airbags to the current models?

For eg, For an airbag equipped vehicle, In case a manufacturer wants, is it possible to add additional airbags like curtain airbags and passenger airbag?
This would be under the assumption that, the circuits and controls are already in place to handle the trigger for airbag control, since one airbag is already present.
Old 4th February 2014, 21:09   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Any idea on the possibility of retrofitting additional airbags to the current models?
More than having airbags, structural rigidity is of concern. No use of airbags if the structure crumbles on impact!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 21:15   #177
BANNED

Quote:
I don't think it is possible to retro-fit another air bag once a car is manufactured.

And moreover it is not advisable to do such things. Best if it comes when manufactured rather retro-fitting.

Anurag.
Old 5th February 2014, 00:30   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
More than having airbags, structural rigidity is of concern. No use of airbags if the structure crumbles on impact!
Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I don't think it is possible to retro-fit another air bag once a car is manufactured.

And moreover it is not advisable to do such things. Best if it comes when manufactured rather retro-fitting.

Anurag.
I agree. But my question was more towards models which has the structural design to accommodate full 6 airbags, but Indian models are given only two.
Recent example being the Indian and Thai city.

Thought was on something of a government regulations, how feasible is it to the manufacturer to add on additional safety features, like the extra airbags, by safety recalls
Old 5th February 2014, 00:35   #179
BANNED

Quote:
I agree. But my question was more towards models which has the structural design to accommodate full 6 airbags, but Indian models are given only two.
Recent example being the Indian and Thai city.
I am not sure but won't the addition now have any changes to be made to the internal structure to add the airbags into a car?

Anurag.
Old 5th February 2014, 11:08   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For eg, For an airbag equipped vehicle, In case a manufacturer wants, is it possible to add additional airbags like curtain airbags and passenger airbag?
This would be under the assumption that, the circuits and controls are already in place to handle the trigger for airbag control, since one airbag is already present.
I am not too sure if I am answering your question correctly - One of my friends has a base version of ford figo and the car met with an accident. While carrying out repairs for the car, he had a discussion with the dealership and got dual airbags fitted (which are available with top end). He spent about 1.05 Lacs over and above the accidental repair cost (which was paid by the insurance company) and this additional amount was settled by him.

I call it a good move, though he was safe after the accident but understood the value of these features and also the dealership was ready to help him with required changes.

Should you need more information, let me know.

Last edited by i74js : 5th February 2014 at 11:19.
i74js is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks