Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2014, 17:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Separate or Integrated Neck Restraints (Headrests) : Which is the safer choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
Why didn't you collapse the seat and then push it away? I have seen many 'sahabs' do that in their so called 'bada gaadis'.
Hi,

I am not a Sahab, I am just a small time normal employee who is working for an organisation. The car provided to me was paid by the company. This has been a routine. I have always travelled to Jaipur either in an Innova or Corolla. Since, these were not available that time, I choose to take an Etios.

I am travelling to Jhunjhunu tomorrow and this time I have made sure that I am travelling in a Corolla.

Quote:
First of all, your travel agent really took you on the ride.
I beg to differ here. He had told me that he is sending me an Etios. It is my fault that I never checked the variant wise details.
Old 27th February 2014, 20:05   #17
BHPian

Re: Separate or Integrated Neck Restraints (Headrests) : Which is the safer choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Hi,

I am not a Sahab, I am just a small time normal employee who is working for an organisation.
mints21, sorry if I may have sounded rude or harsh. My only point was why didn't you collapse the front seat? (fold the seat forwards) Or is the seat fixed too in Etios? (like the Eeco)

This was my reference post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Almost all hatches are pretty darn cramped at the rear, while the front passenger seat, even of an Alto, is infinitely more comfortable! That doesn't stop the bossmen from jumping in the back of an 800 on the drive to work, does it? The rear benches of the Indica / Getz / Palio etc. may have a decent amount of room, but, here too, the front passenger seat is far better.

In the rare occasion that I travel with my driver, I always sit on the front passenger seat. Why this obsession with the back seat? Prestige? “Sethia”?
Related thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...back-seat.html
amolbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 13:52   #18
BHPian

Most of us think that the front headrests are only for the comfort of the front passenger. Some believe, and rightly so, that its also is a safety feature to prevent a neck injury to the front passenger.

But theres one more reason to have good head rests. In a front end collision, the rear seat passenger is flung forward towards the dashboard. In the absence of a good car seat and headrest, the rear passenger, will instead of hitting the seat cushion and headrest will end up hitting the back of the front passengers head. Ouch. That’s very often an instantly fatal injury for the front passenger as the rear passengers head hits the back of the front passengers head.

So, never ever remove headrests from the front seat. If possible, buckle up even on the rear seats.
Old 2nd March 2014, 19:11   #19
BHPian

[quote=amolbh;3379887]mints21, sorry if I may have sounded rude or harsh. My only point was why didn't you collapse the front seat? (fold the seat forwards) Or is the seat fixed too in Etios? (like the Eeco)

Absolutely no problem with what you mentioned. I am sure you mentioned that on a very lighter note and I took that with the same spirit. You don't have be apologetic about it. BTW the idea of collapsing the front seat never crossed my mind, I will try that if ever I am forced in a similar situation again.

Best wishes
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 22:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think the problem of fixed headrests is more serious for rear seats. Everytime I commute from airport to home in a basic Etios, I try to crouch downwards to ensure my head is accommodated by the pillow of the rear seat. The fixed headrests in rear seats are practically useless for taller people like me. It happens in my friends' Brio (too bad) and Figo as well. I love the rear seat of my Beat since it has adjustable ones, but unfortunately they have removed that feature in the latest version.

To answer the questions.
1. Any one will do since both are the same functionally, but I prefer fixed since they look like race car seats.
2. Both are safe. Adjustable are useful as hammers and can be used for attaching hooks.
3. Fixed
4. In case of rear seats a big YES, they are compromising on safety.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 08:56   #21
BHPian

Is there any way to install adjustable neck restraints at rear?? Nowadays very few hatchbacks are provided with adjustable rear neck restraints
Old 17th April 2016, 01:02   #22
BHPian

Detachable headrests are actually for emergency situation?

I was doing some reading and came across one of the message in my phone. It was mentioned that headrests in cars are made detachable actually with a reason. The long rod beneath it can be used to break open windows in case of emergencies. And, windows are as such designed to break easily if hit from inside with the headrest's rod. is this true? Can somebody throw some insight and validate this?

Given the fact that there are so many cases of fire we come across, this can be very valuable information to save lives.

Mods: I am not sure if I can open a new thread for this. Please delete this thread or merge this with some thread with already ongoing discussion, if required.

Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 10:09   #23
BHPian

Re: Detachable headrests are actually for emergency situation?

Well, I received a similar message, and wanted to first visually verify the pointed nature of the headrests.
Surprisingly, the headrests of the rear seats of my Grand i10 failed to get detached from the seat backrest (when upright). They may be detachable if the seat is folded, but then it doesn't serve the purpose mentioned above.

Waiting to read fellow members' thoughts on this.

P.S: The front seats of the Grand i10 have fixed headrests.
Old 18th April 2016, 10:34   #24
BHPian

I have read that message recently too, but i am wondering if that's practical considering the reaction time needed when a fire erupts. I think a hammer and a fire extinguisher would be more safer bet than trying to get the headrest out.
Old 18th April 2016, 11:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Even I received that message...
We already have such discussion on Car catching fire thread IIRC.
I think the headrests being made pointed for this purpose may be true but that's not the complete picture as if taken out completely the headrest metal ends won't go back easily if they are not pointed and with two of them on each headrest, it would take an expert to do it easily, it's different story altogether as to how often does we need to do it on regular basis.
Now coming back to practicality how can fixed headrests on front seats and removable on rear can be of any help to the driver in a very very serious condition like fire where every split second is precious and critical. That too on latest car launches which are supposed to be getting safer, so I think this message is written by someone who is not familiar with cars but well familiar with the power of WhatsApp.

Pointed detachable headrests are made to break open the glass, maybe but are the practical, a big NO.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 13:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

1. You need to search around youtube - you can easily break the car glasses by throwing spark plugs (the sharp points). If you throw the spark plug lengthwise then it will simply bounce off. So the key thing here is lot of force over a small point.

2. The glasses are usually curved. Convex, looking from outside, and concave while looking from inside. This means one clear thing: it is easier to break the curved glass from inside than from outside.
Old 18th April 2016, 13:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Well, I can confirm that it is not the case in FIAT cars. To remove the head rests of front seats, you have to put a thin long metal object (I use Cycle Spokes) through a narrow hole and press to remove the headrests.

--Anoop
Old 18th April 2016, 13:52   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Detachable head rests were neither made for the mentioned purpose nor any such requirement by law/rule. But the point is, it can be used for breaking the window glass. Not to forget several cars now-a-days come with fixed head rests.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 14:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

This video will answer a few queries...
Old 18th April 2016, 14:31   #30
BHPian

Detachable or not, removing headrests from the seats could consume precious few seconds/minutes, which could prove disastrous in an emergency situation. I keep a hammer like this handy in the door pocket. This doubles up as a seat belt cutter and an emergency light. There is a nice thread here about a special purpose tool to be used to break car windows

Last edited by mahesh_sn : 18th April 2016 at 14:32.

Most Viewed