Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2014, 13:16   #31
BHPian

Re: About 'Right of Way' & Safe Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
... I see many driver who neither drive on right lane nor in middle lane. He occupies both lane by half each...
I think most such drivers have no clue how wide their car is and/or of the car's position on the road. I've seen small hatches flashing oncoming vehicles to make way for them on a road (2 lane) that is wide enough for 3 cars!
Old 29th June 2014, 18:00   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Just because others do not ...... no reason for us to loose courtesy.

Most of the places flashing head lights is "come up - you first" but here using flashing headlights is akin to glaring at you and forcing you to stop. Courtesy and right of way indeed.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 19:51   #33
BHPian

Haha I think they take the "Pass" light to mean "I want to pass" rather than "You may pass"
Old 30th June 2014, 00:12   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Most of the places flashing head lights is "come up - you first" ...
In UK, it is a bit weird. According to the Highway Code, there is no such "after you" signal, and flashing lights should only be used to mean the same as a horn blast. This is, by common agreement, completely ignored, and everyone uses the flash to mean "you first."
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 10:55   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the places flashing head lights is "come up - you first" but here using flashing headlights is akin to glaring at you and forcing you to stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo6 View Post
Haha I think they take the "Pass" light to mean "I want to pass" rather than "You may pass"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In UK, it is a bit weird. According to the Highway Code, there is no such "after you" signal, and flashing lights should only be used to mean the same as a horn blast.
Internationally, flashing your headlights only announces your presence, and is not meant to communicate any other message to another motorist. The messages that are supposed to be conveyed (such as "you first" or "to hell with you - here I come") are region/country-specific, and are best ignored at your own peril.

Another oddball "you may pass" signal used especially in North India is the habit of turning on your right indicator to tell the vehicle behind that he is being allowed to overtake. Now if you want to indicate a lane change to the right lane, beware! - the vehicle behind would have nosed in into your right rear door and straight into your blind spot while you are proceeding to move across to the right.
Old 30th June 2014, 14:07   #36
BHPian

Using the indiacators for anything other than indicating one's change of direction is plain stupid! Some drivers do it here in the South as well. Thankfully most truckers still use their hand to signal it's safe to pass.

Another misuse of the indicator I've noticed is when you are overtaking a vehicle on a 2 lane road, an oncoming vehicle may turn on his right indicator as if to say "Get back to your side of the road!"

Another thing I noticed is when you're going along in your lane and a slow oncoming bus overtaking a slow lorry wants you to make way for him by getting off the road. He doesn't flash his headlights, he uses the right indicator! You never know for sure what's going on in their mind.
Old 30th June 2014, 15:15   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

So what is likely to happen when light turns green?

As it is there is restricted lanes due to construction. I am in the right most lane. The lanes on my right are for traffic turning right!
Attached Thumbnails
About 'Right of Way' & Safe Driving-1404121497417.jpg  

Last edited by sudev : 30th June 2014 at 15:27.
Old 30th June 2014, 17:10   #38
BHPian

Right of way is something that we Indians have no clue about. It's not in our culture at all!! Honestly, even I learnt about right-of-way and stuff only after I heard about traffic rules in Dubai from my sis and when i actually visited Dubai! Indian drivers have no clue about when and where to give right of way IMO. Here it's all about giving right of way to the bigger vehicle, especially BEST buses!! You don't wanna mess with them!!
Old 30th June 2014, 18:02   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can observe that you have positioned your car very strategically!

Not sure if other readers will understand that...
Old 30th June 2014, 18:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

As a wise man once said, In India everyone has the right of way and adding that with the saying might is right & the bigger vehicle is at fault, it becomes a scary proposition to drive at times.

The road i take back to get home from work has a very peculiar sign. It is a T junction, and while we say that the vehicles on your right have the right of way, here there is a sign to give way for vehicles joining the road. Makes me shake my head everytime.

And as for the right indicator being used to sometime signal overtaking, i experience that almost every other night. To enter my apartment building i have to take a right turn and i stick to the extreme end of the lane, switch on my indicators ensure no one is overtaking me and i turn. And what is scary is sometimes the vehicle behind follows me into the turn. Scary moments.

And as long as our driving schools teach students on how to get a license and not how to drive, we will only suffer.
Old 30th June 2014, 19:54   #41
BHPian

'My way or the highway' is what most of the Indians have in mind when they drive.

The only way to counter this attitude is to be aware yourself and anticipate what others might do on the road (which will come naturally to you, once you have spent some time on the road).

I stay near Yelahanka as well. For example,while joining the main carriageway from Kodigehalli gate, you connect near the Esteem mall (for those who know)and some of the vehicles join the road from Kempapura.

About 'Right of Way' & Safe Driving-untitled.jpg

Road 1- This is the elevated flyover from the airport.
Road 2- Road from Kodigehalli gate.
Road 3- Road from Kempapura

Road 3 is a side road (not a major one), whereas most of the traffic is from Road 1 and Road 2.

Most of the vehicles from Road 3, I've observed, don't even bother to slowdown and check their right before joining Road 1. This includes school buses as well.

Most of the drivers feel that the other vehicle will watch out for them. They will only learn that this is not the case when they come across another one, who thinks in the same manner.

So, the probability of such drivers neutralizing each other and only the good drivers remaining on the road is very slim .

Until then, we need to expect such morons on the road.
Old 30th June 2014, 20:38   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Same story at railway crossings: both sides occupy the entire width of the road. How is traffic supposed to move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

You mean anyone to the right of Sudev is wrong?
Old 1st July 2014, 06:48   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

No. Not intentionally. The guy from left just barged in so stopped short with lots of space on right.
Old 1st July 2014, 08:21   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No. Not intentionally. The guy from left just barged in so stopped short with lots of space on right.
Ah! If it wasn't intentional, you need to do more of this intentionally. Would you mind my borrowing this image for teaching purposes?
Old 1st July 2014, 13:29   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Another instance of 'Right of way' abuse. So what if my road is blocked. I will get on the 'other side' and create a bigger almighty mess!

And on the other side of blockade there would be 'right of way' users coming on this side of the road.

Took half and hour to cover a 200 meter stretch.

Same happens at railway crossings as some one already pointed out.

Right of way abuse is not what this thread is about it is about under standing courtesy and giving other right of way for smoother flow of traffic. Raising peoples consciousness if step one. Be an enlightened road user after all you are already among elite drivers being member of these forums.
Attached Thumbnails
About 'Right of Way' & Safe Driving-1404201483163.jpg  

Last edited by sudev : 1st July 2014 at 13:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks