Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2014, 12:37   #256
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Would like to ask the same age old question: Is the new Hyundai i10 and the Indian Grand i10 are same or we are talking about a skimped version in Indian context?
Our Grand i10 is the skimped version than what is sold outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
When are the Swift results coming out? Hasn't it been over a month since they said they would publish the official results and data in two weeks?
No data had been provided after the Swift was tested. I guess they are yet to complete the 2 weeks time. Time zone different.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 09:38   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

Failure of these cars to meet global crash test norms has moved the Indian government to script local standards for all new cars that would make them safer,but push prices incrementally high.

A new programme christened Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Program (BNVSAP) is aimed at substantially increasing the safety quotient of all cars sold in India - A program aimed at substantially increasing the safety quotient of all cars sold in India. This is discussed with stakeholders including some manufacturers and testing agencies.

It is under planning to introduce mandatory offset frontal crash and a side impact test in the next few years for new models of passenger cars on the lines of the European Union.
Quote:
Quote:
Similar to the European New Car Assessment Programme (NCAP), the car sold in India would have star ratings based on their safety performance. The higher star of a model would reflect higher safety quotient
The new norms would not just change the safety parameters in Asia's second largest automotive market, but would force major architectural changes in the current models, while forcing the older ones to exit the market
How long will this take to be in place is the big question ?

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...-more/35396390

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st May 2014 at 10:05.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 09:59   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
A new programme christened Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Program (BNVSAP) is aimed at substantially increasing the safety quotient of all cars sold in India - A program aimed at substantially increasing the safety quotient of all cars sold in India. This is discussed with stakeholders including some manufacturers and testing agencies.
Finally something to cheer about in Indian industry and regulations. Hope it is set up soon so that safer cars become the norm in India too. However, BNVSAP? Really?? Please somebody change the name to something which is more readable. Agreed that ICAP (on lines of NCAP) may sound more like a cap made by Apple, but BNVSAP is too complex abbreviation to have.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 08:29   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Internationally Quadricycles fare poorly in Euro NCAP tests.

In India hope some safety norms are considered before unleashing these on Indian roads.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/06/wow...-to-these.html
Old 5th June 2014, 13:34   #260
Senior - BHPian

It's been nearly 3 months and the results for the Swift have still not come out. Am I the only one that is smeling something fishy?
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 13:51   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Internationally Quadricycles fare poorly in Euro NCAP tests.

In India hope some safety norms are considered before unleashing these on Indian roads.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/06/wow...-to-these.html
Quite funny. When mainstream cars are already unsafe in India, it will be a blasphemy to expect quadricycles to be any safe (or unsafe) than what they are at the moment.
Old 5th June 2014, 14:45   #262
BHPian

Glad that our Govt. is waking up to the car safety standards ... don't know if its the Munde's death effect.
Swift crash data not getting disclosed smells fishy. Maruti must be using its influence to curb the actual data being disclosed for damage to its reputation as a best seller.
Trust me guys, if you all are actually serious about safety for yourself and the loved ones, then without doubt it got to be a Fiat or a Skoda in the hatchback segment ... referring to the Punto and Fabia here.
Punto and Fabia with or without airbags would be more resistant and hence safer, in case of a crash than any other cars in its segment.
Please its not a criticism for the rest rather its an insight and my perspective having owned / driven both.
U may flak these brands for reasons best known to you but the point here is that for that second of life, when it matters the most only these 2 sub segment cars trump over their competition.
Your life, your choice.
Old 5th June 2014, 15:39   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
It's been nearly 3 months and the results for the Swift have still not come out. Am I the only one that is smeling something fishy?
+1.

I had showed this thread to my brother a few months back when it started and he keeps asking me about this result.
Old 5th June 2014, 21:35   #264
BHPian

Government seems to be waking up after the accident of Gopinath Munde. Crash test norms to come out in a month or so.

<http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ians/revised-global-standard-road-safety-rules-soon-gadkari-114060501286_1.html>

I am keeping my fingers crossed though, as the cost to car manufacturers are expected to be minimal as per the news article. I hope they make it as stringest as Euro crash norms.

Also, there is a news on more stringent laws for traffic violation, but then will that control the madness on our roads? Implementation will be a huge challenge.
Old 6th June 2014, 00:58   #265
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am sure there cannot be anything fishy regarding the detailed information on the Swift's crash test.

Someone stated that Maruti might be using its influence seriously? With the Global NCAP?

Besides, preliminary expert opinions were that it fared comparably (not as well as the Polo) to the Polo

There obviously are other complications that we are not aware of, having never been exposed to this side of the industry

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th June 2014 at 00:59.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 10:50   #266
BHPian

Indian cars have their metal stripped down! It is true! Why is this a surprise? - A quick comparison of the laden weight tells the story.

Just bend the sheet of metal with your hand and you will get to know how flimsy a car is - my friend used to say.

Anyway - disappointed about the Polo, since I thought at least they'd be safe based on their structure to some extent.

Must replace all my unsafe cars within a year now. I've taken a vow !

Last edited by aah78 : 24th July 2014 at 19:22. Reason: Post edited. Please type using proper grammar & punctuation in future for better readability. Thanks!
Old 24th July 2014, 13:43   #267
BHPian

An article by TOI on alarming ignorance of safety norms in Indian automotive industry..

TOI : Car safety takes a backseat

Last edited by Senna4Ever : 24th July 2014 at 13:44.
Old 25th July 2014, 23:23   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetkanwar View Post
Indian cars have their metal stripped down! It is true! Why is this a surprise? - A quick comparison of the laden weight tells the story.

Just bend the sheet of metal with your hand and you will get to know how flimsy a car is - my friend used to say.

Anyway - disappointed about the Polo, since I thought at least they'd be safe based on their structure to some extent.

Must replace all my unsafe cars within a year now. I've taken a vow !

We have discussed this elsewhere, the whole point of structural engineering - that which we call crumple zones, are part of the monocoque chassis and not the skin (the thin sheet metal) you speak of. The sheet metal is supposed to be just the skin of the car, easily replaceable in case of damage.

I had used the example of Swift - it has been touted as a compromised because of the thin metal, but do we know for sure, it's less safe than say, a Figo, because of that alone ? Since the underlying crumple zones are supposed to absorb the energy of an impact. Now, granted for minor hits where the impact is not enough to smash through the skin, thicker gauge metal would be nicer, as it will resist dents more than thin panels.

Does anyone have the privileged access to ascertain, if export Swifts have thicker sheet metal than domestic market Swifts ?

Besides, there's only so much we can do within reasonable limits. After all, princess Diana was killed in a Mercedes Benz - arguably much safer than our regular cars , which are only tested at 64km/h. Even a BMW/MB/Audi cannot save you from a 160km/h crash.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 01:12   #269
Senior - BHPian

50% of Indian car sales come from hatchbacks.

A random organisation in UK(?) funded by a 'Charity', independently crash tests popular Indian hatches except the largest selling Diesel hatch in India and publishes all their results.

A news channel suddenly finds it necessary to educate people about safety and NCAP ratings. They go gung-ho, 'spreading the work in good faith'.

Auto-Companies do their bit, VW even stops selling POLO without Airbags. Maruti gives a sloppy answer (Alto is an OLD, not-so-high profit budget car and is going to be phased out soon anyway) about having followed "Government Safety Guidelines". TATA Motors doesn't care for Nano's result coz it isn't selling (they can't do much about it anyway), but still gives a press statement reassuring 'concern for safety'.

Ofcourse, since cars like Polo & Figo are involved, there's a demand to test the Swift.

Ah! The media channel has garnered enough interest (and ofcourse only test results of the Latin American version of Swift is available as of now). The fourth estate is proud of its influence.

Ofcourse, Maruti isn't concerned about any hit on sales figures (Yet). Saints they are. Their conscience is clear.

Then after a while (after all the other Brands have faced solid brickbats during the initial hype), the channel publishes the tests of the Indian Maruti Suzuki Swift. They divide the programme into 2 parts.

The first one with the test is published. The second one with results... *Puff*. Disappears, no sign.

People/Consumers have short memories. The online enthu forum members would discuss the matter on technicalities and after a while, there too the interest will die down. (Godknows what happens about that 'Charity organisation', are the results available online? Nope.)

Ofcourse, Maruti Suzuki isn't involved.

And oh, Cassius is an honourable man.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 26th July 2014 at 01:22.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 01:19   #270
Senior - BHPian

When will airbags be made mandatory?! The problem is, one manufacturer or two offering it as standard on all models won't work out, because the competition will just kill them by not making it mandatory (thereby offering the base car at a lower price).

Certain things have to come from the long arm of the law. If the laws don't exist, we can't blame the manufacturers since they are here for business.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks