Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2015, 16:56   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
Well not many will be surprised by the Grand i10 poor results. The earlier dismal results of old gen i10 were a pretty clear clue as to how budget cars are made for India.
Though I am not exactly surprised with the outcome but I do want to point out a thing or two in your post. My major concern is that the Grand i10 does not exactly comes cheap. It is positioned in the premium hatchback bracket and surely I do not expect cars like Grand i10, Swift, Polo, Figo, etc which almost cost as much as entry level C segment sedans in their fully loaded avatars to have a compromised body shell.

My opinion is that the manufacturers are either making a lot of money by selling these cars by compromising the body shell design/ using weaker metals or they are focusing just on the superficial features of the car with stuff like keyless entry/power windows/music system and other electronic bells and whistles; which we Indians obviously love.

I am bound to use a strong word but the uneducated buyers of our country are not going to give a damn to a car which is less in terms of features but have a safe structure. However, no more evidence is needed for our love for unsafe cars loaded with useless features!

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 17:53   #302
BHPian

This is disappointing. I was expecting the lower variant to score 0 as there are no airbags but to see the body shell crumble like that was unexpected. IIRC, the body shell deformation in Grand i10 is worse than the original i10. And the former is priced higher as well as meets safety norms in Europe.

This is what a hyper competitive price sensitive market with limited to no safety regulations does to manufacturers. While we expect manufacturers to take responsibility (rightly so), they won't do it at the cost of getting bankrupt (again rightly so)

So a Kwid will provide butchish looks, touchscreen, et al but no guarantee of safety of shell. Do we blame them? They could have made a stronger body but then they could not have matched the equally (or more) unsafe Alto in pricing. But Grand i10 could have done better, especially if Figo (and slightly expensive Polo) are able to deliver strong body structure in the nearly the same price range.
Old 10th September 2015, 18:16   #303
BHPian

Well, we can see now from where Hyundai manages to bring margin for Start/stop button, keyless entry ,rear AC vents and top notch fit and finish to its cars.

Compromising the structural integrity in the name of cost cutting is highly unethical. When will the GOI wake up.
Its people's lives which are at stake here. I hope they understand this soon.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 10th September 2015 at 18:20.
Sherlocked is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 18:27   #304
BHPian

Holy moly, I'm a Grand i10 owner and I'm shocked to see this. Even though I have the top variant with airbags and ABS, look at how the body just completely gives up and deforms like it's made of paper! Damn! Even airbags won't help much if the body collapses in this fashion. Keep it up Hyundai, keep giving start/stop and all that jazz, and make the body out of a tin can sheet of metal.

It costs more than 7 lacs OTR Bangalore and it just shatters like this!

Have a good mind now to sell this and get something like a Polo TSI which atleast has a much better body shell.

Last edited by Parth46 : 10th September 2015 at 18:34.
Parth46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 19:39   #305
BHPian

Its hard to imagine how Hyundai tried to pass off this made in India Grand i10 in Latin America, which does have Latin NCAP crash testing in place.

Ironically on both their India and Chile web sites, Hyundai is highlighting the use of anti corrosive steel, to bolster the car's structure. No mention of car's weight on Indian site.

Quote from their India web site: "The Structural Safety of GRAND i10 got special attention by use of anti corrosive steel, ring structure application to enhance the rigidity and body robustness."
Old 11th September 2015, 00:02   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Have a good mind now to sell this and get something like a Polo TSI which atleast has a much better body shell.
Even though i do not own any Hyundai car after selling off our Santro last year, i have always found the build of Hyundai cars to be good compared to cars from Maruti which feel very very light. I am shocked at the results of this crash test as the structure has totally collapsed like a tin can, it was a similar story with Swift when it was tested by GLOBAL NCAP earlier.

Neither did these tests affect Swift sales and nor will this affect Grand i10 sales and both manufacturers will not take any steps towards improved safety. The government needs to step in here and do some thing because people of our country give a damn to their safety and of others on the road. Polo is a much more solidly built car than both Swift and Grand i10 but see where the sales are languishing for that car, resale and service take precedence over safety here.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 11th September 2015 at 00:06.
Old 11th September 2015, 02:39   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Well, we can see now from where Hyundai manages to bring margin for Start/stop button, keyless entry ,rear AC vents and top notch fit and finish to its cars.
Very true Sherlocked. Abysmal quality by Hyundai - when a lot of people go gaga over the feature list Hyundai provides at a similar or even lower price point of competitors, I used to wonder how only they were able to do so. I mean, so many features + excellent quality plastics + super fit and finish in and out + decent price seemed extremely improbable. Very unfortunate that they have cut the metal to give all this to unsuspecting buyers. To do cost-cutting on such invisible components is blatant cheating and breach of trust IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Even though i do not own any Hyundai car after selling off our Santro last year, i have always found the build of Hyundai cars to be good compared to cars from Maruti which feel very very light.
Very true coolboy. Even I felt the same. My manager's Grand i10 felt more solid overall compared to our Dzire - the doors were heavier and also closed with a better sound. Now I feel those do not matter at all. If metal has been cut from the A-pillar and chassis, it is not really going to help buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Neither did these tests affect Swift sales and nor will this affect Grand i10 sales and both manufacturers will not take any steps towards improved safety.
Unless the government steps in and implements strong corrective action, the condition will remain the same or even worsen. Even after the Global NCAP test results on Indian cars, the manufacturers (except VW) did not take any corrective action. On the other hand, they were defending themselves saying that they met all standards in place in India. Either the public has to reject such products - which is not going to happen OR the government should step in - which the car manufacturers and the lobby will not allow easily. God save India and the drivers here.
Old 11th September 2015, 15:20   #308
BHPian

DNA News article quoting the same.

