Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Pick One
ABS 228 74.51%
Airbag 78 25.49%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 08:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

Since I wanted to say some thing more that was OT here I created this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...eriencing.html
Old 19th May 2014, 08:40   #17
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctsiva View Post
If an OEM offers such an option:

1. ABS is optional
2. Single Driver Airbag is optional
The customer can prefer either both or one feature.

Considering the customer to be Cost and also Safety conscious, which add-on safety feature should he go for ? driver- the answer shall solve the confusion of the customer to choose one.
Actually, both. But considering a budget, it's an interesting talk. If I could only pick one(worst case), ABS is more required than airbag IMHO:
  • ABS can prevent the accident by modulating the brake.
  • On wet roads, ABS is a must
  • For all the hard-braking situation on Indian roads, ABS is a must

What ABS can't do:
  • Protect you when someone it's someone else's mistake
I would still go with D+P sirbag and ABS anyday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I did prefer a car with a sturdy body with ABS rather than going for a car with weak structure and Airbag.
Yes, that's a safe thing, given only one choice. Still, I would go with D+P sirbag and ABS anyday.

Quote:
Well inspite of all this the first and the best safety device is our own brain (speed control) and then everything.
That's something most illiterate(and some literate) Indians lack.
Old 19th May 2014, 08:43   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
If you're capable of mimicking the ABS effect you must be a true superman!
In the days before ABS drivers were taught to "pump" the brake. However, unless you have had proper training and keep current on that technique you're unlikely to do better yourself in an emergency stop then ABS.
At that end it is purely down to attitude towards safe driving, I think. I highly individual choice.

Jeroen
Absolutely correct. An excellent post which creates an instant reality check for any would-be driving hero.

When we learned to drive those old gen Fiats, Amby's and Mahindra Jeeps and Tractors etc in the hills around a quarter century ago, we were always cautioned to brake gently, yet firmly when required.

On wet roads, we were always taught to pump the brakes now and then so that any water logging inside the brake shoes could be flushed out and the occasional pumping would help maintain a constant speed, especially when one crested a rise at a certain speed and then started coasting down the other side and the vehicle tended to pick up speed on account of gravity.

Its difficult to explain, but over a period of time and practice, these things become instinctive and almost second nature.

Today, the average speeds themselves have increased frighteningly. The road infrastructure in India has also improved mightily but then, so has the car population increased exponentially. It is quite possibly true that with greater advances in technology, one could be actually taking greater risks while driving, banking on the technology to pull one out of trouble.

Saying that, there is absolutely no substitute for "intelligent seat of the pants" driving, where you learn enough about the limitations and capabilities of your machine, respect your vehicle, the road and other road users and strive to become "one with your machine" while driving it.

ABS and Airbags are now an absolute essential in my book as are seat belts.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 12:52   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

Mod Note: Public Poll Added

All my cars (except the Jeep) have ABS as well as airbags. That situation isn't going to change with new purchases either.

Of course, if you put a gun to my head, I'd pick ABS over airbags for reasons already outlined by others.

Indian roads are deadly; you simply can't have enough safety features (active & passive) in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Since I have seen how perfectly good cars, have been deemed fatal without airbags and I do know how to pump the brakes (to mimic the ABS's effect) in case of such a situation.
This is grossly misleading . I don't want to take the thread anymore off-topic, but please do NOT recommend that a human pumping the brakes can even come close to the speed & accuracy of an ABS. Modern ABS can engage / disengage the ABS 10 - 15 times a second; it is humanly IMPOSSIBLE to match that....even for Formula 1 drivers.

Today's ABS can also apply / disengage braking pressure to selective wheels. Again, not possible in a non-ABS car.

Lastly, in an absolutely critical situation, you wouldn't have the presence of mind to focus on 'pumping & mimicking the ABS effect'. I for sure wouldn't. If you do have the presence of mind, an ABS would have already done its work before you even start acting on the locked wheel.

If you wish to continue this discussion, please do so on this thread. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 12:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
One prevents, the other protects, It is not an "either or" debate, you need both.

Rs 50000 for ABS - a lot cheaper than Rs 1 lakh for repairing the fender bender
Rs 50000 for airbags, a lot cheaper than Rs 2 lakhs for plastic surgery, days off recovering etc.
I don't think anyone can put it better than this.

Its far better to pay EMI's for one more year than buy a car with a lesser safety kit.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 13:06   #21
BHPian

Voted for airbags simply because I am safe driver and if I know that my car doesn't have ABS, I would be much more careful with speed and keeping safe distance. This is in my hands.

What is not in my hands is that someone banging head-on without my mistake. There airbags would probably save me more than the ABS.

Some would argue about sudden maneuver to be undertaken in case of someone else mistake and then you need ABS. Agreed but if you maintain low speeds normal brakes could also help you to have a control over the vehicle though not as precisely as ABS.

Have driven non-ABS cars (and no airbags as well) for long (Ambassador mark-IIII, Mahindra jeeps, etc) and always felt a need of seat belts and airbags but not so much of ABS because anyway I used to keep a control on speed.

All this considering we have to choose only one. Otherwise I would choose all the safety features that are available in market today simply because you can not put a price tag on safety!
the_skyliner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 13:06   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
What ABS can't do:[*]Protect you when someone it's someone else's mistake
ABS will help you when you brake hard/ suddenly/ reactively, irrespective of whose fault/mistake it is.

At least, with ABS, the car won't behave like an enraged sidewinder, fish-tailing all over the place with its wheels locked.

Saying that, if somebody decides to attack you broad side on, then, only your side curtain airbags might assist in some measure.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 13:57   #23
BHPian

1. ABS "may" protect from banging.
2. Airbag "may" protect fatality.

To me, the "may" of #2 weighs more than #1.

For #1, there are too many variables. ABS may be helpless in some scenarios where Airbag comes in handy.
My vote for #2.
Old 19th May 2014, 13:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is grossly misleading . I don't want to take the thread anymore off-topic, but please do NOT recommend that a human pumping the brakes can even come close to the speed & accuracy of an ABS. Modern ABS can engage / disengage the ABS 10 - 15 times a second; it is humanly IMPOSSIBLE to match that....even for Formula 1 drivers.

Today's ABS can also apply / disengage braking pressure to selective wheels. Again, not possible in a non-ABS car.

Lastly, in an absolutely critical situation, you wouldn't have the presence of mind to focus on 'pumping & mimicking the ABS effect'. I for sure wouldn't. If you do have the presence of mind, an ABS would have already done its work before you even start acting on the locked wheel.

If you wish to continue this discussion, please do so on this thread. Thanks!
With all due respect, please re-read my posts before taking a certain stance. If after reading my posts on this thread, you still feel that members are being mislead, then please do accept my sincere apologies

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th May 2014 at 14:00.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 14:06   #25
BHPian

I wish the Government would intervene and make ABS a standard feature for all vehicles.
Between the two I would choose ABS because I feel it can help prevent an accident.
An incident comes to my mind when I think about the importance of abs- It was raining and I was travelling in my brothers car. The biker in front stopped for some reason, I think to put his helmet on. My bother slammed on the brakes which resulted in the front tyres locking and eventually rear ending the biker.Had the car had ABS he would have been able to stop.
bigben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 15:20   #26
BHPian

Airbag. There are just too many scenarios where a driver might be incapacitated to utilise ABS. A simple example is sleep.
BBR_SHR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 15:26   #27
BHPian

Airbags are far more important.
ABS will help to control a situation. But what if when you don't have enough time to control the situation?
Airbags will help when the situation is at its worse. ABS will help to avoid such situations but not all situations are unavoidable.
Old 19th May 2014, 15:29   #28
BHPian

Both ABS and Airbags I would say , because safety equipment should not be considered an option ,it should be made a necessity .
But if asked to choose one then my vote would go to Airbags . because accidents do happen and when they do then it is the airbags we can keep our faith on to save injuries .
Like Honda every manufacturer must keep the safety equipment level same in all trim levels of a particular model .
lone_driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 15:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

I'd choose Airbags over ABS any day, because the risk arising out of lack of an ABS, can be mitigated, to some extent, by driving more cautiously and slowly, however, in the case of an impact, which is seldom in one's control, an Airbag can save a life.
This decision, for me, would be irrespective of whether or not the Car is structurally safe.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 16:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

I would consider the situation for preferring one over the other as completely irrational. It has to be either both or neither (one can hang lemon and chillies from the front bumper for protection). I would not like to be in that irrational state - I'd rather not buy the car for whatever the car Marketing is trying to tell me. Ditto for whoever even talks of superhuman feats of trying to compensate manually (like brake pumping) - thanks, but no thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks