Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2014, 19:32   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Govt all set to revise speed limits for all vehicles. EDIT: Done

~Scorpiobharath - Good to know about NICE Road but then like you said, enforcement is not there :(
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 19:59   #47
BHPian

I don't understand how the government distinguishes between different classes of motorcycles. How the heck does a 100cc and a 1000cc have the same limit? It just doesn't make sense to me. As long as the rider is all geared up and doesn't push his bike to the limit, it's fine. I am left scratching my head after all these silly and useless implementations.
Old 5th August 2014, 21:46   #48
BHPian

This sort of rule revision makes no sense to me. I have not seen anyone follow the rules, either city of on the highway. Instead of revising speed limits, the government should enforce the already implemented safety laws/rules.
Old 5th August 2014, 21:54   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
We need lane based speed limits instead. I think that the idea of having a vehicle based limit is hopelessly flawed.
Have you all noticed this?
A tractor has a limit of 20, Car 60, Buses and HTV at 50.
Just a few thoughts of how some of this isadressed in other parts of the world:

In many parts of Europe you will find that there are different maximum speed for different kind of traffic on motorways. Practically speaking there are just two kind of different "traffics. Busses and trucks being one, everything else being the other one. There is one minimum speed for everybody. And there are restriction on how can get on a motorway, (e.g. pedestrians, bicycles, mopeds etc). Some countries have increased the max speed for busses to be comparable with regular cars and its only trucks left.

The main concern is to have not to big a difference between speeds on the motorway. So for instance you might find that the minimum speed is 60 km/h for everybody, max speed for busses and trucks is 80 km/h and the max speed for everybody else is 100 km/h.

Busses and trucks are not allowed in the fast lane at all, when there are more then two lanes. In just about all of Europe you are obliged to move to the right all the time. So as soon as you have overtaken somebody that is slower then you, you move to the right (or left in the UK). You can get pretty heavy fines for sitting in the (fast) lane and having traffic backed up behind you and room on you right (or left in the UK). Everybody will hate you and give you the finger when they finally get pass you. And if there is a (unmarked) cop car they will pull you over and fine you.

Jeroen
Old 6th August 2014, 08:02   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
ET reports that the Indian government has decided to revise the maximum speed limits of each category of vehicles travelling on the Indian roads today.

Cars will be allowed to cruise at 100 kmph maximum, while for goods vehicles and motorcycles, the maximum speed limit will be 80 kmph. Also, a new category of vehicles called Quadricycles has been introduced with a maximum speed limit set at 70 kmph.
I think the Quadricycles that you mentioned here is Bajaj RE60? This will be a mess in our already choked roads. Why Government is trying not to fix the existing stuff but putting another one without understanding ground reality.

Lane discipline never enforced in cities. Right turn & left turn at many junctions are chaos at the best. Traffic discipline and enforcement is not same in all cities. Stark difference in road behaviours between Bangalore & Pune can be good example. I think Govt must concentrate on fixing basics first rather than fixing up speed limits which can never be monitored nor enforced in our poor highway patrol & support infrastructure.
Old 6th August 2014, 10:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
~Scorpiobharath - Good to know about NICE Road but then like you said, enforcement is not there :(
I have travelled a handful of times only. On all occassions, irrespective of the direction i was travelling, I have noticed scores of heavy overloaded trucks hogging the high-speed lane. I have also seen some highway patrols on the stretch, but they least bothered about it. Since we dont have a choice but to pay the exact toll they are asking, I think we are totally justifed in asking for an enforcement.

Also - 80-100kmph on the NICE road is actually less. It should be more than that. It is upto the vehicle owner to know how much his vehicle can be pushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
I don't understand how the government distinguishes between different classes of motorcycles. How the heck does a 100cc and a 1000cc have the same limit? It just doesn't make sense to me. As long as the rider is all geared up and doesn't push his bike to the limit, it's fine. I am left scratching my head after all these silly and useless implementations.
I think instead of classifying a vehicle cateogory with speed limits, they should have enforcement of maintaining speed limits. A harley bike at 80kmph is much more safer that a 100cc commuter bike at the same speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
This sort of rule revision makes no sense to me. I have not seen anyone follow the rules, either city of on the highway. Instead of revising speed limits, the government should enforce the already implemented safety laws/rules.
They should also bring in minimum speed limits. As i said above, they should leave it to the owner to judge how much the vehicle can be pushed and could be fined, if a slow vehicle is hogging the speed lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Just a few thoughts of how some of this isadressed in other parts of the world:

In many parts of Europe you will find that there are different maximum speed for different kind of traffic on motorways. Practically speaking there are just two kind of different "traffics. Busses and trucks being one, everything else being the other one. There is one minimum speed for everybody. And there are restriction on how can get on a motorway, (e.g. pedestrians, bicycles, mopeds etc). Some countries have increased the max speed for busses to be comparable with regular cars and its only trucks left.

The main concern is to have not to big a difference between speeds on the motorway. So for instance you might find that the minimum speed is 60 km/h for everybody, max speed for busses and trucks is 80 km/h and the max speed for everybody else is 100 km/h.

Busses and trucks are not allowed in the fast lane at all, when there are more then two lanes. In just about all of Europe you are obliged to move to the right all the time. So as soon as you have overtaken somebody that is slower then you, you move to the right (or left in the UK). You can get pretty heavy fines for sitting in the (fast) lane and having traffic backed up behind you and room on you right (or left in the UK). Everybody will hate you and give you the finger when they finally get pass you. And if there is a (unmarked) cop car they will pull you over and fine you.
Jeroen
I have seen people not move to the left lane at all. The slow buses and trucks hog the right lane and expect faster cars to overtake from left. Again, I have noticed highway patrols and policemen turning a blind eye on this.
Old 6th August 2014, 14:02   #52
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

It is true that trucks etc. hog the right lane on highways. I think there are only two ways to correct this, i. driver education - slow but needed nevertheless, and ii. heavy fines - will work pronto since the feedback /feedforward mechanism of truckwallah is phenomenal.

I have seen similar things on the YE. People stick/dawdle in the middle lane with the left lane empty. Now you have two options if you are in the left lane - overtake from the left (done by most) or switch lanes twice.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 14:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is true that trucks etc. hog the right lane on highways. I think there are only two ways to correct this, i. driver education - slow but needed nevertheless, and ii. heavy fines - will work pronto since the feedback /feedforward mechanism of truckwallah is phenomenal.

I have seen similar things on the YE. People stick/dawdle in the middle lane with the left lane empty. Now you have two options if you are in the left lane - overtake from the left (done by most) or switch lanes twice.
In Addition - they should also bring in "minimum" speed enforcement.

Technically - The speed limit is say 80kmph, the person is correct driving at 60 kmph on a 80kmph lane, he is well within the speed limits. This causes a bottleneck behind him and he is supposed to move to the left lane. He can argue in a court of law that he is doing less than the prescribed speed limit. To cover this probablity, there should be a speed limit of something like Minimum 70 - Maximum 80 on the right most lane.
Old 6th August 2014, 16:13   #54

Rather than this crap, government should first inculcate habit of 'Driving in Proper Lane' among the traffic by imposing on the spot fines.

70% of the time when you are riding or driving on a NH, you have to go zig-zag among the slow moving vehicles whose drivers have decided that they are destined to drive in the rightmost lane.

Believe me, when you are at 90Kmph and suddenly the right most and the middle lane is occupied by trucks or cars doing 50Kmph parallely, you get frustrated like anything, and more than that the amount of fuel you burn to regain the lost momentum.

90Kmph is just fine, just educate the crowd.
AkshayA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 15:24   #55
BHPian

The roads systems in a country speaks much about its development. No developed country will be having roads with potholes. Indian traffic systems, roads and transport system needs a massive changeover. The number of head on collisions that happens in Kerala might leave you people awestruck. There are no dividers on a national highway, for the national highway is a two lane road carrying traffic both the ways. Obviously overtaking happens and head on collisions happens. No proper sign boards, prohibitory signs, warning signs and speed limits mentioned.

How about improving the infrastructure, then improving traffic rules and regulations and then implementing this? I think that makes more sense. If the speed is going to be 100, I can see more accidents happening in Kerala. Speed cams won't last a single day and they will be dealt with by our mob.

We should all remember that knowing to drive a vehicle doesn't make anyone eligible to get a license, instead a person who can stay safe and abide by the rules should end up having one. That's what happens in developed countries and the same should happen in our country too.
Old 7th August 2014, 19:33   #56
BHPian

Slightly

These are the 'default' speed limits set by the Central Government (the pdf is not mine but available from the websites of a few RTOs). Most state governments have adopted these wholesale but a few like Delhi have slight variations. Notice the 'No speed limit' for non-transport motor cars

the_table_of_maximum_speed_limit_at_a_glance.pdf
Old 22nd August 2014, 07:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the revision has been pushed through,

Quote:
Now it's official. Cars can drive at a maximum speed of 100 kmph and motorcycles at 80 kmph. The road transport ministry has notified the revised speed limits. However, civic bodies and local and state police have the power to notify specific speed limits for municipal and local roads taking into account safety aspects.

It may sound strange, earlier there was no speed limit for cars at national level. Only the local police had set the norms.

Government officials said local authorities would fix the speed limit for vehicles within their areas as per the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act. "Obviously, a car or bike cannot be allowed at high speed in crowded or residential areas. So, local authorities including deputy commissioners, collectors and police will decide the speed limit for all categories of vehicles in every locality," a ministry official said.

The revision of speed limit comes after 25 years. TOI had first reported on August 2 that the road transport ministry has sought green signal from the law ministry to notify the fresh speed limits.

As per the notification, vehicles used for carrying nine or more passengers such as mini bus or buses can now ply at a maximum speed of 80 kmph while vehicles used for carrying not more than eight passengers like cars are allowed to run at the maximum speed of 100 kmph. The speed limit of goods vehicles has also been increased to 80 kmph.

After 25 years, government has revised the speed limit of vehicles on roads.
Earlier the cap on speed for cabs, buses and goods vehicles was 65 kmph while it was 50 kmph for motor cycles. For the newly created category of vehicle - Quadricycle - the speed limit has been fixed at 70 kmph.

"Though revising the speed limit was long overdue, we had suggested that the ministry should issue a guideline for local bodies and state governments that they should fix the limits after scientific study of local safety needs and the type of crashes that have happened," said Rohit Baluja, a road safety expert and member of the panel that was constituted in 2006-07 to look afresh into speed limits.
Source
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Now, cars can zoom at 100kmph, bikes at 80

Happened to read this at Times of India.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/40632804.cms

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Now it's official. Cars can drive at a maximum speed of 100 kmph and motorcycles at 80 kmph. The road transport ministry has notified the revised speed limits. However, civic bodies and local and state police have the power to notify specific speed limits for municipal and local roads taking into account safety aspects.
As per the notification, vehicles used for carrying nine or more passengers such as mini bus or buses can now ply at a maximum speed of 80 kmph while vehicles used for carrying not more than eight passengers like cars are allowed to run at the maximum speed of 100 kmph. The speed limit of goods vehicles has also been increased to 80 kmph.

After 25 years, government has revised the speed limit of vehicles on roads.
Earlier the cap on speed for cabs, buses and goods vehicles was 65 kmph while it was 50 kmph for motor cycles. For the newly created category of vehicle - Quadricycle - the speed limit has been fixed at 70 kmph.

I believe this largely applies to all those four lane highways where the current speed limit is 80KM/hr.
Given that the highways have been improved 100 KM/hr looks apt.
However I feel before bringing this Government should have made the safety features standard across all cars.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd August 2014 at 14:18. Reason: Do include a snippit of the article too, along with the source link. Makes your post more informative :)
PrideRed is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:24   #59
Senior - BHPian

Re: Now, cars can zoom at 100kmph, bikes at 80

Good practical job finally. Cars are already zooming at these 80+ speeds all the time (as can be evinced in every single triplog). now they need to come down hard on those smarties who drive at 120-140 or even more. There should be zero tolerance past a certain bit above the limit - like the famous cop saying in America
"Over five, you're fine. Over nine, you're mine!"

My 15 day visit to Australia made me a fan - many parts of the country there have 100 kph speed limits and everyone drives at that limit. Even if you are stuck behind a road hog doing 70 - you are supposed to be quiet and stick to your lane. That will initially irritate but overtime lead to a much more peaceful driving experience.
phamilyman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:42   #60
BHPian

Re: Now, cars can zoom at 100kmph, bikes at 80

Don't know how true but on Mumbai Pune expresway, when you reach other side toll booth, they can check your time of previous booth and that will give them the time you took to reach from source booth to destination booth and it will give them idea whether you were overspeeding or not.
No idea if this is implemented or not.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed