Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:31   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

I saw an ad in the newspapers today for Polo, claiming it to be the 'safest premium hatchback' in India. Am I missing something? Or did they mean that the other cars are worse in safety than Polo?
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:06   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I saw an ad in the newspapers today for Polo, claiming it to be the 'safest premium hatchback' in India. Am I missing something? Or did they mean that the other cars are worse in safety than Polo?
Maybe true. I think the claim is based on the Global NCAP tests conducted on the Polo. And I believe they've made dual airbags standard across the whole range of Polo.
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:12   #243
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Could be possible, VW had briefly stopped production of Polo (Base variant specially) after the NCAP rating were announced they added dual-airbags in the bar variant of the Polo too. VW is the only one to do it after the results were published.

Hats off to VW to at least react well in time after results were made public. None of the other manufacturers responded positively.

Anurag.
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:25   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Maybe true. I think the claim is based on the Global NCAP tests conducted on the Polo. And I believe they've made dual airbags standard across the whole range of Polo.
Yes, after the Polo(w/o airbags) failed the first test, they withdrew the vehicles and then the Polo(with dual front airbags) was tested again and was the only one among the lot to pass with 4 stars whereas the rest failed with 0.
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:42   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hats off to VW to at least react well in time after results were made public. None of the other manufacturers responded positively.
I wouldn't applaud VW yet since it is just a desperate knee jerk reaction from them. They're still selling Vento without airbags. Airbags are available only in the Highline variant of Vento. If they were genuinely promoting safety as they claim, they would have made the airbags standard even in Vento. Are they waiting for someone to take a base variant Vento for a crash test before they'll decide to make airbags standard in Vento?

In case of Vento, they are already having a tough competitor in Honda City who gives airbags as standard. So it would hurt their pricing levels if they make airbags standard and increase the price of their lower variants. Moreover, they'll lose out to the much cheaper and practically same Skoda Rapid if they start offering airbags in all variants of Vento and increases the price.

Polo is already too costly and doesn't stand a chance among the premium hatch customers who look for VFM or lower price tag. So a price increase and making airbags standard wouldn't hurt them, especially with Fabia not being a threat.

Unless they take that risk and offer airbags in all Vento variants, I wouldn't believe what they are saying!
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:53   #246
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I wouldn't applaud VW yet since it is just a desperate knee jerk reaction from them. They're still selling Vento without airbags. Airbags are available only in the Highline variant of Vento. If they were genuinely promoting safety as they claim, they would have made the airbags standard even in Vento. Are they waiting for someone to take a base variant Vento for a crash test before they'll decide to make airbags standard in Vento?
My applause to VW was ONLY for at least adding the airbags to the base variants where Ford, Maruti, Hyundai were not even bothered to acknowledge rather pass a comment that "We are meeting the Indian standards for safety and there is no such rule by the law to enforce any extra safety for the cars."

VW may have omitted the same on Vento, I agree but they may add it there too.

Anurag.
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:02   #247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I wouldn't applaud VW yet since it is just a desperate knee jerk reaction from them.
Unless they take that risk and offer airbags in all Vento variants, I wouldn't believe what they are saying!
Oh wow, where did I ask you to applaud VW?
Somebody asked a question on the Polo, and hence the response

And since you mentioned, the base variants of the City do not have Front Passenger airbag.
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:19   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My applause to VW was ONLY for at least adding the airbags to the base variants where Ford, Maruti, Hyundai were not even bothered to acknowledge rather pass a comment that "We are meeting the Indian standards for safety and there is no such rule by the law to enforce any extra safety for the cars."
VW has more to do lose internationally with an "unsafe car" image than others. Among the cars that were labelled unsafe, Nano and Alto800 is not sold in any major international market while i10 has already undergone a major model change and Figo would get one very soon.

Polo on the other hand is a brand that is familiar with most of the European markets and this news of 'unsafe' Polo is not going to digest well with the European crowd. They get cars like Hyundai, Ford and Renault in Europe which are made in India and exported to Europe.

It makes sense now why they gave airbags in Polo and not in Vento - they don't sell Vento in Europe.

EDIT:
Any idea about the results of the Swift with airbags that was tested by the same folks? It'll be interesting to see how it fared against the results of Polo with airbags.

Last edited by zenren : 23rd April 2014 at 13:36.
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:35   #249
Senior - BHPian

Coming back to the Swift Zxi, were the results published? The anchor said they would be out in 2 weeks, but more than 4 have passed by.
Old 6th May 2014, 11:45   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Why India needs safer cars, explained by Global NCAP

Quote:
India accounts for 10% of 1.3 million road accident fatalities globally despite accounting for only 1% of the world’s vehicle population - and expected to grow further.
Quote:
In India, about 1.38 lakh people were killed in around 4.9 lakh road accidents in 2012. Many of these would have survived, only if their car had basic safety features like Airbags and ABS.
Quote:
Some of these cars don’t even come with airbags as an option and they are structurally week, which means even fitting them with airbags, won’t make much of a difference.
Quote:
Mostly because of the fact that majority of Indian car buyer does not look for safety features as mandatory while buying a car. All they want is a price tag that is as low as possible.

This is what Global NCAP believes has to change, in order to reduce number of fatalities due to road accidents in India

volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 14:10   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Why India needs safer cars, explained by Global NCAP
I think this statement and the quotes following it are misleading. It conveys the impression that the quotes are official NCAP statement. The artile refered to is written by Sagar Patel. Is he an NCAP official writing in rushlane.com in his official capacity? I doubt it. I do not doubt the facts stated though.
Old 6th May 2014, 18:43   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

I was just looking for this thread and found it on my home page. Read this report on Autocar twitter handle. The ASEAN NCAP has tested these cars and a brief report is here.

ASEAN NCAP crash test report of India-relevant cars
http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...4684&type=News

Last edited by BoneCollector : 6th May 2014 at 18:44.
Old 15th May 2014, 10:34   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

EuroNCAP has now revealed the results of the crash tests for the new Hyundai i10 (also known as Grand i10 in India) - gets 4 star in Euro NCAP rating.

Quote:
The i10 has a seatbelt reminder fitted as standard for the front and rear seats, and the system met Euro NCAP's requirements. Electronic stability control is also standard equipment. A driver-set speed limitation device is available as an option and is expected to be fitted to most cars sold. The only difference between the European and Indian i10 in terms of safety is that it misses out on side airbags and ESP.

http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...ts-5-13041.htm

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th May 2014 at 10:53.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 11:16   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
EuroNCAP has now revealed the results of the crash tests for the new Hyundai i10 (also known as Grand i10 in India) - gets 4 star in Euro NCAP rating.
Would like to ask the same age old question: Is the new Hyundai i10 and the Indian Grand i10 are same or we are talking about a skimped version in Indian context?
Old 15th May 2014, 11:22   #255
Senior - BHPian

When are the Swift results coming out? Preliminary conclusions were that it performed well; perhaps not as good as the Polo, but comparatively good. Hasn't it been over a month since they said they would publish the official results and data in two weeks?

Most Viewed