Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 08:43   #106
BHPian

I was reading the news on times of India (chennai) today and noticed that the crash test of swift and Datsun Go were mentioned on page 11 and I was thrilled to say the least.

Thrilled? One may ask why was I thrilled to see this on paper? Simple; it is because news is spreading from forum to online discussions to a news paper. Eventually more and more number of people will gain knowledge on the safety aspect and hope we start emphasising on safety before features.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Swift, Datsun Go fail Global NCAP tests too...-1415070388751.jpg  

Kratos453 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 09:19   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift, Datsun Go fail Global NCAP tests too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
I was reading the news on times of India (chennai) today and noticed that the crash test of swift and Datsun Go were mentioned on page 11 and I was thrilled to say the least.

Thrilled? One may ask why was I thrilled to see this on paper? Simple; it is because news is spreading from forum to online discussions to a news paper. Eventually more and more number of people will gain knowledge on the safety aspect and hope we start emphasising on safety before features.
Mahindra Datsun Go???

I guess Times of India is looking at a defamation lawsuit from Mahindra for this!
zenren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 09:40   #108
Senior - BHPian

The newspaper clearly mentions that the same companies export the same vehicles that meet regulations of Europe etc.

So its a major regulation issue and hopefully the government wakes up and comes up with new regulations and testing which will force manufacturers to give us safe vehicles. Maybe as an incentive, they should reduce the tax a wee bit to take care of extra costs for first few years

Let us raise a big issue of this and post the thread link everywhere!

Last edited by srishiva : 4th November 2014 at 09:42.
Old 4th November 2014, 09:52   #109
Team-BHP Support

There's only one way to beat the problem of "unsafe" cars.
Poor safety ratings, weak structure and lack of safety features should equate to very high insurance premium. At the same time, safer cars should attract very low insurance premiums. That way, one either pays for a safe car or insurance. This way safety features will start looking like value-for-money additions and attract more customers. Manufacturers will also have an incentive to build safer cars. Hope the Government takes steps in this direction.
Aditya is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 09:53   #110
D4D
BHPian

Thanks @zenren for shairng this.
Completely shocking. Though I'm not surprised.

Removing safety components for maximising FE is absolute rubbish. If you're so concerned about FE and not worried about safety, buy a 100cc bike. (no offence, BTW even I got a 100cc bike at home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I hope Maruti would start putting similar components back into their models.
Not going to happen in the near future. If we demand for airbags and ABS, maruti will provide it. But we aren't going to check whether these vital components are there in the hatch. So let's appeal to the government to implement Euro-ncap as fast as possible.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 09:59   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Poor safety ratings, weak structure and lack of safety features should equate to very high insurance premium. At the same time, safer cars should attract very low insurance premiums.
Govt should simply enhance safety regulations so that the customers get safe cars - Cars should have all basic safety features. There should be no other compromise on this. Govt can try subsidizing equivalent to the extra cost manufacturers incur.
Old 4th November 2014, 10:38   #112
BANNED

The level of vitriol being spewed against MS across all topics related to them is unbelievable. I guess Global NCAP and the EU finally succeeded. Safety is one aspect where every customer / enthusiast and similar breeds become touchy. Its understandable. But the shameless way in which the fear and ignorance will be exploited is equally applaudable and repulsive.
The government's hand has now been forced to enact some legislation, however pathetic it may be.
Old 4th November 2014, 10:51   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Funny how everyone seems to be suddenly so concerned about the crash worthiness of cars sold in India. Its so much easier to sit on a chair and type your heart away on the computer screen. And finally when the time comes for buying a car, even forum members here have continuously opted for a middle or base variant for want of budget or just not finding the top model VFM citing funny excuses sometimes like " the will be driven very less and only in the city limits" and what not. We all make so much noise and then still go and purchase the cheapest tyres available. So many of us overload our cars again citing reasons like the intended journey is only for a small distance. The list of excuses is endless. So please understand that it is in our DNA to compromise safety in the name of some money saved.

On a funnier note, I always chuckle seeing I20 owners happily driving there base and middle variants while displaying the 5 star safety rating sticker on the rear with immense pride.
drmohitg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 11:07   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Took some time to dig out this post by BHPian Sankar from a couple of months ago explaining at least one area where Maruti skipped the energy absorbing foam from the front bumper in the name of cost cutting.

This is clearly going to have an impact on the crash test results, since the lack of energy absorbing material would mean the Indian Swift is practically getting a much higher force into the engine bay and cabin owing to the lack of dampening materials. I hope Maruti would start putting similar components back into their models.

Slightly OT, would this be something that can be retro-fitted into an existing Swift?

Indian Swift:
Attachment 1305245
Just for comparison sake, please find below a picture of the same cross section of the FIAT Punto. It is to be noted that FIAT provides this level of basic impact absorption capability even in the base Active variant.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Swift, Datsun Go fail Global NCAP tests too...-imag1868.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 11:21   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Poor safety ratings, weak structure and lack of safety features should equate to very high insurance premium. At the same time, safer cars should attract very low insurance premiums. That way, one either pays for a safe car or insurance. This way safety features will start looking like value-for-money additions and attract more customers. Manufacturers will also have an incentive to build safer cars. Hope the Government takes steps in this direction.
Excellent point. And I remember reading somewhere that Volvo cars (e.g.; XC60) have lower insurance premium compared to its competitors in the segment (say BMW X3) due to its safety innovations. If this is made applicable to all segments, safety will get prominence while defining VFM.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 11:22   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Just for comparison sake, please find below a picture of the same cross section of the FIAT Punto. It is to be noted that FIAT provides this level of basic impact absorption capability even in the base Active variant.
I did not know that. Thanks! This is indeed eye opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carophilic View Post
The level of vitriol being spewed against MS across all topics related to them is unbelievable. I guess Global NCAP and the EU finally succeeded. Safety is one aspect where every customer / enthusiast and similar breeds become touchy. Its understandable. But the shameless way in which the fear and ignorance will be exploited is equally applaudable and repulsive.
The government's hand has now been forced to enact some legislation, however pathetic it may be.
It is like a pharma brand selling a diluted medicine which will not be as effective as others without telling the customer they did so and you see nothing wrong with it? Ford, Fiat and VW also operate in the same market, with the same cost pressures and yet they chose not to do it. I wonder what the board meetings at MS are like.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th November 2014 at 11:48. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 4th November 2014, 11:42   #117
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Ford, Fiat and VW also operate in the same market, with the same cost pressures and yet they chose not to do it.
Is it? Really? Read this: http://indianautosblog.com/2014/01/f...al-ncap-115165

"Figo, Alto 800, Nano, i10, Polo receive Zero-star in global NCAP tests"
Old 4th November 2014, 11:44   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Is it? Really? Read this: http://indianautosblog.com/2014/01/f...al-ncap-115165

"Figo, Alto 800, Nano, i10, Polo receive Zero-star in global NCAP tests"
I guess you need to start reading from post no. 1 to get an idea of what we are on about. Please let me know once you have a general idea of what the discussion is all about.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 12:00   #119
Senior - BHPian

I hope they would crash test the Indian FIAT Punto. At least I would know the worthiness of the hatch I am using for last 4.5 years. I wonder why they chose Datsun Go since its not a relevant car as of now as far Indian market is concerned. Should picked up a much popular car instead of Go.
Old 4th November 2014, 12:02   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
I am pretty sure this will have no effect on the sales of the Swift much like "Happy New Year" is already a hit. We celebrate mediocrity. Shame on you Maruti!

This is just not limited to Maruti. The Car Manufacturers as a whole think that the Indian people are a bunch of fools who are just concerned with the FE of a vehicle and nothing else and just when an awaken buyer demands for the basic safety features like ABS, EBD and Airbags, he is arm twisted in buying the Top most models of the vehicle and along with these basic safety features he is forced to pay for the cosmetic features like leather seats, ACC, alloy wheels, parking sensors, keyless start so on and so forth.

Don’t know when the Car Manufacturers will wake up to the plight of an average customer and will be able to understand his need for basic safety in a car.

I just hope that they do it soon.

Most Viewed