Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 22:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Some crazy ideas!

• Quote:
  • Seat belts please!
  • -Just strap the belts and get seated after(many already do it to avoid seatbelt warning)

Quote:
  • I will protect the environment!
    When engine starts emitting extra smoke due to adulterated fuel or extra load (in case of commercial vehicles) my car stops showing me the Save Environment lamp!
  • -Lamp's fuse may blow-out due to quality of fuel we get

Quote:
  • I am on self protection mode!
    When a car is losing oil or coolant and driving further will damage the engine, car stops and refuses to start to avoid further damages. In case of a commercial vehicle; if payload is say 1.5T and it's loaded beyond the limit, it won't start till the load is reduced.
  • -This might leave us stranded in unsafe places!

Quote:
  • Key in my speed!
    You can key in the maximum speed of the car when needed. Like when someone is learning to drive the car, or when your kid having learner's licence is driving, or you are giving your car to a chauffeur, cab drivers, school bus etc. Also useful for kids taking out car when parents are sleeping and speeding on empty roads.
  • -We at-least a warning or an alarm with this feature.

Quote:
  • Are you smoking/drunk?
    When my car's A/C system determines the alcohol in your breath when on air re circulation mode, it stops and refuses to go ahead.
  • -we can have some kind of testing device, else car may not start if the passenger is drunk

Quote:
  • No honking
    When you are honking excessively, car's horn goes silent for few minutes.
  • -This feature should be made mandatory in India, better we can have a boxing glove punching the driver's face

Quote:
  • Headlights/Taillights not working
    When day light sensor senses dark and my headlamp/tail lamp is not working; my car will warn me and reduce the speed to 40 km/hr and will travel only 5 kms etc
  • -Warning light/message on MID will be good.

Quote:
  • Rain sensing wiper speed will decide the maximum speed of the car when working
  • -Might be a good idea

Quote:
  • When car is in neutral and rolling and if you try to switch off engine; it won't until you stop completely
  • This is one dangerous thing that people do, neat idea.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th August 2014 at 15:22. Reason: Adding quote boxes.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 22:56   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Hi All

[*]Key in my speed!
You can key in the maximum speed of the car when needed. Like when someone is learning to drive the car, or when your kid having learner's licence is driving, or you are giving your car to a chauffeur, cab drivers, school bus etc. Also useful for kids taking out car when parents are sleeping and speeding on empty roads.
!
This feature exists on Mahindra vehicles. I have a quanto and I can set the maximum speed. It does allow you to G beyond the speed but with warning beeps sounding.
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 23:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • Seat belts please!
  • I will protect the environment!
  • I am on self protection mode!
  • Key in my speed!
  • Are you smoking/drunk?
  • No honking
  • Headlights/Taillights not working
  • Rain sensing wiper speed will decide the maximum speed of the car when working
  • When car is in neutral and rolling and if you try to switch off engine; it won't until you stop completely
1) Seat belts need to be worn irrespective of car's speed. Whether being driven on highway, city road or any where, one should strap on and then drive.

2) Common sense says, Don't be a lazy bum and go get a valid PUC. Costs only INR 80 to 100/-. Also, use unleaded Petrol.

3) The mindset of commercial fleet owners in India wont ever allow this. Don't you know in India, be it a Auto Rickshaw, A Train compartment, or even a darn lift in the building, people have the tendency of saying "Bhai sahab thoda adjust karlo" even after reading the warning about weight/ number of person that can be accommodated on it.

4) It is similar to speed governors. This wont be of any help because rule breakers are more than rule makers in our country.

5) There is a thing called thermostat, the setting can obviously be changed.

6) Silence for few minutes on Indian roads is far fetched. If it goes silent then the driver shall break the hell out of it but not improve the habit. Many attempts in this regards have become a laughing matter.

7) Really funny! Do you expect the owner to be calm and composed and think logically like Thomas Edison (who invented light) as to what would be the possible cause in the middle of the road/ route. If the car stops because of this, probably next day it will land either at Maruti True Value or Toyota U Trust etc.

8) As it is when it rains, the traffic crawls so no need of such wipers.

9) What are hand brakes for?

Just drive with right mindset and follow the traffic rules. Enjoy life instead of using bulbs, flashers and buttons of the car to control your instincts.

Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 09:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

C'mon guys, do try to find a counter argument behind ever point "StepUP!" has mentioned. Heck, the thread title itself says "Crazy Ideas"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
1) Seat belts need to be worn irrespective of car's speed. Whether being driven on highway, city road or any where, one should strap on and then drive.
Just drive with right mindset and follow the traffic rules. Enjoy life instead of using bulbs, flashers and buttons of the car to control your instincts.

Thanks
Agreed with all the points you mentioned, but how many people follow such rules diligently.

The OP has just mentioned some "crazy" ideas to ensure that these rules are forcefully enforced.

@StepUP! :

I have some too -

* You know the white stop line we have for every traffic signal? Put a weight sensing band or something below it and a camera on the signal post. As soon as a car crosses the line on a red signal (either breaking the red light or not stopping before the white line), it should activate the camera and a picture of the offender should be captured.

* Some sort of a light detector on the front windshield... If the car detects an oncoming car via it's headlights, it will automatically switch the high beam to low beam.
raj_5004 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 10:30   #50
BHPian

I recently got my licence converted to a smartcard, and it occurred to me, why not have a smartcard reader installed in a car, linked to the engine immobilizer. That way, the car will not move unless being driven by an authorised person. (There could be an emergency override or something of course). Once validated, this info could even be transmitted to police / traffic control authorities nearby which would reduce the need for stopping vehicles to check for papers.
ajitkommini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 11:06   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
  • -This might leave us stranded in unsafe places!

-we can have some kind of testing device, else car may not start if the passenger is drunk

-This feature should be made mandatory in India, better we can have a boxing glove punching the driver's face

This is one dangerous thing that people do, neat idea.

Agree to you on these. Loved the boxing glove idea! Even I can think of car spitting some petrol/diesel if you honk excessively

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
This feature exists on Mahindra vehicles. I have a quanto and I can set the maximum speed. It does allow you to G beyond the speed but with warning beeps sounding.
Okay. I didn't know this. Good to see it's already implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
2) Common sense says, Don't be a lazy bum and go get a valid PUC. Costs only INR 80 to 100/-. Also, use unleaded Petrol.
3) The mindset of commercial fleet owners in India wont ever allow this. Don't you know in India, be it a Auto Rickshaw, A Train compartment, or even a darn lift in the building, people have the tendency of saying "Bhai sahab thoda adjust karlo" even after reading the warning about weight/ number of person that can be accommodated on it.

4) It is similar to speed governors. This wont be of any help because rule breakers are more than rule makers in our country.

5) There is a thing called thermostat, the setting can obviously be changed.

6) Silence for few minutes on Indian roads is far fetched. If it goes silent then the driver shall break the hell out of it but not improve the habit. Many attempts in this regards have become a laughing matter.
7) Really funny! Do you expect the owner to be calm and composed and think logically like Thomas Edison (who invented light) as to what would be the possible cause in the middle of the road/ route. If the car stops because of this, probably next day it will land either at Maruti True Value or Toyota U Trust etc.
8) As it is when it rains, the traffic crawls so no need of such wipers.
9) What are hand brakes for?
Thanks
This is what is missing Sir. "The right mindset/follow rules". I want to make this attitude "helpless" when people say "Signal todna Chalta Hai" ; "India me ye sab nahi chalega" etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
C'mon guys, do try to find a counter argument behind ever point "StepUP!" has mentioned. Heck, the thread title itself says "Crazy Ideas"!
Agreed with all the points you mentioned, but how many people follow such rules diligently.
The OP has just mentioned some "crazy" ideas to ensure that these rules are forcefully enforced.
@StepUP! :
I have some too -
* You know the white stop line we have for every traffic signal? Put a weight sensing band or something below it and a camera on the signal post. As soon as a car crosses the line on a red signal (either breaking the red light or not stopping before the white line), it should activate the camera and a picture of the offender should be captured.
* Some sort of a light detector on the front windshield... If the car detects an oncoming car via it's headlights, it will automatically switch the high beam to low beam.

Yes. Agreed. We Indians must be forced to follow rules. Take a simple thing; Government is enforcing helmets for all 2 wheelers but people protest against it giving silly reasons.

When I see people risking their lives, breaking traffic rules I sometime get such ideas.

I feel my car should have hydraulic arms in front like a JCB. When someone is coming in wrong lane, breaking a signal ahead, I will extend these arms and hook these people along with their car to some tree
Old 26th August 2014, 11:15   #52
BHPian

Quote:

[*]No honking
When you are honking excessively, car's horn goes silent for few minutes.
Well this one was there in my Old Maruti 800. Blow horn for more than 10-15 sec and it just dies off telling me that its enough for the time being. Then it rejuvenates after around 5 mins.
rahulk2510 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 11:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

One idea which I often get is to integrate an android tablet to the car's dashboard, yes this is in experimental stage and few cars even come with similar setup, but I am mean how hard can it be to implement on mass produced cars? normal android/ios phone has tonnes of feature which might be useful for us in many ways.

Some of the features which the tablet can provide:
  • Navigation
  • Music player
  • Video player
  • Has inbuilt storage
  • Dash-cam(slight mod needed)
  • Diagnostic tool
  • Gaming
  • Performance statistics
  • Browsing
  • Control for ambient light
  • SOS option
  • Service centre guys can remotely access the tab's diagnostics tool in case of a breakdown(softwares like teamviewer can help)
  • New software can be developed to make it work as a tracker too!
  • Vehicle's maintenance schedule/other remainders like insurance and stuff
  • Compass, altimeter, gradient meter etc...
  • Weather report

Well this is not a crazy idea, but even some of the ideas posted by OP can be included in this! And most important thing here is that development cost for all these features(almost all of them already exist) will be low enough to include it without major increase in price! imagine a nano with all these features at 3L on-road!

Last edited by giri1.8 : 26th August 2014 at 11:28.
Old 26th August 2014, 13:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

Well. Step Up, a nice thread but honestly misleading!!

All the ideas are actually very good ones and not really crazy.
Few disconnects:

1) Seat belt is mandatory. Even at 5KMPH one needs to buckle up. Reminds me of a bike long time back called LML Adreno and LML Energy. They had the facility that if your side stand is engaged, you cannot slot the gears!!

2) Coolant : You cannot depend on this considering you could end up in a desolate/unsafe place and a car that doesnt move!!
Old 26th August 2014, 16:43   #55
BHPian

Some interesting points shared here, one crazy idea from my side too.

Driver information system should show how much distance (may be approx.) you need to STOP your car as I have seen many drivers follow other cars at a very marginal distance even at high speed which is very risky. I feel this is one of the reason of accidents.

If the sensor judges that the distance from the car ahead is less than of what which is need to stop the car then it should warn the driver.

Don't know any high end car have this feature or not.

Drive safe!

-
SS
SaurabhSaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 17:01   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
1) Seat belt is mandatory. Even at 5KMPH one needs to buckle up. Reminds me of a bike long time back called LML Adreno and LML Energy. They had the facility that if your side stand is engaged, you cannot slot the gears!!
The idea here is to discourage people from driving without seatbelts and the OP is in no way suggesting that upto 30kph is safe. Nobody would continue driving below 30kph (or whatever preset limit) just to avoid the seat belts and hence will be forced to wear the seat belt.
It is just like the doors getting autolocked above a certain speed does not imply that falling off from the car below that speed is safe.
anuragn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 17:21   #57
Team-BHP Support

I think customers will avoid buying cars with such safety "features". Safety features in automobiles need to be "invisible" (ABS, airbags, crumple zones etc) - only then it will be accepted by customers. Safety features should never reduce the functionality of a car.

But it might work only if it is mandated by law, and all vehicles have these so "safety features".
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 17:39   #58
BHPian

I would call these noble ideas instead of crazy. Many of these are already available however, don't get the same level of priority as decals, leather seats, and chrome bits in marketing messages. With Indian consumer becoming better informed and more demanding, the time when many of these features become standard, isn't far.

Some of the features/ideas that are already present:
  • In my car (Linea T-jet), it's impossible to drive without wearing seat-belts. It's not a beep or ting, rather an uninterrupted and loud teeeeeeeeee.
  • Speed buzzer is becoming a common feature in cars with advanced MID.
  • Auto-headlamps might also become common in near future.
  • Auto-wipers (wiper speed adjusted as per vehicle's speed, not the other way round) is also becoming popular.
  • There's technology available to link breath-analyser with car's key. It's been there for long. Perhaps the car cos. are waiting for some regulation before it becomes standard. I found this link while searching for the solution.
  • ECUs are quite advanced and they can prompt messages for a faulty cat-con to incorrect oil-pressure to less voltage. There are a number of parameters tracked by the ECU, I don't understand why manufacturers can't share the basic/important readings through MID.

There are two ways of getting things done. One is by carrot and other by stick. There are manufacturers like Volvo that take pride in safety/technology, and then there are others that add stickers and sell Rally-Sport versions. Guess it's time the government wields the stick and makes these manufacturers give safety, equal importance.
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 18:30   #59
BHPian

Quote:
One idea which I often get is to integrate an android tablet to the car's dashboard
Samsung Galaxy Tab2 installed in BMW X-1, please refer to the link below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ll-bmw-x1.html
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 19:47   #60
BHPian

Quote:
normal android/ios phone has tonnes of feature which might be useful for us in many ways.
Well this is not a crazy idea, but even some of the ideas posted by OP can be included in this! And most important thing here is that development cost for all these features(almost all of them already exist) will be low enough to include it without major increase in price! imagine a nano with all these features at 3L on-road!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
[*]ECUs are quite advanced and they can prompt messages for a faulty cat-con to incorrect oil-pressure to less voltage. There are a number of parameters tracked by the ECU, I don't understand why manufacturers can't share the basic/important readings through MID.
Data inputs of car's performance must be broadcast by the ECU to enable tablet or programs in tablet to process and inform the driver. Even in the OBD II port, you will not be getting performance parameters barring few commons like speed, engine load in % etc.

They are not sharing the data tracked by ECU due to many reasons. On a fundamental note, I could think of the following:
1. First of all, no binding requirement on them to share
2. To protect their design specifications which are unique to car models

I tried to use OBD II Bluetooth adapter in my i20 Diesel but ended up getting only basic parameters and not real time dynamic parameters. I get to know speed, coolant temperature, engine load in %. I could not get fuel feed rate, turbo boost pressure, MAP etc. Later, I learned that EDC 17 is the Bosch control system for the Diesel Engine and they do protect lots of data from unauthorized access.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks