Team-BHP - UK: Audi & dealers 'lied' about safety testing of their cars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   UK: Audi & dealers 'lied' about safety testing of their cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/151008-uk-audi-dealers-lied-about-safety-testing-their-cars.html)

A BBC Watchdog investigation into Audi has discovered widespread lying about the safety testing of their vehicles.
Undercover researchers witnessed nine out of 10 dealers from around the country falsely claim the Audi A5 was Euro NCAP safety tested.
But the A5 - as well as the A7, A8 and R8 - are not tested. Audi's UK head office falsely claimed that the entire Audi range was Euro NCAP safety tested.
Audi UK said there had not been any deliberate intent to mislead.
Six of the dealers claimed the Audi A5 had achieved the maximum five stars.

Further reading : http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27392157

This report clearly shows the lack of pro-active attitude towards the compliance of actual safety ratings and procedures to ensure driver and vehicle's safety. It is a big dent on those car buyers who fall for a brand just because it's car is 4 or 5 star rated. This report should be treated as a eye opener around the world in my opinion because whether it is a developed nation or a developing nation the craze for owning a luxury car exists every where.

Audi enjoys a respectable standing in the Indian market and such reports are surely going to result in a bad image as well as decline in the brand preference over here.

Thanks

AD

I don't find this astonishing nor do I find it punishable. Are we all saying that today's A5, A7, A8 etc. may not have scored 5 stars had they been tested by ENCAP? Common! The world has got to use some common sense and quit fighting battles founded on fine print all the time.

Ok. So Audi lied ? No, the dealers lied, or rather were mis-informed, and passed the same mis-information to customers.

In anycase, why is the whole automotive industry is so obsessed with Euro NCAP results ?

Asking because, I read something, and I quote below:

Quote:

The Euro NCAP (New Car Assessment Programme) safety tests are funded by various European governments and motoring bodies. Their ratings are frequently cited by manufacturers as a gold standard of safety.
Popular models are either selected for testing by the organisation themselves, or car manufacturers can pay to get their models tested.

But there is no legal requirement for cars to be Euro NCAP tested.
Quote:

"Euro NCAP is not a regulatory body, we have no legislative powers"
So now that leads me to wondering, why was there such a hue and cry over Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo failing the Euro NCAP test ? Just because the tests are stringent as per Euro standards doesn't make them terribly unsafe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 (Post 3434370)
In anycase, why is the whole automotive industry is so obsessed with Euro NCAP results ?

Business with a full stop.

Most of these institutes are primarily research groups focusing on educational or scientific approaches, in this case, automobiles and their behavior .
For consumers, these kind of reports are just like any other reputed reviews, wherein a third party perspective is provided, which can be used as a aid for buying decision.
If we see most of the 'which car to buy' is based on comparison study. How one model fares, compared to another.
Since the tests are standard and the same, it provides an easier comparison board for the consumers.

The industry is too much worried about these, as their results heavily influence buyer decisions, though nothing is bound legally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathlal (Post 3434511)
Business with a full stop.
Most of these institutes are primarily research groups focusing on educational or scientific approaches, in this case, automobiles and their behavior .
For consumers, these kind of reports are just like any other reputed reviews, wherein a third party perspective is provided, which can be used as a aid for buying decision.
If we see most of the 'which car to buy' is based on comparison study. How one model fares, compared to another.
Since the tests are standard and the same, it provides an easier comparison board for the consumers.
The industry is too much worried about these, as their results heavily influence buyer decisions, though nothing is bound legally.

Exactly !! These tests are primarily for research and influencing buyer's decision. This is the reason, why we have so many Awards from some many Organizations given away to so many Cars and Brands.

I mean, every other car is the "Most Awarded Car of the Year", for whatever comparative study they have done.
And the Car is seen with lots of award stickers, including a 5 Star Euro NCAP sticker.

lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathlal (Post 3434511)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 (Post 3434532)
Exactly !! These tests are primarily for research and influencing buyer's decision. This is the reason, why we have so many Awards from some many Organizations given away to so many Cars and Brands.

I mean, every other car is the "Most Awarded Car of the Year", for whatever comparative study they have done.

Very accurately said by both of you. I second your views. I feel this rating pattern should not be the only criteria of judging a car and go on to purchase it; rather individual's perception and self-analysis of the car like the one done by the owner's father in the report is a better way to arrive at a valid decision.

To be honest, I simply do not go by what ratings say or show. My decision is based on my needs, and my orthodox safety parameters like built quality.

Thanks

AD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 (Post 3434370)
So now that leads me to wondering, why was there such a hue and cry over Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo failing the Euro NCAP test ? Just because the tests are stringent as per Euro standards doesn't make them terribly unsafe.

These cars are unsafe whether you like it not.If this was USA, car companies would have faced fines and even court cases like general motors is facing for ignition problem.
So the question why such hue and cry?
About 50 years ago, car companies made people believe that you can't escape from a car accident and cars cannot be made safer.Inspite lot of research papers published by scientist about the need for stronger structure ,seat belts they were ignored by car companies.Then in 1964 a young lawyer named Ralph Nader wrote a book called unsafe at any speed which brought attention to safety in cars.The car he targeted was Chevrolet corvair which had a big safety problem all because General Motors accountant thought a 15$ antiroll bar was unnecessary and it could save GM lot of money for such a "unnecessary" item.
Because of Nader , consumer groups made sure in coming decades we were not taken for a ride by car companies.

So if a company like Audi lies about safety, then it should be taken to courts as it involves people's life.

Though EuroNcap is not legally binding they have introduced a standard system of testing so that , it gives an idea to consumer how safe he can be in this car if he driving within normal speed.Its main benefcator is insurance companies as it helps to reduce claims as unsafer the car more premium you have to pay thereby keeps a check on car companies