Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2014, 23:00   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Some crazy ideas!

Folks! I am a technical novice but still I am putting across some ideas;

1) As the parents have a habit of leaving their child behind in the car quite often so in that circumstance, the driver side window glass should not roll up even though the door is locked. This mechanism can prevent suffocation.

2) Just like in Aero planes we have smoke detectors, the same device can be used with some R&D (to not buzz with on-road pollution) in cars too. It can actually be connected to all 4 window glasses and in case of smoke from hood, the glasses automatically roll down so that people can be saved instead of being trapped and suffocated. This can work even if the central locking is malfunctioning. This can also reduce the smoking of drivers.

3) I feel we can have a bio-metric thumb recognition system to start the vehicle instead of sim-cards and smart cards and punched keys. All technical devices can be hacked or duplicated but the human thumb impression is really hard to replicate. This shall help in reducing car thefts. Its just the same device that is used commonly in the offices today for employee attendance.

Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 10:29   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Well this one was there in my Old Maruti 800. Blow horn for more than 10-15 sec and it just dies off telling me that its enough for the time being. Then it rejuvenates after around 5 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Some of the features which the tablet can provide:
  • Navigation
  • Music player
  • Video player
  • Has inbuilt storage
  • Dash-cam(slight mod needed)
  • Diagnostic tool
  • Gaming
  • Performance statistics
  • Browsing
  • Control for ambient light
  • SOS option
  • Service centre guys can remotely access the tab's diagnostics tool in case of a breakdown(softwares like teamviewer can help)
  • New software can be developed to make it work as a tracker too!
  • Vehicle's maintenance schedule/other remainders like insurance and stuff
  • Compass, altimeter, gradient meter etc...
  • Weather report

Well this is not a crazy idea, but even some of the ideas posted by OP can be included in this! And most important thing here is that development cost for all these features(almost all of them already exist) will be low enough to include it without major increase in price! imagine a nano with all these features at 3L on-road!
Whoa! It would be great to see all these getting implemented neatly and available at the driver's disposal at the press of a button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
Some interesting points shared here, one crazy idea from my side too.

Driver information system should show how much distance (may be approx.) you need to STOP your car as I have seen many drivers follow other cars at a very marginal distance even at high speed which is very risky. I feel this is one of the reason of accidents.

If the sensor judges that the distance from the car ahead is less than of what which is need to stop the car then it should warn the driver.

Don't know any high end car have this feature or not.

Drive safe!

-
SS
Yes indeed it's a good idea. But I feel displaying number won't help much. Instead we can go for a warning lamp or some graphic display where light turns red when the braking distance may cause an accident.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:57   #63
BHPian

Not a crazy idea, but a wishlist
- Non blinding headlights(http://www.chevroletdealermilwaukee....er-headlights/ , http://indianeer.in/multi-beam-led-h...mercedes-benz/) like Audi A8
Old 27th August 2014, 11:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
You know the white stop line we have for every traffic signal? Put a weight sensing band or something below it and a camera on the signal post. As soon as a car crosses the line on a red signal (either breaking the red light or not stopping before the white line), it should activate the camera and a picture of the offender should be captured.
To address this issue which with every passing day is becoming of gigantic proportions i.e ignore the traffic signals - a thought has been in my minds for the last few days (blame it on the english movies). Have multiple stopper of some kind (similar to nails) after the white line which pops up (from undergound) when the signal is Red and stays on till the signal becomes green after which it drops down allowing traffic to proceed. Any signal violator will not be able to move when the stopper is up (imagine a solid steel stopper). Had seen this in a Nicholas Cage movie (National treasure series).
Old 27th August 2014, 12:40   #65
Team-BHP Support

Auto high-beam control - A friend had actually made a working prototype of this during the 12th grade; designs referred from an article published in the EFY magazine back in 2003.

It was a simple LDR based circuit which would switch the beam using a 12V relay when light from a vehicle on the opposite lane was detected and would switch back to the high beam once the light source goes away. This could not be installed on an actual vehicle and demonstrated. Instead, it was a table-top setup using 2 separate bulbs and a torch was shone from a distance of about 15 feet; it worked well. At least for a project, it did, the judges were mighty impressed and it won several accolades. I am sure car manufacturers can do better than that.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 19:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
[*]I am on self protection mode!
When a car is losing oil or coolant and driving further will damage the engine, car stops and refuses to start to avoid further damages. In case of a commercial vehicle; if payload is say 1.5T and it's loaded beyond the limit, it won't start till the load is reduced.
This feature is there in most cars, the ECU goes into safe mode to avoid damage to engine. It is there in my 2002 Palio, A/c, performance everything drops when engine overheats. That's how I realized once that the engine has overheated.
Old 28th August 2014, 21:37   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Some brilliant ideas there, thanks for sharing. A lot of them are already implemented. For example...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
[*]Are you smoking/drunk?
When my car's A/C system determines the alcohol in your breath when on air re circulation mode, it stops and refuses to go ahead.
A system called alcohol ignition interlock is already implemented in many countries. You can read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_interlock_device
Old 29th August 2014, 15:18   #68
BHPian

Automatic/ self driving car are the future. They are undergoing trials in the US and EU and will eventually help in achieving a significant reduction in accidents.

For speed limit, the cars should have the ECU receive a signal from either GPS which would advise the speed limit for that road or from smart speed limit signs that could transmit such a signal to vehicles. Then the vehicles should not exceed that limit while on that road with perhaps a small margin provided. I am surprised that this hasn't been tried anywhere yet as it seems like an easy step to take, at least on some major highways. Of course the government would have to legislate that such features be included in all vehicles going forward say from 2018.
Old 30th August 2014, 11:44   #69
BHPian

A couple of ideas to reduce noise pollution in general:

Some type of sensor could be introduced in all vehicles such that if you honk there will be no actual noise / little sound outside the car but the sensor in the other car will create some noise within the car to alert them. However there is a problem to this idea which I can't think of a solution to the above is the sound alert for pedestrians.

One more idea to reduce excessive honking is to have the same horn speaker inside the vehicle cabin that will give the driver a taste of its own medicine. But I think this might act as a deterrence to the mindless honking that we see in our cities.
Old 30th August 2014, 11:48   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
One more idea to reduce excessive honking is to have the same horn speaker inside the vehicle cabin that will give the driver a taste of its own medicine. But I think this might act as a deterrence to the mindless honking that we see in our cities.
I think the best idea to control unnecessary honking is to manufacture horns with 'limited honks per device'! Say like only 2000 honks per horn and then you will have to replace the horn
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 12:10   #71
BHPian

There needs to be a technology where one car turning towards a blind turn will automatically sense if there is another car coming from the other side and whether it is in the same range.

This is already being worked on in the US.

Read more about it on the below mentioned link.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-...ies.htm#page=1

Last edited by JASMEET MATTOO : 30th August 2014 at 12:11. Reason: Clarifying a statement
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:57   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
To address this issue which with every passing day is becoming of gigantic proportions i.e ignore the traffic signals - a thought has been in my minds for the last few days (blame it on the english movies). Have multiple stopper of some kind (similar to nails) after the white line which pops up (from undergound) when the signal is Red and stays on till the signal becomes green after which it drops down allowing traffic to proceed. Any signal violator will not be able to move when the stopper is up (imagine a solid steel stopper). Had seen this in a Nicholas Cage movie (National treasure series).
I will not recommend this personally since it can be a safety hazard incase a speeding vehicle is not able to stop on time!

Also, it can be a hindrance for emergency vehicles like ambulance & fire trucks.
Old 2nd September 2014, 15:17   #73
BHPian

might be a funny idea, but i see the need for a mosquito repellent in vehicles. Would like to see something which plugs into the power port and is small \ less harmful to operate in a closed environment. Specially see a need for this in buses.

Alternatively if a car perfume can perform this dual role, this will be useful.

Regards
Ronald
scarecrow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 15:34   #74
BHPian

How about an airbag for the entire car . My car has got so many 'battle scars' that it now appears to have come from an James Bond movie. What if there an airbag that gets deployed outside (and inside, if needed) the car to prevent small dents and scratches on the car.

In India this will happen every 5 mins. But hey, we are discussing crazy ideas
Old 22nd July 2018, 09:17   #75
BHPian

Re: Innovative ideas on road safety & convenience by school kids!

Came across this news related to this thread. I couldn't find the other latest thread, if any mod's please relocate.

Goa education department planned to introduce a chapter on road safety in the school curriculum from August 2018 onward.

News

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks