Courtesy Times of India
Attached Thumbnails
Govt all set to revise speed limits for all vehicles. EDIT: Done-dsc_0094.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2014, 15:13   #17
BHPian

re: Govt all set to revise speed limits for all vehicles. EDIT: Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
ET reports that the Indian government has decided to revise the maximum speed limits of each category of vehicles travelling on the Indian roads today.

Cars will be allowed to cruise at 100 kmph maximum, while for goods vehicles and motorcycles, the maximum speed limit will be 80 kmph. Also, a new category of vehicles called Quadricycles has been introduced with a maximum speed limit set at 70 kmph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
This seems to be applicable for highways. Apart from some signboards being updated over time, not sure if this update has any other tangible impact.
As MAG mentions - the limit increase would only be for highways or the so called expressways. These speed limit cannot be meant for city driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Seriously...

Even God won't be able to help us all. There's our India Shining, right there gentlemen. Applaud away...Never in a million years will our corrupt and pathetic govt be able to implement speed limits across roads, let alone personal vehicles. Anyone who even thinks otherwise is smoking some real exotic stuff.
Yes, corruptions exists. However, to a large extent because we pay there is corruption. For us - we should be making the best of what is available and hope for the best. I wouldn't be so distressed about the news report. All of us end up of comparing India with the West. But tend to forget they reached this stage after few hundred years of being independent. There are few countries which gained independence around the time we got ours - but then the fact remains we are a vibrant democracy and the others are not. Eventually - everything falls in place.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 15:44   #18
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post

I hear this a lot. But traffic disruption is no excuse for speeding or rash driving. Yes it's annoying when someone won't move over but one has to respect the rule of law and not take matters into their own hands. Executing a risky maneuver to bypass that traffic disruptor is not a solution; it is not an option.
I cannot agree more. ' The guy in front was driving too slowly' is often cited as an excuse for maneuvers that are outright dangerous. We often tend to forget that maximum speed limits are just that - maximum limits. Its not obligatory to drive at this limit. In some instances minimum speeds are indicated. I am by no means suggesting that driving very slowly on 'fast' highway is safe. But if I find it safe to be at 80 on a 100 kmph strech and I need to overtake a slow moving truck - I am well within my right to move the overtaking / fast lane ( after having checked my mirrors and indicating my intention to change lanes) at 80 kpmh. And in the 30 - 60 seconds that it might take me to overtake any vehicle trailing me would need to respect this time. But 9 out of 10 times all one gets is angry honking and dangerous tail-gating. And in most cases angry hand gestures or verbal abuse.
And on account of the difficulty in shifting from the slow lane to the overtaking lane and back - some (inexperinced / indifferent ) motorist stick to the overtaking lane even if their mirror check indicates that they are holding up traffic. Its a bit of a chicken egg situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post

Until it can be determined that an overwhelming majority of drivers in this country respect and care about driving rules (both laws and customs) and until it can be demonstrated that the existing laws are capable of being enforced effectively, raising speed limits will only make our roads bigger death traps.
I cannot imagine anyone (atleast on this forum) disputing this statement. Its hard to percieve why the concerned authorities seem oblivious to your statement. What we need is not revised speed limits or smoother tarmac, but an integrated approach to the issue of traffic management, driver training, licensing practises and enforcement of traffic laws.
Old 3rd August 2014, 15:47   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Slightly off topic but have they started issuing speed tickets finally on the YE? I had been told they only warn you at the toll booths to slow down and nothing else.
Obviously they have. It seems that up to 130 or so they warn you, and then ticket you. This is as per this chap!

It is true that tailgating can be a much bigger issue than speed. I remember in 1973 they reduced speed limits in the UK to 50mph (US went 55, or double nickel) and when data came out the anti-speed lobby was ecstatic. Then data from Germany came (no changed speed limits there) and the drop in accidents was even more dramatic, and finally this was attributed to reduced traffic.

Last edited by sgiitk : 3rd August 2014 at 15:51. Reason: Second paragraph added
Old 3rd August 2014, 18:32   #20
BHPian

I believe that raising the limits is logical & correct.

In most places in the world, speed limits on the highways are +90 km/h. Raising the speed limits does not necessarily translate into driving at higher speeds. Certain highways should have a limit of 110 or 120, e.g. Mumbai - Pune Expressway; Ahmedabad - Vadodara Expressway.

It would also be prudent to specify minimum speed limits, specially on highways.

Most of all, we all need to be educated and educate road sense & highway driving etiquette in India. (Will not get into why & how). Rest assured, our fuel imports can be significant brought down with proper road discipline.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 10:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

This is a good move. Speed limits have to be realistic at first and then strictly implemented.
I also wish that a locally built body on chassis bus is categorized in goods vehicles and limited to 80 too.
But buses with well designed company built bodies can be allowed 100 on expressways and some limited roads.
Old 4th August 2014, 10:57   #22
BHPian

I welcome this too, wholeheartedly
There are many of these steps the govt is making, which haven't been done for ages.
Also, there was news about the new government thinking of having cameras to enforce these laws.
Yes, today, its a far cry, but this might be true in the next 5 years.

Imagine, if we were told in 1995 that there would be roads in India that we could easily cruise at 120 without looking out for stray cattle. We would have all laughed the same way we are doing now.

But, yes we have this tendency, that we need a push to the corner before we even think of bouncing back
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 11:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
I also wish that a locally built body on chassis bus is categorized in goods vehicles and limited to 80 too.
But buses with well designed company built bodies can be allowed 100 on expressways and some limited roads.
Considering how rash and inconsiderate the Volvo buses are being driven by the drivers, I wouldn't agree with increasing their legal speed limits over and above what is already there. The behavior of these drivers are primarily due to the sheer arrogance that nothing will happen to them in case of even head on collisions with smaller vehicles. They are already creating havoc on the roads by exceeding speed limits. I'm not sure if it is a step in the right direction to legalize their arrogance.
Old 4th August 2014, 14:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Did we really have uniform across the country speed limits earlier?
Creating new speed limits isnt that great a job. Implementing it via speed cams, average speed camera systems etc is the key.
Old 4th August 2014, 15:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously...

Attachment 1269474

You can't even implement a standardised number plate system across the country.
You can't even implement a no-helmet-instant-fine rule across the country.
You implement bull crap restrictions like "no sun protection films" citing safety for women as the reason, and even then women are terrorised and harassed day in day out.

Corruption is rampant, law enforcement is a joke, arm twisting is second nature, bribe giving-taking is a part of life, people are barely able to make a life out of their incomes after drowning in taxes and rising costs due to inflation, women and children are not safe even inside their homes & schools, and all this govt thinks of implementing is some crazy a$$ speed limit on vehicles??

Even God won't be able to help us all. There's our India Shining, right there gentlemen. Applaud away...Never in a million years will our corrupt and pathetic govt be able to implement speed limits across roads, let alone personal vehicles. Anyone who even thinks otherwise is smoking some real exotic stuff.

What do all these points you have mentioned gotta do with the revised speed limit implementation?

With better roads comes higher speed limits - Its that simple!

P.S : If you need to blame the country and the system there are tons of other things you might want to add in there.

PPS : It ain't the bad thing you know, after all, your travel time reduces!!

Last edited by Mahven : 4th August 2014 at 15:08. Reason: Punctuations.
Old 4th August 2014, 15:22   #26
BHPian

While this is a very logical and sensible move, our expressways need few improvements as well. There should be fencing done on both sides to avoid the animals crossing, pedastrians should be completely shielded from the expressways to ensure mutual safety. Last but not the least the village crossings, bullock carts, speed bumps, and people driving on wrong directions should be stopped. Apart from the wrong lane driving, the above mentioned ones are big concerns for high speed drives across our express ways.
aravindr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 16:11   #27
BHPian

Its time to ban few category of vehicles from using NHs, and GQ for sure.

No Three wheelers and all 4 wheelers doing less than 60kmph should not be allowed to use 4/6 lane NHs. For locals Govt should build service roads.

If we can manage to do 90kmph as avg, then also our purpose will solve.
Old 4th August 2014, 16:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahven View Post
What do all these points you have mentioned gotta do with the revised speed limit implementation?

With better roads comes higher speed limits - Its that simple!

P.S : If you need to blame the country and the system there are tons of other things you might want to add in there.

PPS : It ain't the bad thing you know, after all, your travel time reduces!!
It's very simple mate .

As I'm sure you'll agree, one can't just go around waving their arms in the air saying that all cars will be restricted to 100kmph in India.

How are they going to implement it? Sign posts? Strong words? Rude Gestures? Sharp shooters armed with a speed gun & a Dragunov to shoot the heads off the erring driver? Retro-fitting all cars with a speed sensitive bomb that arms itself the moment the vehicle nears the speed limit? And blows up the moment the vehicle exceeds the limit?

I'm sure you read through this thread each month. You'll no doubt agree, that on an average, around 200,000 new cars alone hit the already overcrowded streets of India.

So is the Indian Govt claiming that they will restrict all these vehicles to 100 kmph? Along with so many millions of cars that are already plying on the streets? Not to mention all the two wheelers, buses, trucks, Quadricycles as well, to their respective speed limits?? I'd dearly like to know how this inept and corrupt govt plans to implement this massive task. It is simply not possible. They haven't even been able to get the ruddy sun-films off 20-30% of the cars till now, even after the honorable Supreme Court had passed that as a law. I'm not even going to re-iterate some of the points I made earlier regarding the number plates and stuff.

My argument is simple. Just stating that speed limits will be implemented for different vehicles is easy. Implementing it, is a whole new ballgame all together. Something that I believe, is totally out of reach of any Indian govt for many years to come. Nevertheless, I'd welcome speed limits any day. A sensible speed limit will help us all, enthusiast or not. It will reduce accidents, improve road safety, make travel much safer. But, it is not something the Indian Govt can implement, or the average Indian will adhere to.
Old 4th August 2014, 16:31   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
They should introduce categorization like sub-compacts, compacts, intermediates, full size etc. under the broad LMV category and put speed limits based on each category.
The limits should be based on the ability to handle that power.
God help traffic cops it this is implemented. They'll have to remember what car falls under what category and what is its speed limit for a certain stretch.
Old 4th August 2014, 16:38   #30
BANNED

Quote:
But, it is not something the Indian Govt can implement, or the average Indian will adhere to.
Being Pessimistic is easy.

I've often wondered why any such initiative is taken in such a negative way.

Wonder how one can reach where one needs to be without taking STEPS?

Being pessimistic has it's advantage. Reduces GUILT when one breaks the law. Everyone else is doing it, it can't be realistically implemented, blah, blah. So till then, why should I follow?

Baby steps. Before Galloping.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed