Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 22:00   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift, Datsun Go fail Global NCAP tests too...

What an immature and ill-informed comment from deccan chronicle which says safe drivers need not panic for this entire fiasco on GNCAP testing.
Quote:
Yes, Maruti Suzuki Swift and Datsun Go are the cars that received a zero star rating by the Global NCAP, a company which deals with car and road safety tests. Now don’t just panic. If you are a safe driver, the cars are wonderful indeed. It’s only that these cars are declared unsafe if you are caught in a head-on collision with another vehicle.
Here is the article,
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/14110...fe-cars-report
arun_josie is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 22:18   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
The NCAP ratings are for European countries or Latin Countries where there is such a law applicable. I am not a fully sure if we have a corresponding procedure in India. If yes, I am sure Maruti is passing those, else they will not be able to release the car in the country.

The problem isn't the player but the rules of the game. If you want the player to adhere to certain rules, frame them correctly. As of now, Maruti isn't doing anything illegal. They are here to do business and profitability is the name of the game.

If the proposed rule change about cars to mandatorily have ABS/Airbags comes into place and if Maruti doesn't follow it. Then we have an issue. Right now the issue is more to do with the Govt.'s lax standards than Maruti's different standards for different countries.
Brilliant!!! Now please pause a minute and ponder as to why these rules are lax. It's because Maruti and other players in India are lobbying the govt to keep it that way.

You ask if Maruti is doing anything illegal. Yes it is! It is removing structural supports from their cars sold in India knowing fully well that the occupant safety is being compromised.

As a Maruti customer, I have felt cheated, and there is no way I would buy a Maruti product until I am convinced that they will treat me with the same respect that they will treat their European consumers.
Lalvaz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 22:24   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Yes it is! It is removing structural supports from their cars sold in India knowing fully well that the occupant safety is being compromised.
Curious to know which are the 'structural supports' removed from the Indian swift apart from the radiator cross member in the diesel swift.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 22:25   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
What an immature and ill-informed comment from deccan chronicle which says safe drivers need not panic for this entire fiasco on GNCAP testing.
Quote:
... Now don’t just panic. If you are a safe driver, the cars are wonderful indeed. It’s only that these cars are declared unsafe if you are caught in a head-on collision with another vehicle.

Oh dear, safe drivers are safe, eh? One of the all-time-great saying's of Thad's Dad: remember that 50% of all accidents are caused by the other driver.

And, as for the head-on implication, let's see the side-on, etc, tests. I'd put money on them being far worse.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 22:34   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Curious to know which are the 'structural supports' removed from the Indian swift apart from the radiator cross member in the diesel swift.
That and the energy absorbing foam in the front bumper are what I do know about thanks to the discussions on this forum. I do not know what else has been changed, but the fact that the passenger cabin is structurally unstable in the Indian swift versus the European swift tells me that some changes have been made.
Old 9th November 2014, 23:08   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Wearing seat belts, together with a safe body shell, ABS and Airbags, however WILL reduce the risk of your being involved in a fatal accident, and also reduce the damage to passengers from a minor shunt.

The arguments that car manufacturers are making on why they can't provide safe products are ridiculous. Further, Maruti is particular, is also guilty of deceptive behaviour - by downgrading products in a manner which even a customer who is educated and does research could not tell. I have happily recommended a Swift ZXi to people before the G NCAP test results came out. I would never do that today. Making such tests mandatory is the minimum that the government needs to do - NOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
As far as I can see, the major point in this thread is not the stars scored or the unstable passenger compartment, but the indifferent attitude of Suzuki towards it's largest market in the world. India is the bread and butter market for Suzuki, they have all the technology available to make safe cars, which they actually do, using their Magyar plant for European models but still, make cost cutting measures and give Indians, an unstable passenger compartment. Nothing is stopping them to provide the same rigid structure which they provide in Europe.
Quote:
There are two things - Regulations & Ethics. Nobody is accusing Maruti of violating regulations, if there are any in place. It is more about ethics and the public comments from the management to the tune of "we don't really care for your safety" or "ask your government to make us give you safer cars" or "you deserve only this much". Being the market leader and India being the largest global market for Suzuki, it is not just acceptable.
Thanks - well said guyz! At the risk of repeating my earlier post - I looked at Euro NCAP rating when buying Swift ZXi. I knew there will be some differences but did not expect "unstable structure". I definitely feel cheated today. Maybe there are no rules today, but MSIL knows about the quantum of our road accidents and their attitude is unacceptable.

Quote:
What does it tell you about Volvo? They have always been in the forefront of safety innovations and they made a safer car, even when there was no regulation stipulating something like that. For them, people who survived in crashes is the biggest testimony for their cars (just look at some of the Volvo ads).
The Volvo rep on NDTV's show said that Volvo is aiming to achieve *zero* deaths for volvo car passengers by 2020! Now that is an awesome goal to have - even if they don;t achieve it, atleast the cars will be much safer and result closer to the goal.

It's unfortunate that they only have high-end cars in India (don't know what their starting range is in EU).

Basically, for the safety-conscious customer in India today (who cannot afford a BMW-segment car), choices are very limited! I don't know if there are any with > 2 Airbags for example. Let's see what Global NCAP tests say for Sold-In-India i20 and Ecosport.

The only silver lining in the cloud is the ministry secretary saying that India will soon have a test centre and test regulations could be in place from 2015-end!
akj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 10:35   #487
Senior - BHPian

Here comes an attack from VW, India's safest premium hatch back

source: TOI
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Swift, Datsun Go fail Global NCAP tests too...-polo.jpg  

Latheesh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 10:44   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

What attack? They have been doing this since long, even their demo cars have "Safest Hatchback in India" written on them.

I think we shuld get rid of the old habits of seeing Most "fuel efficient car" etc. Because saving a drop of blood is more precious than a drop of fuel. And the VW cars are no less fuel efficient than any Maruti if we go through the owner's feedback on the forum.
tbppjpr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 10:53   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

Need to see lot more of these kind of advertisements touting safety more than kmpl. Hopefully more consumers will change their thinking.
vivriti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 11:04   #490
Senior - BHPian

Housing in India is pretty expensive even in tier 3 cities construction prices are soaring due to cement and steel prices

But does that mean that our builders start selling thatched roof instead of RCC ? Anyway a lots of Indians in villages have been staying under thatched roof and few leaks during rainy season does not kill anyone unless there is a storm.

Sounds illogical but then why same argument of affordability from car manufacturers is being seconded by people on this board ?
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 11:26   #491
BHPian

Although it is appalling that some Maruti car owners here have chosen to support Maruti, and even question the integrity and neutrality of GNCAP, I seriously doubt that none among them would consider the Swift (or for that matter, any Maruti) as their next car.

I wouldn't be surprised if the mango men continue to buy Marutis in large numbers, but if Team BHPians continue to do so, I'd conclude that we as a community has failed in its purpose.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 11:52   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Although it is appalling that some Maruti car owners here have chosen to support Maruti, and even question the integrity and neutrality of GNCAP, I seriously doubt that none among them would consider the Swift (or for that matter, any Maruti) as their next car.

I wouldn't be surprised if the mango men continue to buy Marutis in large numbers, but if Team BHPians continue to do so, I'd conclude that we as a community has failed in its purpose.
That is a harsh statement to make. What option do I have if I am on a limited budget? Should I continue to travel on my bike and not buy alto 800 because I am a member of this forum? I pity people who, without understanding the plight of 'mango man', make such elitist statement.

Why can't a safe brand like VW or FIAT manufacture a safe people mover and challenge mango man's Maruti and give them safer option to commute?

I will buy Swift ZXi as my next car as an upgrade to Alto K10 and liked to be be branded as whatever anyone can think of.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 10th November 2014 at 11:53.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 12:10   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
What attack? They have been doing this since long, even their demo cars have "Safest Hatchback in India" written on them.

I think we shuld get rid of the old habits of seeing Most "fuel efficient car" etc. Because saving a drop of blood is more precious than a drop of fuel. And the VW cars are no less fuel efficient than any Maruti if we go through the owner's feedback on the forum.
Especially as "fuel efficiency" is touted as being so important by guys who then drive with heavy acceleration and heavy braking: the most fuel-inefficient way of driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
Need to see lot more of these kind of advertisements touting safety more than kmpl. Hopefully more consumers will change their thinking.
Yes, I think it will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Housing in India is pretty expensive even in tier 3 cities construction prices are soaring due to cement and steel prices

But does that mean that our builders start selling thatched roof instead of RCC ? Anyway a lots of Indians in villages have been staying under thatched roof and few leaks during rainy season does not kill anyone unless there is a storm.
Hmmm... they may not build multi-storey thatched huts, but, sadly, they do build multi-storey buildings where costs are cut to the point of structural danger, and collapses do happen, and they do kill people.

It all points to a deep disregard for safety, and, more importantly, the safety of others. Profit before people might as well be the motto.

but...
Quote:
Sounds illogical but then why same argument of affordability from car manufacturers is being seconded by people on this board ?
No idea. Puzzles me too. Do they care about safety of people?

People don't complain so much when the attack on the motor industry is about issues such as reliability and customer service. Why complain about attacks on lack of safety?

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 12:12   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

After reading so many posts here and reaction of everyone, I can only say that as of today, leave alone Maruti, I may not go in for any car that's either not certified by any agency or Government . We have a WagonR and with all the reports coming up, i'm also keen on a test report of WagonR top model. Besides this, I sincerely hope that we see tests done on Bolero/Scorpio/XUV5OO, Innova/Fortuner/Etios/Liva, Amaze/City/Mobilio, Eon/Santro/Grand i10/Xcent and ofcourse, all of Maruti's and all either manufactured in India for India or manufactured for India.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 12:16   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

I think its premature to brand people based on the brands/cars they choose with results of only two cars out yet. I don't know what is the logic behind choosing these two cars and Mr Mosley going out of way asking for a withdrawal of Go.
I think the international version of Swift has a 5 star rating. I will not be surprised to see other Japs (definitely).. even German cars scoring big Zero for their India specific models. There is some good news in terms of government setting up test facilities and working towards a policy.

Any customer would like to see the ratings of all cars in the segment to make a informed buying decision.
We should hold our horses until then!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks