Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 15:12   #271
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP Asks For Withdrawal of Datsun Go From India

What about a recall of such vehicles already sold in India ?
Khandelwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 15:14   #272
BHPian

Unprecedented indeed, and one that may set the ball rolling for other brands as well. Lets look at the response of Nissan, Indian government, and as BoneCollector said, possibly the Supreme Court.
PVPal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 15:19   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

The first thought when I read the name Max Mosley was this - . Anyone who follows F1 since last 2 decades will know why.

Related with the letter to Nissan, I think it is a bit odd to get such a directive from GNCAP. Do they have that authority at all? Isn't their responsibility to only conduct the tests & provide the results? It is then upto the auto-makers, local transport offices AND us-customers to decide based on the numbers. No surprise if Nissan responds the same way to Mr. MM.

And if they want to start directing this way, what will be left in MSIL's inventory to sell? Only Swift/Ritz/Ertiga/GV/Ciaz Z variants?
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 15:20   #274
BHPian

Well, isn't this news. I guess it is all the more a shame since Mr Ghosn is the prez of EU equivalent of SIAM.

The main (or should I say moot) question is what are the other manufacturers in India whose vehicles have received 0 NCAP rating going to do? Datsun India, I am sure, will do the same and hide behind a 'collective approach' excuse.
Old 6th November 2014, 15:24   #275
BHPian

I hope Maruti and others are also shamed like this on an international platform. These companies build sub-standard cars for India and exact same cars sold internationally are better. That is some bias.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 15:32   #276
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift, Datsun Go fail Global NCAP tests too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Thailand made celerio crash tested by euro Ncap scored 3/5 score. it means the problem is with the thin metal sheets used by car makers to decrease their manufacturing costs as well inflate the fuel efficiency numbers.
Right, and looks like it stands true for most of the Cars manufactured for Indian market. Recently, Ford changed 300 parts in Indian version of Ecosport to satisfy European safety norms [Source]. It is clearly mentioned in the report that Ford incorporated a stronger body structure.

So, what should we conclude from this? Is Indian Ecosport not safe? Does anybody know if Indian Ecosport is ever tested by NCAP, and the score it got?
Old 6th November 2014, 15:34   #277
BHPian

Withdraw Datsun Go From India, Says Global Safety Watchdog to Nissan CEO

In a letter to the top executive of Nissan, the manufacturer of the car, Global NCAP says, "As presently engineered, the Datsun Go will certainly fail to pass the United Nation's frontal impact regulation. In these circumstances, I would urge Nissan to withdraw the Datsun Go from sale in India pending an urgent redesign of the car's body-shell."

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/wi...-lateststories
jessie007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 15:34   #278
Senior - BHPian

It is certainly a welcome news. While I like the car, I have made a promise to myself, not to buy a car if I am not buying a top of the line model with all the safety features. However, that doesnt mean, one should not get a car with no safety features.

Datsun, Go away!
amtak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 15:44   #279
Senior - BHPian

First question that comes to mind- What about the cars already sold by Datsun?

They average about 1000 cars a month!!
So do these "victims" get to chose the next cheapest car from the stable- Nissan Micra Active against the Go? ;-)

Welcome news and pretty hard hitting at the same time. Sort of unprecedented.

Wish the other major car makers take cues from this. Swift should take this as a warning sign!!
Old 6th November 2014, 15:55   #280
BHPian

I am getting a feeling that this is some kind of 'Safety Revolution' going on in India!
I am very happy where things are heading now!

I pity Datsun now with their new Go ad "O Babuji! Kya dekhte ho? Yehi hai nayi parampara!"

"nayi parampara" is indeed coming and Go is on it's way out.
Altos, Nanos, Swifts, Wagon Rs, Omnis (and others too) stand in line for the exit.

I also believe 'Satyamev Jayate' has had an effect in this revolution judging by the reaction of audience when they saw the videos of all those cars getting Zero stars! Wonder how the reaction would have been had they been shown Swift's crash test video!

Safe cars are coming!
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 15:55   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Reply from VP marketing of MUL:

Attachment 1305561

Well
What a terrible,terrrible reply from the VP of MUL? I think it would have been more comforting if MUL had acknowledged the problem in the first place and if they had indicated that they are trying to continuously improve. Now, if they just dismiss the problem then they could just dismiss any problem that I come during the usage of a MUL vehicle. As a customer I at least need acknowledgement of the problem even if they don't know how to tackle/solve the problem. Non acknowledgement really dents the confidence of the customer.

On a side note, didn't somebody during CWG say that the Indian hygiene standard is different from international hygiene standard. Looks like we have lot of such people in MUL.
Old 6th November 2014, 15:56   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Global NCAP Asks For Withdrawal of Datsun Go From India

I think the difference between the Go and the other vehicles lies in the total collapse of the Go in the test. The Alto and the Nano (admittedly visually) seemed to fare slightly better. The driver would be dead in all cars. But everybody else in the Go would likely be dead too. Clearly a car that only the ignorant would buy.
Hayek is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 16:10   #283
Senior - BHPian

Definitely a reassuring move, but this has to extend over to other manufacturers as well. Over 50% of the Swift's global sales came from India alone. Both the Swift and Go scored 0 on the NCAP 64 km/h test and i'm quite sure the Alto, Celerio and many more will be no different (Even an airbag will be a "fart in a hurricane" in the event of an accident.)

Airbags, ABS, EBD and all abbreviations aside, making these cars out of potato chips is what will get the buyers badly injured or worse.
Old 6th November 2014, 16:34   #284
BHPian

Well the first thought comes to mind is that why single out the Go when others also had similar ratings? Why not ask Suzuki to also stop selling unsafe cars?

Secondly, does NCAP has any rights in directing any automaker to halt production or sales in India ?

I would love a chain reaction on this leading to safer and reliable cars with better consumer protection policies in India
Old 6th November 2014, 16:39   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Related with the letter to Nissan, I think it is a bit odd to get such a directive from GNCAP. Do they have that authority at all?
It wasn't a directive but just a request. See the usage of the word "urge". They don't have the authority to direct.

BTW, if the same is made for the Swift, we can expect to see a nation-wide riot.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks