Team-BHP > Road Safety

View Poll Results: Pick One
ABS 228 74.51%
Airbag 78 25.49%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2014, 09:43   #46
BHPian

Re: ABS or Airbag: If you had to pick one?

ABS anyday!

There are times when I try pumping brakes and find them quite efficient, however I have faced emergency braking situations wherein you can't focus on brake pumping and maneuvering becomes your utmost priority.
sudeep.pandya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 10:05   #47
BHPian

Prevention is better than cure!
If there was an option, why invest in something that will help when an accident occurs, rather than on something that might help avoid it in the first place.
Old 20th May 2014, 11:35   #48
BHPian

Had opted for ABS. In 2007 when I was on the look out for a car (diesel) for less than 10 Lakhs no car was available with airbags. Infact the choice was between Verna, Swift, Fiesta, Scorpio. I went ahead with Verna as it was available easily (Swift had a waiting list of 6 months) and Ford's service was suspect in Mysore (where I was then). The SX with ABS was the highest option available then. It sure has changed now with lot many manufacturers providing ABS+Airbags as an option.
Old 20th May 2014, 11:49   #49
BHPian

Voted for Airbag. I think any braking system without ABS will still considerably slow down the car presuming that one brakes on time and hopefully the airbag will help in surviving the impact.

I would on any day select airbag (only if I cannot select both) simply because, I can compensate for not having ABS by driving slower but can never compensate for not having an airbag. It will take lot of getting used to and patience to always drive sedately but still it is well worth it.
Anand3553 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 12:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
But the problem is, what will you do when you can't prevent? There are so many variables involved where you cannot prevent.
In that sense, ABS is bumper saver. Airbag is life saver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand3553 View Post
Voted for Airbag. I think any braking system without ABS will still considerably slow down the car presuming that one brakes on time and hopefully the airbag will help in surviving the impact.
I totally accept your logic. However, the airbag is heavily dependent on the sensors that help in it's deployment in times of a crash. Talking of the variables, my point is what if the car hits from an angel where there is no sensor to deploy an airbag ?

I believe, the first point to be adhered in an unavoidable crash situation is to have a pro-active braking setup; the airbags are secondary.

Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 14:02   #51
BHPian

I would go for ABS, rather than Airbags. IMO ABS works more than airbags, and is generally in use most of the times. Airbags gets deployed only after the impact, and I have also heard that even a minor bump could get the airbag activated (correct me if I am wrong). Anyways, we have the primary restraint system (seat belts) to help us.
Old 20th May 2014, 17:18   #52
BHPian

Interesting survey and equally interesting response. I will always choose Brake First and Air-Bag next, as I did in this survey response as well.

The sequence can be depicted as below:

Hazard Recognition -> Brake -> Collision? -> Deployment of Airbags

Obviously, brake comes first.

However, I can also not discount Air-bags. If there was an option to choose 'both' I would have selected that!

Stepping back and pondering, automobiles are actually 'killer machines'. Airbags and ABS primarily protect the car in-mates. They provide confidence to the driver to step-up on the pedal and explore higher KMPH / MPH.

But are the Indian roads designed for such high speeds?
Is the traffic more regulated?
Does the average Indian road user understand these new age cars and their speeds / accelerations?
What safety systems are there for the road user who is on a bi-cycle, scooter, moped, motor-cycle, different animal driven carts and even pedestrians?

More than the in-built safety systems in a car, it is the driver behavior and instinct which can prevent accidents and fatalities.
Old 20th May 2014, 18:06   #53
BHPian

It has to be ABS hands down all the way because ABS saves accident thereby saving all seated in the car and single Airbag probably (not certainly) saves the driver ONLY.
"Prevention is better than Cure"
In my case, it was a question of deciding between single air bag and multiple air bags, I chose the latter so that every one is safe and god forbid if something happens, I know I am always at the steering, what will I do surviving alone if I opt for single air bag
Always look for the safety of all family members first
Old 20th May 2014, 21:15   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Of my two cars, one has both ABS and airbags; the other sadly has neither. It renders the latter effectively useless as anything other than a low-speed city commuter really.

So my answer is based on this understanding of your question: which feature would I *add* to my Swift Vxi (if I could)? And the answer would have to ABS.

Reason is simple: I have had occasion to use ABS several times on my Vento. It is a useful feature and, contrary to popular perception, one that kicks in even at relatively low speeds (40-50 kph) in sudden braking situations. Airbags are like a backup rip cord on your parachute- you only need them to work once but that one time will probably save your life!
Old 20th May 2014, 23:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

This is an experience that I have shared before on the forum, but still sharing it again. I was a few months back driving to Bangalore from Pune. Somewhere on the outskirts of Hubli I had a scary encounter. It was already dusk and the deteriorating light meant that I was very cautious with speed, driving between 60-80 kms per hr. The median on the highway had thick vegetation. At one stretch, there was a slight curve to the road. As I approached the curve, suddenly a man shot out from the shrubs on the median to the road. Worse even, the moment he saw me he panicked and froze for a moment. Then instead of moving away, he darted further into my path. I slammed the brake, steered the car around him from his behind safe and sound. I could hear a faint squeal of the rubber and felt the pulsation of ABS coming into action.

Had my car not got ABS, I am sure the wheels would have locked up and I might have not have been able to steer the vehicle clear or even worse, it would ve spun out of control probably off the road.

Airbags would not have helped me if I hit the guy. I am not for an instant saying that airbags are not necessary. They are absolutely mandatory. But made to choose between airbags and ABS, I would go for the latter.

Last edited by vibbs : 20th May 2014 at 23:19.
Old 21st May 2014, 12:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Most of the members have used the term “prevention is better than cure” and thus ABS is the choice. Well said and accepted, even I would have preferred that if I have to read and interpret what’s being said.

For me, one may find it amusing, but ABS and Airbag, both are preventions; it’s just the position of the equipment that gives a different interpretation of prevention and cure. Both prevent the occupant in the car.

ABS: Prevents the car from accident and thus the occupant gets prevented invariably.

Airbag: Prevents the occupant from accident, though the car has already participated in the accident.

In simple terms – ABS considers car and the occupant as one unit, whereas Airbag separates the occupant from the car. It’s our subconscious analysis which picks up one of the two instruments when made to choose, though we want both which is very much evident from several discussions in the forum. There is nothing right or wrong in it.

Drive Safe

Cheers
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 18:43   #57
BHPian

As the thought of buying a new car is creating havoc in my mind, i am sure of buying a car with both these features as well as i am also looking for structural rigidity of the vehicle i intend to buy. If i look at my garage of small cars, i feel that Spark feels more solidly built as compared to my Ritz. But as someone has rightly siad, one cannot have the best of all the world, hence if we look at all the features(ABS/Airbags/Structural rigidity/Solid built), we would have a car with lesser mileage and accelaration. Else the car is sure to have a higher cost.

Experts, plz guide me to any such car within a range of 10 lakhs and i would surely consider buying it.
Old 21st May 2014, 18:54   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Experts, plz guide me to any such car within a range of 10 lakhs and i would surely consider buying it.
This is OT, but you've got a million rupees to spend and you're not sure what to buy? You can get yourself a Polo GT or a top of the line Swift or even a 90hp Punto with spare cash for a desperately needed remap They all come with ABS, dual airbags, and a structurally safe cabin
Old 21st May 2014, 22:58   #59
BHPian

Given the situation, if I had to decide ABS and AIR BAGS, I will definitely choose ABS. My understanding is that, ABS provides more control over the car even in panic breaking, hence driver can totally avoid an accident.

But more important is that, seat belts save lives. Even with an ABS equipped car, if the driver brakes hard, it will do considerable damage. So always buckle up.
Old 21st May 2014, 23:16   #60
BHPian

I would go for ABS any day. Reason being that the number of variables associated with it is only one,ie the driver should brake. Airbags on the other hand have many more variables associated with it,ie the location of impact, whether the occupants are belted up, the number of airbags,whether the basic structure of the car is retained in the crash etc. Like someone pointed out, ABS works on the entire car, whereas Airbags are localized protection elements, is it not better to have something that works on the entire car?

Most Viewed