Quote:
Recently, the company has launched this model in markets like Argentina with more safety equipment than the one tested by Latin NCAP, however its poor performing structure may still reduce passengers´ protection.

However, Hyundai's Euro version, tested by Euro NCAP, has passed with a four star ranking,i.e. it is safer than the Latin America's version. The difference between the two models is that the European basic version has frontal and side airbags,moreover, it provides child seat ISOFIX anchorages and the anti-skid technology, electronic stability control (ESC), which lack in the Latin American version.
Old 11th September 2015, 16:42   #309
BHPian

Vehicular safety is a big point of consideration in developed markets. However the same can not be said for India! The latest crash test result of the India-made Hyundai Grand i10 by Latin NCAP is another insight into how unsafe cars we are used to driving on our roads. The small hatchback has received zero stars in adult occupant safety!

Latin NCAP tested the base version of the Hyundai Grand i10 which was manufactured in India and sold in Chile. The worst fear for all – the India-made Grand i10 is nowhere near as safe as the one sold in European markets.
The base variant does not get any airbags which is what we know but the bigger issue is this – it doesn’t get a stable structure like its European edition. Protection offered to the driver’s head and chest was poor while in case of the front passenger it was found to be marginally better. Chances of damage to passenger’s knees was high. The body shell too was found to be ‘unstable’ and was not capable of withstanding further loading!

Whenever we have asked Hyundai about the lack of safety offered on India-made cars, they have always ducked by saying – All cars they manufacturer here adhere to the Indian safety norms! And talking about the ‘Indian safety norms’, even left hand side ORVM is also not mandatory, just to give you a reference…

Recently, Hyundai conducted a Head-to-Head Collision test of an America-made Sonata against the one manufactured in Korea just to show the home countrymen that there is no compromise in the home-made car. You can watch the video here. So, can Hyundai do the same for its car manufactured here….?

We may crib about this as a government lapse or the manufacturers, but the end consumer’s safety is put at risk! As always, we suggest you to buy a car which comes with basic safety features such as ABS and airbags, even if it is a segment lesser you may have to live with… And let us hope our lives become ‘as important’ as the Europeans or the Americans!

http://motorbash.com/india-made-hyun...ure-also-poor/
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test-hyundaigrandi10latinncap.jpg  

bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 16:43   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

This is seriously disappointing!! No matter how good the Swift is, I always considered it as a tin-can. However after seeing both the videos( of base Swift and Gi10), I am shocked to see the Swift shell faring much better than Gi10. Aleast its running board and doors didn't crumple so much.
So does this mean Hyundai has seriously cut corners, so much to even by-pass the leader in cost cutting-MSIL !!

What is the use of all those "segment leading features " and best in class fit and finish when the shell itself is compromised.

One thing I always wondered, is that Hyundai never mentions Kerb weight details on their brochures- food for thought???

Regards
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 15:02   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
What is the use of all those "segment leading features " and best in class fit and finish when the shell itself is compromised.

One thing I always wondered, is that Hyundai never mentions Kerb weight details on their brochures- food for thought???
Totally agree. Features should never be at the cost of safety. On the other hand, the Etios Liva, which has been criticized a lot for interior quality, scored 4-stars in the Latin NCAP. Toyota have skimped on interiors and features, and have provided very thin sheet metal, but at least not compromised on structural integrity (in addition to providing airbags on all variants and ABS too from next year, if i remember). I find that reassuring. Hope to see the results of Figo/Aspire soon.

Last edited by JonSnow : 12th September 2015 at 15:12.
JonSnow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 18:54   #312
Senior - BHPian

The disgusting fact is that we Indians have to depend on crash tests in other countries to understand how pathetically unsafe our vehicles are. Is'nt it criminal that we pay premium prices for all these brand new launches in India and have no means of knowing whether the car has a safe structure until some other country tests our cars?

i mean Latin America has more stringent crash tests than India??? Real sign of a banana republic.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 19:05   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
The disgusting fact is that we Indians have to depend on crash tests in other countries to understand how pathetically unsafe our vehicles are. Is'nt it criminal that we pay premium prices for all these brand new launches in India and have no means of knowing whether the car has a safe structure until some other country tests our cars?

i mean Latin America has more stringent crash tests than India??? Real sign of a banana republic.
Latin America also produces world class airplanes. India can't produce a paper plane to save its life. Our government is busy conducting scams and making money to bother about any governance or creating policies and rules. Indeed India is the world's biggest banana republic under the sham of the world's largest democracy.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 09:57   #314
BHPian

The latest Grand i10 '0' rating is very shocking indeed.

I thought unlike Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai makes cars with strong structure. You can find previous gen i20 Asta model with a proud 5 star ENCAP rating in the back.

I am close to buy a hatchback. One of the strong reason for me to go for Hyundai is for its strong structure. This latest news shattered all my hope. I would be happy to go for a Swift instead of a Hyundai. Anyways both are tin cans and would not exist in case of an accident. Why buy a tin can which is woeful to drive ?

Previously I was a bit enjoyed when Hyundai announced that airbag is standard for all its Xcent variants and latter come to know that it was because the new Ford Aspire that comes with the airbag in all its variants.

I have lost all my faith with these guys. So all are selling us tin cans. The best thing is move out from this country.
Old 13th September 2015, 15:48   #315
BHPian

It's no surprise indeed ..... fiat wake up and get your crash test results for Punto in India but these guys are enjoying their slumber

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks