Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2014, 09:27   #76
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Govt all set to revise speed limits for all vehicles. EDIT: Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay4060 View Post
This expressway claims to have cameras installed but allow its users to break rules. I have seen a lot of people crossing this expressway. Below a picture of a biker (3 riders).
Not only 3 riders but he may be on the shoulder (emergency only). I am not sure since the marking is not continuous, so may be near an exit.
Old 24th August 2014, 11:09   #77
BHPian

Sir; same day I have seen many people sitting near Highway Protection Rails (must be from nearby villages) waiting for lift Either from Truck walas or from some goods carrier Jeeps. Probably this guy has given a lift to a know person and might be travelling for a short distance. I didn’t see him taking the next exit.

Unfortunately I found two such drivers; 2nd one was with family (2 men; one lady). If you travel through this expressway during early morning hours you can even see a few people doing Morning Exercise including Jogging.

I am not against Speed; but before implementing such rules; a lot of safety measures need to be implemented first

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Not only 3 riders but he may be on the shoulder (emergency only). I am not sure since the marking is not continuous, so may be near an exit.
Old 24th August 2014, 11:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Don't know how true but on Mumbai Pune expresway, when you reach other side toll booth, they can check your time of previous booth and that will give them the time you took to reach from source booth to destination booth and it will give them idea whether you were overspeeding or not.
No idea if this is implemented or not.
This can be implemented in all the toll roads where you pay at the exit. Most of them already have the time printed in the receipts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7992 View Post
I don't think this can be implemented.
What if you take a halt at the food court?I think many of them do.This should reduce the average speed drastically.
Without a system in place, all of them are escaping the law. What is the harm in implementing a system that would catch at least some offenders if not all of them. Since this would not penalize any innocent drivers, I don't see any harm in having this system in addition to other systems that can be put in place.
Old 24th August 2014, 15:50   #79
BANNED

@ajay4060; The worst I saw were two cases - people merrily cycling in a contra direction on the hard shoulder, and a bunch of schoolkids (~18) cycling after school on the hard shoulder and I could spot a break in the fence near their school. If someone had a death wish what can you do. I have also heard of Bluebulls (Nilgai) jumping on to the YE from the sides.
Old 25th August 2014, 10:18   #80
Senior - BHPian

Recently, the Kaziranga Park authorities have started a time pass system for regulating speeds through the park in the evenings and at night. They issue you a receipt stating your present time and also mark the 'not before" time for the other end. If you reach before you can be fines. Though presently they make you wait till the stipulated time as a learning curve, which slowly would be replaced by a fine.
Old 25th August 2014, 12:50   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Recently, the Kaziranga Park authorities have started a time pass system for regulating speeds through the park in the evenings and at night. They issue you a receipt stating your present time and also mark the 'not before" time for the other end. If you reach before you can be fines. Though presently they make you wait till the stipulated time as a learning curve, which slowly would be replaced by a fine.
This could work well. Especially since most of the highways have Crazy number of toll gates. They just need to co-ordinate, so with information from the previous gate can be checked against the average time needed for trip. If someone does not produce the ticket, charge them the previous toll gate cost + Current.
Old 25th August 2014, 13:16   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post
If someone does not produce the ticket, charge them the previous toll gate cost + Current.
Wouldn't that mean everyone would need to pay an extra toll for the toll gate before his entry point? This can be implemented only if the toll booths are linked and the data is available without the driver having to produce previous toll receipts.
Old 25th August 2014, 13:37   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Wouldn't that mean everyone would need to pay an extra toll for the toll gate before his entry point? This can be implemented only if the toll booths are linked and the data is available without the driver having to produce previous toll receipts.
Whoops! You are absolutely right. They'd have to read the number plates. Would be easy in countries like US where they have standardised number plates. In India it would be very very hard (Owing to the amount of creative freedom we express on our number plates).
Old 25th August 2014, 14:38   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
This can be implemented in all the toll roads where you pay at the exit. Most of them already have the time printed in the receipts.
This is what the French were doing in the late 1980's. Of course we stayed overnight at a hotel on the Autoroute so our avge speed was pretty low. Sam will happen if you stop for a meal.
Old 25th August 2014, 19:29   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Well, coming from the old school of driving like most of you folks, I feel the revision of the speed limits even for the national highways is not actually needed considering the mindsets of the drivers on the road. As an individual, I feel this gives a free hand to drivers who in the first place did not adhere to the prescribed speed limits.

With the increase in driving speed I am sure even the drivers in the city shall be using this rule to get away with rash driving.
I agree completely -- even at the risk of inviting wrath from all those who have been arguing for higher maximum speed limits.

With present speed limits of 60/80, the overwhelming majority of drivers know next to nothing of road etiquette -- I fear what will happen when that limit becomes higher. It seems to be literally a license to drive rashly. I'm not commenting about enforcement at all.

It's more likely a case of some senior bureaucrat or minister traveling to Germany / Czechoslovakia and seeing the high speed limits there and deciding it's time India also 'advance'.

After all, it's the easiest 'reform' to implement -- no need to spend money on fixing (or creating) road infrastructure. No need to wait years for RTOs to be modernised and driving tests to be meaningful. No need to undertake thankless jobs such as making traffic police more efficient or rationalising road taxes.

Last edited by Kumar R : 25th August 2014 at 19:31.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 12:48   #86
BHPian

There apparently is a plan to increase highway speed limit to 120 kmph, per the Union Transport Minister:
Quote:
He also said limit on highways will be increased to 120 kmph from 80 km shortly.
www.financialexpress.com/india-news/world-class-bus-terminals-in-2000-ciaties-across-india-in-offing-know-what-narendra-modi-government-planning/786693/

Last edited by darklord : 31st July 2017 at 12:49.
Old 31st July 2017, 13:36   #87
BANNED

Makes sense, but how many of us take proper care of our cars, esp in terms of inflation and tyres. Not too many I think. So then the highways are potential death traps.
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:06   #88
BHPian

Got challaned for overspeeding today morning, doing 55kmph in a 50kmph zone!
Now for people familiar with Delhi, this was on the outer Ring road, which is completely Red-light/Signal free.

Is 50kmph really justified on such arterial roads? Most of the times this road is jam packed, but during morning hours the traffic is smooth.
I am not in favor of speeding or trying to promote it, but I feel @ 50kmph you are actually holding up traffic, would this not have a recursive effect?

Funny part is, on some flyovers they have reduced the speed limit to just 30kmph! Not surprisingly, the cops place speedguns just at the downward slope to catch their prey.
Is it even possible to drive a car at 30kmph on a 2 lane road, with moderate traffic around you?
On my daily commute, I see speed limit signs of 80, 50, 40 and 30 kmph spread randomly on stretches, should I keep focusing on these boards or concentrate on my driving? There should be 1 preset limit for the entire stretch, which is the same road anyway right?
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:54   #89
BHPian

I recently drove on the Mumbai Pune expressway. I saw boards stating that flexible height barriers are up ahead - they were not exactly in place at that point in time, but I see them coming very soon (not sure if they have been implemented already). This is not exactly related to the speed limits, but this would be a good move in freeing up the right most lane in the ghat sections for LMVs.

I hope these boards/warnings are effective, as I saw all of them in English. I am not sure if they were designed with the right audience (truckers) in mind.
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:32   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
I recently drove on the Mumbai Pune expressway. I saw boards stating that flexible height barriers are up ahead - they were not exactly in place at that point in time, but I see them coming very soon (not sure if they have been implemented already)
You may check this. These, AFAIK, are installed in the ghats majorly. However, it did not help much. They were broken soon by trucks.

Read this and this

Most Viewed