Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2014, 09:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Good move by the government.

Will be interesting to see how these manufacturers will position and price the variants. May be like this. Base model with abs,airbags, no power windows,no music system,no rear wiper&defogger , no rear folding seats ,no alloy wheels etc. Following models gets these features added on depending on the price gap.
Old 5th November 2014, 09:40   #17
BHPian

That is great news! And I wonder why the news is not on the front page of every newspaper in the country.

Given that the Govt has given an option to not implement safety features for cars launched and in production before Oct 2015, I'm going to predict a slew of new launches without these features before that deadline. The SAs will make every attempt to persuade people to buy cars that are 'cheaper' and telling them that govt has hiked prices by making features that you'll probably never use mandatory.

I think the differentiators will be automatic climate control, more airbags, better ICE, Sun roof, heated seats, bigger alloys etc in the top end models. At least these are some of the differentiators in the US markets.
sswaroop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 10:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

re: Government wants to make Airbags & ABS standard on new cars

Good move by the government. Definitely increases accident survival rates. I think stability and traction control also should be mandated, along with pedestrian safety norms.

All this still doesn't reduce the main cause of road fatalities in India - two wheelers and heavy vehicles.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 10:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great news & long overdue. To me the improvement in structural rigidity to comply with 56 kmph crash is more value additive then ABS & Airbags since the car's sold today with ABS & Airbags still don't give me the structural rigidity to comply with Euro NCAP 56kmph crash test norms.

I am just wondering what are the crash test norms in SE Asian countries? Do they require the 56 Kmph compliance too? I am asking this because there are many car's that sell really well in countries like Thailand & Indonesia & are also selling well in India like the City, Fortuner & Innova. Is India going to catch up with these countries or we will be having stricter norms then SE Asia? Would Indian variants actually be better built then then the Thai counterparts? We all know cars like City & Innova can be better built.

Sad thing is if I buy a new car in the next 12 months then by 2017 they will be upgraded to better structural rigidity while mine will be the older variant :(.

While these norms are being implemented why can't the government think forward & once & for all mandate things like ESP as standard maybe from 2017? This will give ample time for manufacturer's to implement these new 'features' & also give them an indication of what the government is moving towards.

Lastly, when will government start thinking about safety in road design & construction? It is easy to mandate others to follow norms. When will they bell themselves?

Last edited by amit : 5th November 2014 at 10:33.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 10:41   #20
BHPian

This move by the Government should have come earlier. In our country, where a human life has very little value, these safety features that may cost an additional 30-35 k, may appear to be unnecessary for many, the same people may instead prefer to have electric seats with memory, massage function, window blinds etc.
It has been quite some time that Europe showed the way. No car can be sold in any country in the EU without airbags and ABS. Belated decision in India, still better late than never.
Old 5th November 2014, 11:04   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
It has been quite some time that Europe showed the way. No car can be sold in any country in the EU without airbags and ABS. Belated decision in India, still better late than never.

Infact yesterday I believe ESP has been made mandatory on all cars sold in Europe. But there are other countries that seem to be grappling with the teething issues like the aam aadmi on indian roads

http://topcar.co.za/news/news-articl...l-new-eu-cars/

Notwithstanding, safety measures are always welcome and any Government intervention in the same is heartening to see. However I have some observations or points to make;

1. I think this 'regulation' is part of the Bharat NCAP, that will get commissioned early next year. This is not a separate Government mandate and probably the reason why only Hindustan Times is carrying this news and no one else.

2. This is also a reason why we don't seem to have a copy of any order regarding mandating ABS and airbags right now.

3. I expect our greedy manufacturers to increase the price right before or after the budget next year; and again after October. I have very little faith on their philanthropist side.

4. A special thanks to the SIAM Director General Vishnu Mathur. Had it not been for his incessant rant, we will not be blessed with such a wonderful day. Surprising that no one told him about this before...
Old 5th November 2014, 11:11   #22
BHPian

Very good move by Government. I also saw this news article which says "Frontal crash test must from October 2015" http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/45042711.cms
Old 5th November 2014, 11:15   #23
BHPian

Just a thought , what happens to cars like Bolero and Thar will they get out of the market or will come with abs aand airbags ? What about the crash safety norms then with these cars ?
Old 5th November 2014, 11:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Sad thing is if I buy a new car in the next 12 months then by 2017 they will be upgraded to better structural rigidity while mine will be the older variant :(.
Any new model that is launched post October 2015 should be meeting this criteria. So my guess is that most manufacturers might try to comply to this norms before the launch itself to prevent double work within a few months of launch to make it stronger.

If someone is planning to buy a car after October 2015, I would suggest going for cars that meet the criteria. Once India-NCAP is launched probably my mid-next year, I'm sure that makers like Fiat, Ford and VW would immediately send their cars for testing and get it certified, since they don't seem to be requiring any structural modifications other than just making airbags and ABS. That would give them a very strong marketing oppurtunity to score over the likes of Maruti and Hyundai.

Even the resale value of non-compliant 2015 and 2016 cars would take a hit by 2019 or so once better cars are also available at similar prices in the used car market.
Old 5th November 2014, 11:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Another positive outcome from this is that, there will be a frenzy on part of the manufacturers to have as many new models launched as they can before October '15 (So that they get into the 2 year lee-way period to comply). So till October '15 it promises to be an exciting race for all.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 14:20   #26
BANNED

Government will give manufacturers two years to quip all cars sold before 2015 with these features, i.e till 2017.

The question is they have not mentioned cars till which year in the past would need to be fitted with these features it does not sound too practical to me.
Old 5th November 2014, 14:24   #27
RYP
BHPian

Report - Frontal Crash Tests to become mandatory by October 2015-
http://indianautosblog.com/2014/11/f...n-india-155770
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/45041350.cms
  • Facilities will be setup by March 2015
  • Manufacturers will have six months to comply cars with the test
  • Cars would be crash tested at 56 km/h
  • This should not be confused with BNVSAP. This will not earn the cars any star ratings,would be more of a regulation to ensure minimum safety
  • Independent authority will be setup to implement this
  • New vehicle models, which are selling the most in the market (irony ) will be put to test

Last edited by RYP : 5th November 2014 at 14:31.
RYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 14:38   #28
BHPian

Finally good sense prevails, this was needed to get the big manufacturing firms inline. Hopefully we'll see safer new models from mid 2015 itself as it wouldn't make business sense to alter the assembly line again after an year.
I am more than happy to pay the extra 30000 knowing that I will be in a much safer car and the other cars around me also have ABS which makes driving as a whole a lot safer.
Old 5th November 2014, 14:48   #29
BHPian

Finally some sense from the authorities. I hope the deadlines are strictly adhered to.

I expect manufacturers like Ford, VW & Fiat to probably get some advantage as the work they need to put in would be far lower. Also that the improved version of the cars should be in the market much before Oct'15.
Let's all hope, the govt. sticks to the deadline and there is no extension as is usually the case.
Old 5th November 2014, 14:53   #30
BHPian

Thats an awesome news!! Now they cant force me to pay for climate control and bluetooth audio, when all I need is ABS and airbags.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks