Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2014, 13:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

ASEAN NCAP Q3 2014 Crash Test Results (Honda City & Tata Vista)

Folks! The New Car Assessment Program for Southeast Asian Countries (ASEAN NCAP) has released the crash test reports of 4 cars from different manufacturers, finally ending the Q3 2014 set. The four cars that were checked are listed below:

1. 2015 Perodua Axia 100-E
2. 2014 Honda City SV
3. 2014 Honda Jazz SV
4. 2014 Tata Vista GZX 1.4-liter

Quote:
The India-made Tata Vista that is internationally exported to countries like Myanmar, Indonesia and Philippines was the only Indian-origin car to undergo the ASEAN NCAP. It scored 9.24 out of 16 in Adult Occupant Protection (AOP), securing 3 out of 5 stars and 3 out of 5 stars in COP (Child Occupant Protection) with a compliance rating of 53%. The GZX trim that was tested featured both driver and front passenger airbags.
ASEAN NCAP Q3 2014 Crash Test Results (Honda City & Tata Vista)-tatavistaaseanncap1024x452.jpg

Here is a You-tube video:

Link: https://www.facebook.com/IndianAutosBlog

Thanks

PS: Please Mods merge the thread if needed.
ad3952n is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 16:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: ASEAN NCAP Q3 2014 Crash Test Results (Honda City & Tata Vista)

Interesting to note that the new Honda City scored 15.8/16, which is now the highest points ever achieved in ASEAN NCAP!ASEAN NCAP Q3 2014 Crash Test Results (Honda City & Tata Vista)-cap-city.jpg

ASEAN NCAP Q3 2014 Crash Test Results (Honda City & Tata Vista)-cap-jazz.jpg

ASEAN NCAP Q3 2014 Crash Test Results (Honda City & Tata Vista)-cap-tata.jpg

Read the details at: http://www.aseancap.org/category/result/
sarathlal is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 16:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Interesting to note that the new Honda City scored 15.8/16, which is now the highest points ever achieved in ASEAN NCAP!

Read the details at: http://www.aseancap.org/category/result/
Thanks for the link. We can probably then dismiss the "thin sheet metal = unsafe cars" theory as shown by the results. The City loses 5 star status just because it does not have SBR (Seat Belt Reminders) as features. Structure wise, its as good as a 5 star rated car! Good show.

However, could not find anywhere in the report that 15.80 is the highest ever tally by any car in ASEAN NCAP. It would help readers immensely if you could provide the source of this information.

Thanks,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 29th August 2014 at 16:47.
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 16:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Here is a You-tube video:
Damn, the way the windshield shatters on the Indica after the passenger airbag opening may just hurt the occupant in real life with the broken glass.

Didn't see that happen on the Honda videos.
Maybe something Tata can look into to improve the design further.

Cheers
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 29th August 2014 at 16:44. Reason: Removing video
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 17:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Interesting to note that the new Honda City scored 15.8/16,
Certainly, Good to see that the 2014 Honda City and Jazz have improved upon safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
We can probably then dismiss the "thin sheet metal = unsafe cars" theory as shown by the results. The City loses 5 star status just because it does not have SBR (Seat Belt Reminders) as features.
Ya agreed to this to some extent though. Saket bhai, by Seat belt reminder, are you referring to the "beep" sound and the seat belt icon that appears in the dash? Asking you this because my elementary model City Ivtec of 2011 has this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Damn, the way the windshield shatters on the Indica after the passenger airbag opening may just hurt the occupant in real life with the broken glass.
Rohan bhai, Vista has got ample scope of improvement. Going by it's present ratings and even otherwise this car fares about average for passenger's safety. I agree that in reality, the scene would be really gruesome.

Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 17:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, could not find anywhere in the report that 15.80 is the highest ever tally by any car in ASEAN NCAP. It would help readers immensely if you could provide the source of this information.

Thanks,
Saket
Hi Saket, it is mentioned in the press release for the above results. This is the quote:
Quote:
In the Adult Occupant Protection (AOP), Honda City had broken the record high in ASEAN NCAP test by far with 15.80 point, which previously held by Ford Fiesta with 15.73.
You can read it here; http://www.aseancap.org/new-results-...ugust-release/
sarathlal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 17:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Ya agreed to this to some extent though. Saket bhai, by Seat belt reminder, are you referring to the "beep" sound and the seat belt icon that appears in the dash? Asking you this because my elementary model City Ivtec of 2011 has this feature.
The passenger seat belt reminder, which mostly is activated by a pressure switch under the passenger seat was not available in the tested variant of the city; but is probably available for some ASEAN models.

Also, Electronic Stability Control is not available in the Indian City (as far as I know). This feature is apparently present in some models for ASEAN countries as stated by the details of test report.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 18:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Read this report in the morning. Good to see City scoring high points in safety. Don't know if extra airbags might have helped in high points which is absent in Indian version.

City has a Seat belt reminder beep sound and a red icon in the console. The beep sound is actually a good feature as it keeps on going after every 30 seconds if you haven't fastened the seat belt resulting in you have to give up and fasten it.
I think the Thai one also has SBR for passenger seat.

Last edited by harry10 : 29th August 2014 at 18:33.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 19:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, Electronic Stability Control is not available in the Indian City (as far as I know). This feature is apparently present in some models for ASEAN countries as stated by the details of test report.
The Indian City does not have ESP.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 23:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Good to see City scoring high points in safety. Don't know if extra airbags might have helped in high points which is absent in Indian version.

Dear Harry the Honda City(4th Gen) scored 15.8 out of 16 in Adult Occupant Protection, securing 4 stars in AOP and 4 stars in COP.The above ratings were secured by the variants with 2 standard airbags, the 6-airbag top-end variant secured 5 stars in AOP and COP.

It’s interesting to note that that the Honda City broke the record for the highest points ever achieved in ASEAN NCAP, beating previous holder, the Ford Fiesta’s, score of 15.78 points.

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/08/a...da-city-143551

Last edited by Mevtec : 29th August 2014 at 23:59.
Mevtec is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 06:14   #11
BHPian

Re: ASEAN NCAP crash tests Tata Vista, 2014 Honda City

when I test drove the new city, it felt like it was made up of thin sheet of tin! seriously, the build quality looked that flimsy and I wasn't sure I'd be comfortable owning something like that but this video is reassuring. thought vento would have to be the safest in that segment but good to know that city is as good.
Old 31st August 2014, 08:23   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
The SV Variant of the City has been tested here. Assuming it is a Petrol version - I don't see any "safety" differences in Petrol v/s Diesel.

I'm happy that Honda is (still) taking safety seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
when I test drove the new city, it felt like it was made up of thin sheet of tin!
1. SV Variant (2 airbags) of the City tested in the 1.5L petrol trim has a kerb weight of 1102 kgs, whereas the version sold in India weighs 1065 kgs for the SV CVT variant, 1085 for the VX CVT variant which comes with a sunroof also (which they dont get but still their car is heavier!)

2. SV variant comes with Seat belt retractor, tensioner and load limiter for BOTH driver and passenger seats, VSA (Vehicle stability Assist), 8 airbags as optional, HSA (Hill Start Assist), ESS (Emergency Stop Signal). They even get 185 section tyres for the SV variant compared to our 175.

I doubt we get the same emphasis of safety in the Indian version of the City - Our car was bred for the 26 kmpl mileage figure!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 10:09   #13
BHPian

The City that was crash tested was manufactured outside India for markets that has serious laws in place.I won't be convinced until the Indian manufactured city undergoes a crash test and produces similar results.
Car Architect is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 12:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Architect View Post
The City that was crash tested was manufactured outside India for markets that has serious laws in place.I won't be convinced until the Indian manufactured city undergoes a crash test and produces similar results.

Same thought !. I am not very sure if the Indian made Honda city has all the structural features (not counting the no of airbags) of that model which was tested by the ASEAN NCAP ! - in the pdf downloadable (attached) report it mentions (manufacturing origin) countries like Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam,Philippines and Indonesia.

In no way discounting the results of the ASEAN NCAP or the cars tested.

I guess we must wait for the ARAI crash test facility to be operational and rely on tests conducted there with models manufactured in India, so that these results make sense for the buyer in India.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Honda-City-2014.pdf (1.12 MB, 912 views)
The Observer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 12:34   #15
BHPian

The passenger side glass break on the vista seems to be due to the airbag deploying. It clearly presses against the glass. I think this can be rectified by moving the placement of the airbag. Also looking at the results the vista scores lower due to the moderate impact on the chest area of driver. This probably could be due to large diameter steering wheel. The bottom part is actually at lower chest/ upper abdomen height.

Also the city outside india comes with an engine subframe and cross member ( which adds to the weight) obviously. Not sure if that is continued in India. The subframe and cross member are important in a frontal impact. This is AFAIK.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks