Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 19:03   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
re: Govt all set to revise speed limits for all vehicles. EDIT: Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
No Three wheelers and all 4 wheelers doing less than 60kmph should not be allowed to use 4/6 lane NHs. For locals Govt should build service roads.
This was the problem. What is the GQ - glorified dual carriageway. For toll roads globally, there is an equivalent non-toll road, flagged 'Bis' in France. These are very popular with crvanners in France, since tollsfor caravans are very high. In the UK Mx (mostly non toll) has a parallel Ax while may be a highway or Dual Carriageway. In our rush to get the network we forgot the local roads. I hope instead of six laning if a parallel service road (non toll) was built 80% of the traffic will be diverted, freeing the main highway for long distance traffic.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 19:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
.. instead of six laning if a parallel service road (non toll) was built 80% of the traffic will be diverted, freeing the main highway for long distance traffic.
The flip side - the 20% traffic that remains will then have to bear the full burden of the toll that would have otherwise been shared by the rest. May not be that bad a situation, had it not been for the continuous, quite arbitrary structure of tolls that we have
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 20:09   #33
BHPian

I would welcome this move wholeheartedly, however to complete the picture yes there few things which needs to be addressed.

1. There should be both max as min. speed limits for the vehicles on highways, you can't keep a tractor/beemer on the same track.

2. The max. speed should be allowed as per the category of the vehicle, 8 seater or more than 8 seater alone cannot justify the categories. 800cc van might not be safe on 100+ speeds, however a 2 litre car equipped with all modern day features (better brakes, more powerful engine, better aerodynamics, better stability, better handling, add ABS, ESP etc.) will feel at home even at 100kmph speed. So there should be classification of vehicles to start with cubic capacity of the car.

3. 2 Wheels market is picking up rapidly with almost all big international players jumping in the fray of more powerful bikes (read 600cc and above), you can't have general qualification for all 2 wheelers. While a 100cc commuter can be dangerous at 80kmph, a Hayabusa or ZX14R would be (or any litre class bike) would be destroyed at 50 kmph.

So, unless these as well as other points (mentioned by fellow BHPians) are kept in mind, these speed limits are useless,
Turbo Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 08:58   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
1. There should be both max as min. speed limits for the vehicles on highways, you can't keep a tractor/beemer on the same track. would be (or any litre class bike) would be destroyed at 50 kmph.
There was a big hullabaloo about tractors on the YE! As for the GQ etc. since there is no alternative road, the highway having been subsumed into the toll way, I will love to see this but how? Our so called sons-of-farmers will be tough to change!
Old 5th August 2014, 10:43   #35
BHPian

I question the practicality of having different speed limits for different classes of vehicles. To truly implement this you would need different lanes for each class of vehicle, but then nobody seems to be following lane discipline.

I would suggest the best way to go is to go the German way and have speed limits only in built up areas, crossings etc. Of course this would mean that expressway patroling has to be much better and jaywalkers, people driving tractors, motorbikes in opposite lanes etc. has to stop
Old 5th August 2014, 11:20   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
My argument is simple. Just stating that speed limits will be implemented for different vehicles is easy. Implementing it, is a whole new ballgame all together. Something that I believe, is totally out of reach of any Indian govt for many years to come. Nevertheless, I'd welcome speed limits any day. A sensible speed limit will help us all, enthusiast or not. It will reduce accidents, improve road safety, make travel much safer. But, it is not something the Indian Govt can implement, or the average Indian will adhere to.
I think you are becoming too negative my friend. First of all, I believe the speed limit of 100 will be implemented only on roads those are worthy of that. The Indian governments by nature has always been conservative and I am sure wherever they are going to establish a speed limit of 100, you would already be able to see cars blazing at 140.

Another thing is that laws are inevitable to drive a huge population, but it is not the laws only that should drive a country, it is awareness. Unless Indian drivers become aware and sensible enough to respect other drivers on the road, no law can make the roads safe. It is impossible for the law machinery to monitor everything, it is up to the citizen to display some amount of responsibility.
Old 5th August 2014, 11:38   #37
BHPian

We need lane based speed limits instead. I think that the idea of having a vehicle based limit is hopelessly flawed.
Have you all noticed this?
A tractor has a limit of 20, Car 60, Buses and HTV at 50.
How does this make sense? If I am driving a car, how can I go at 60 when the tractor in front of me is doing 20.
This asks for a lane change, which again is not how we need to plan our roads.

Instead, have limits set to 40,60 and 70 on 3 laned city roads, and increase respectively on highways.
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 12:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
We need lane based speed limits instead. I think that the idea of having a vehicle based limit is hopelessly flawed.
How does this make sense? If I am driving a car, how can I go at 60 when the tractor in front of me is doing 20.

Instead, have limits set to 40,60 and 70 on 3 laned city roads, and increase respectively on highways.
Good point. At least the overtaking lane should have a minimum speed limit to ensure slow movers who claim themselves to be "safe drivers" do not clog the fast lane by displaying their slow-driving-skills.
Old 5th August 2014, 12:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Good point. At least the overtaking lane should have a minimum speed limit to ensure slow movers who claim themselves to be "safe drivers" do not clog the fast lane by displaying their slow-driving-skills.
Agree totally: we had a similar idea in mind when I created this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...y-drivers.html

The right lane as overtaking lane loses its meaning if someone's crawling at 40 kph there.

Having said that, the nay sayers on this thread surprise me - there's not one person here who wouldn't have driven above 100 at some point in their driving life, in India.

The key is that the government needs to be judicious and raise speed limits only where the tarmac / road conditions justify it. Even within an expressway, there may be sections with higher / lower speed limit. As long as it is all done thoughtfully, there should not be an issue.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 12:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

Are they going to have minimum speed limits on freeways like Autobahns? Presently, APEs and ACEs overloaded with people and materials wander around on every highway limiting the speed of other vehicles anyway, besides causing numerous accidents!
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 14:39   #41
BHPian

Dear All,

It kind of Joke the Economist or the fact finding panel make on below poverty line definition.
Well, We have to be rational and one speed policy cannot hold good everywhere.
For example, Expressways can have more than 120 Km/h (may be 140) while others can have 80-100.

More Important is the implementation.
Do we have speed check & punishment in place ?
Do we have safety Check in Place ?

Half of the accident on YE & Ahmedabad-Baroda Expressway could have been avoided, if the stationary Vehicle (Mainly truck) had proper STOP RED Fluorescent stickers (Multi-lines) on their back.

Its Irony that TAIL LIGHT on Alto or EON is bigger & brighter than TAIL LIGHTs of trucks & buses in India even Volvo is no exception.

Common India lets gets the TAIL (Read BASIC) R(L)IGHT before we shout for ABS in Heavy Vehicles.

At Last, Lets improve upon the highway driving Etiquette.

RIGHT Lane does not mean its right for you to keep driving on it. Use left to the maximum on Expressways. (on 4 lane Roads, it may be unavoidable)
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 18:30   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The key is that the government needs to be judicious and raise speed limits only where the tarmac / road conditions justify it. Even within an expressway, there may be sections with higher / lower speed limit. As long as it is all done thoughtfully, there should not be an issue.
We just need saner road designs.

- 1 camera every 1 Km
- 2 or 3 lanes
- Proper Lane exits into Service road and entry (No 90 degree entry or exit from a ring road/ highway, How effective these are on the NICE roads in Bangalore, while the same not present are such a pain on the other ring roads)
- bus stops on a carved out lane (How on earth, you find 5-6 buses one behind the other at a bus stop, when they are 2 minute apart on the free stretch of road, this is because some buses stop for longer waiting for passengers, trying to pry a passenger from catching the next bus)
- Electronic tickets that debit money on a single swipe (You dont need a conductor that way)
- Fix a pothole or a stopped vehicle in the next 30 minutes. (Have crew and or towing vehicles every 2 Kms on a ring road stretch), and every 20 Km on a highway stretch

Don't we have money for all this?
I guess, the govt has it all. If my car returns 10Kmpl, and my office was 10Km away, I am paying 35Res as tax to travel the same stretch every single day. Should this money be spent on giving rice at 1Re/Kg?

But, got a little carried away , but all this or even some of this will happen in the next few years.

I remember these lines from a book I read in college
"Automobile or Telecommunication, whoever wins the race, will make the other obselete"
Old 5th August 2014, 18:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Speed limits definetly need a re-visit and also need enforcement.

Example the Road from Madhya kailash to Siruseri is called the "IT Expressway" but speed limit is only 40 kmph.

We need the police to enforce the speed limits and also give reasonable speed limits. Even on the ECR, it is 40 kmph right around Kovalam to the city. It should be a more realistic 60 kmph.

It is very difficult IMHO to implement the same. While i drive on the ECR/OMR at 40 kmph, I have seen volvos flashing lights and hinking continuosly even when i am overtaking a lorry from the right lane and would yield back to the left lane.
Old 5th August 2014, 19:00   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Speed limits definetly need a re-visit and also need enforcement.

Example the Road from Madhya kailash to Siruseri is called the "IT Expressway" but speed limit is only 40 kmph.
That road should be called "IT Blockadeway". It's a plain joke to call it an expressway.

Coming to the topic, I hope at least Tollways have lanes separated by speeds.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 19:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
That road should be called "IT Blockadeway". It's a plain joke to call it an expressway.

Coming to the topic, I hope at least Tollways have lanes separated by speeds.
There are tolled roads with speed in each lane. Example the NICE Road from Electronic city to Mysore Road. There are 3 lanes + shoulder indicating various speed limits ( i think 80-60-40) or something.

NICE is one of the costliest toll-road in india, but still there is no enforcement. The handful of times I have travelled, I have seen slow moving trucks in the 80kmph lane.

Most Viewed