Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:45   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Now, cars can zoom at 100kmph, bikes at 80

It's sad that minimum speed limit on national highways is still not imposed. I think it doesn't occur to anyone that a tempo or a truck doing 20 kmph in the right lane of a highway will give little time to react for a driver doing 100 kmph.

I wish they set minimum speed limit as 50-60% of maximum speed limit for all roads.
rohanjf is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:55   #62
BHPian

I wonder sometimes, if the govt has a max speed limit of 100 kmph for cars then why dont they clamp down on manufacturers to disallow higher speeds?

Personally, I am not for such a clamp down, but nevertheless the idea certainly crossed my mind several times.
pratika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:59   #63
BHPian

Its a welcome step by the new govt. This was long overdue, given the technological advances in automobiles in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Don't know how true but on Mumbai Pune expresway, when you reach other side toll booth, they can check your time of previous booth and that will give them the time you took to reach from source booth to destination booth and it will give them idea whether you were overspeeding or not.
No idea if this is implemented or not.
By looking at the time stamp on the previous toll receipt.
Or maybe, they have license plate number recognition software installed in the cctv system, though this seems less likely.
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
It's sad that minimum speed limit on national highways is still not imposed. I think it doesn't occur to anyone that a tempo or a truck doing 20 kmph in the right lane of a highway will give little time to react for a driver doing 100 kmph.

I wish they set minimum speed limit as 50-60% of maximum speed limit for all roads.
I think the Pune-Mumbai Expressway does specify a minimum speed limit(Dont remember how much though). Following lane discipline would be more helpful here than enforcing minimum speed limit. Nearly 30-40% of the vehicles commuting in our highways are not even capable of hitting speed limits of 80KM/hr.
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:04   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know how true but on Mumbai Pune expresway, when you reach other side toll booth, they can check your time of previous booth and that will give them the time you took to reach from source booth to destination booth and it will give them idea whether you were overspeeding or not.
It's not been implemented as far as I know. Was on the Mumbai Pune expressway a few months ago, some hero was easily doing 140+ because he zoomed past me at 110 like I was in first gear.

And we both had no issues at the toll booth at the other end.

I think this is more of an urban myth that people have heard, or someone suggested that this MIGHT be a good way to find people who speed.

Unless someone else has experienced this and been brought up on speeding charges for this.
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I think the Pune-Mumbai Expressway does specify a minimum speed limit(Dont remember how much though). Following lane discipline would be more helpful here than enforcing minimum speed limit. Nearly 30-40% of the vehicles commuting in our highways are not even capable of hitting speed limits of 80KM/hr.
If all vehicles move at the same speed, which is the maximum speed limit, no one will ever need to change lanes. But as you say, many vehicles cannot hit even 80 kmph. For example, an empty Tata Ace with its 16 HP power cannot hit 80 kmph I guess. When they are (over)loaded, they can't even hit half that speed.

So many things are wrong with our highways that there will always be something left out from enforcement!
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:34   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
If all vehicles move at the same speed, which is the maximum speed limit, no one will ever need to change lanes. But as you say, many vehicles cannot hit even 80 kmph. For example, an empty Tata Ace with its 16 HP power cannot hit 80 kmph I guess. When they are (over)loaded, they can't even hit half that speed.

So many things are wrong with our highways that there will always be something left out from enforcement!
Absolutely! Auto rickshaws and those TVS 50cc mopeds should be banned from entering highways. Vehicles should be mandated to have a minimum cc/bhp/top speed to enter highways. Also, we need a minimum speed limit on the highways. We cannot afford to have vehicles running at 30-40-50 kmph on highways, thereby blocking traffic, creating unnecessary lane changes and increasing the chances of accidents. The slower running vehicles need to be penalized as well.

By the way, do our general public know how to change lanes? I have my doubts. A sizeable population don't.
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

re: Govt all set to revise speed limits for all vehicles. EDIT: Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Looks like the revision has been pushed through,

Source
This means some of the roads like the ORR in Hyderabad would have to be downgraded. 120 km/h is the current speed limit in ORR, which would have to be revised to 100 now!
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:26   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
By the way, do our general public know how to change lanes? I have my doubts. A sizeable population don't.
I'm surprised as a Bangalorean, you're asking if people know how to change lanes. Of course they do! They do it all the time!! Across 3-4 lanes even!!!

Oh wait, you're asking if people know how to change lanes correctly. Ah, that's a different topic altogether
arunphilip is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:51   #70
BHPian

I want to see enhanced speed limits for larger vehicles too on 4 lane highways, at least the ones carrying passengers (buses, vans etc.). This will speed up public transport and benefit even more people. We shouldn't give people one more excuse to shun public transport.
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:58   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
My 15 day visit to Australia made me a fan - many parts of the country there have 100 kph speed limits and everyone drives at that limit. Even if you are stuck behind a road hog doing 70 - you are supposed to be quiet and stick to your lane. That will initially irritate but overtime lead to a much more peaceful driving experience.
Wonder where you were driving. I drove a few years ago from Parramatta to Sydney and I was the only one driving at 100 kph. Each and every other vehicle was faster. Mind you, this is on the highway only. The speed limits were followed strictly in the urban areas. Even the fixed speed cameras on the highway were very visibly marked so that you actually slow down for certain sections opposed to stealthily collecting the fines.
Old 23rd August 2014, 01:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Wonder where you were driving. I drove a few years ago from Parramatta to Sydney and I was the only one driving at 100 kph. Each and every other vehicle was faster. Mind you, this is on the highway only. The speed limits were followed strictly in the urban areas. Even the fixed speed cameras on the highway were very visibly marked so that you actually slow down for certain sections opposed to stealthily collecting the fines.
I wasn't driving. I took bus tours around. I took four tours:
a. Sydney to Jenolan caves
and from Melbourne:
b. Great Ocean Road
c. Yarra Valley
d. Philip Island Penguin Parade
besides some local sightseeing across Cairns.

I reckon the total mileage would be easily 1500+ km across those tours. Of course, YMMV - each area has its own idiots or saints. e.g you cannot compare gurgaon's idiots with mumbai drivers.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 20:17   #73
Senior - BHPian

Re: Govt all set to revise speed limits for all vehicles. EDIT: Done

Well, coming from the old school of driving like most of you folks, I feel the revision of the speed limits even for the national highways is not actually needed considering the mindsets of the drivers on the road. As an individual, I feel this gives a free hand to drivers who in the first place did not adhere to the prescribed speed limits.

I am in late 20's but I don't mind emphasizing over the thoughts of older generation which actually believes that drivers should drive at a comfortable limit under which both passenger's and the driver's life is not at risk.

With the increase in driving speed I am sure even the drivers in the city shall be using this rule to get away with rash driving. Also, the car manufacturers should take note that needful improvements are to be carried out in their respective car models so that in case of a mishap at high speeds the passengers are saved or at least survive with injuries.

There is a saying in Hindi "Niyam laagu hone ke pehle uska torh aata hei" (Before a rule is implemented, an alternative to break that rule is devised).

I just hope that the drivers don't misuse this relaxation in driving speed in the wrong way.

As an old saying goes "Driver should control the car neither the car should control the driver"

Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 23:41   #74
BHPian

Re: Govt all set to revise speed limits for all vehicles. EDIT: Done

Increasing Speed Limit to 100?
First imagine the Quality of Drivers on Indian Highways and our habits of not following Traffic Rules. I think first we should make very strict rules; try and develop driving discipline among users and then think about such rules.

Its good Govt is trying so many new things and such measure to increase Speed limit is a good initiative but they need to take adequate measures for Road Safety.

Came across few incidences on Yamuna Expressway which raises concern if such rules are implemented without taking adequate safety measures, Bikes are allowed on this Expressway; imagine a bike coming in front of you from nowhere. This expressway claims to have cameras installed but allow its users to break rules. I have seen a lot of people crossing this expressway. Below a picture of a biker (3 riders).
Attached Thumbnails
Govt all set to revise speed limits for all vehicles. EDIT: Done-20140813_061104_v1.jpg  

Old 24th August 2014, 01:07   #75
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think this can be implemented.
What if you take a halt at the food court?I think many of them do.This should reduce the average speed drastically.

Most Viewed