Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 15:04   #1
BHPian

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered

After the "Safety Poll" thread, the next logical step was to look at the safety features of all popular Indian cars in one place. This is not only more convenient, but also allows easy comparison.
  • I have considered all makes and models included in the September 2014 sales analysis, except HM-Mitsubishi.
  • The list is in alphabetical order, to avoid any accusations of bias.
  • All information is collected from the respective websites of the manufacturers.
  • While all attempts have been made to ensure accuracy, some copy + paste errors might have crept in. Please do bring any such errors to my notice.
  • Front airbags + ABS are the minimum requirements for a "PASS" verdict.
I have made some observations and comments on each manufacturer. Please feel free to add your own. Thanks.

PS: For ready reference, I have attached the master spreadsheet to this post. Hope it is useful for prospective buyers.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Safety_Features_In_Indian_Cars.xlsx (26.6 KB, 1756 views)

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 7th November 2014 at 14:02.
TheLizardKing is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 12:30   #2
BHPian

Chevrolet

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-chevrolet.jpg
  • Only the LT(O) version of the Beat passes the safety test.
  • The Captiva is the safest Chevrolet on Indian roads. It gets all the bells and whistles as far as safety features are concerned.
  • Considering that it is one of the most powerful cars in its segment, advanced safety features are missing from all variants of the Cruze.
  • Spark and Tavera do not have any safety features across variants. I'd stay away from them.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 7th November 2014 at 13:55.
TheLizardKing is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 12:32   #3
BHPian

Datsun

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-datsun.jpg

Everyone is talking about it, so I am just going to let Datsun, um, go.
TheLizardKing is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 12:36   #4
BHPian

Fiat

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-fiat_corrected.jpg
  • No petrol variant of the Avventura passes the safety test. You have to buy the highest diesel variant to feel safe.
  • The Linea Classic should be in a museum, not on the roads.
  • Things are better with the New Linea, with the top two variants passing the test.
  • Considering it is the entry level Fiat car, I would have wanted more safety features in the Punto.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th November 2014 at 14:43. Reason: As requested
TheLizardKing is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 12:39   #5
BHPian

Ford

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-ford.jpg

Ford's safety mantra seems to be "Buy the top variant if you want safety." The Endeavour and Fiesta are the only exceptions.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 7th November 2014 at 13:56.
TheLizardKing is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 12:44   #6
BHPian

Honda

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-honda.jpg
  • The Amaze, Brio, and Mobilio, all offer the minimum safety kit in their top two variants.
  • I fail to see why diesel variants need ABS more than their petrol siblings. Especially when you are not providing airbags anyway.
  • Niggles in the new City aside, its top three variants pass.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 7th November 2014 at 13:56.
TheLizardKing is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 12:49   #7
BHPian

Hyundai

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-hyundai.jpg
  • The Eon, i10, and Santro, all fail miserably when it comes to safety kit. It is customers of these cars who will benefit the most when the promised regulations come into force.
  • The Grand i10, Elite i20 and Xcent, the three hottest selling Hyundai models, offer the minimum safety kit (and nothing more) only in the topmost variant. Shame!
  • Even when it comes to its most premium models (the Elantra and Santa Fe), Hyundai skimps on side/curtain airbags in the lower variants.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 7th November 2014 at 13:57.
Old 7th November 2014, 12:59   #8
BHPian

Mahindra

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-mahindra.jpg

Someone wanted to give Mahindra a pat on the back the other day. He will change his mind after seeing the above table.
  • The Bolero, Thar, Verito, and Verito Vibe, all offer only hope and a prayer when it comes to safety kit.
  • When Pawan Goenka spoke about offering safety options on the S6 variant of the Scorpio, I was quite happy about the news. Till I realized that the S6+ variant STILL does not pass my test.
  • Almost as if to compensate, Mahindra has gone the whole nine yards when it comes to the XUV500, where the W8 variant is loaded to the gills with safety kit.
Old 7th November 2014, 13:09   #9
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-maruti-suzuki.jpg

One look at the above table, and you will agree that MS deserves every brickbat thrown at it on this forum recently.
  • The Alto 800, Alto K10, EECO, Gypsy, Omni, and WagonR, ALL fail the safety test with flying colours. I would like to know what percentage these models make up of MS's total revenues.
  • Even when it comes to the other models, only the top variants pass (except for the Ciaz). And don't talk about side/curtain airbags, ESP, etc. unless you want to make me laugh. Maruti's definition of safety stops at ABS, and EBD in some cases.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 7th November 2014 at 13:58.
TheLizardKing is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 13:18   #10
BHPian

Nissan

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-nissan.jpg
  • The design of the Evalia may make you cringe, but it does score well when it comes to safety features.
  • Nissan is the only manufacturer who has used the word "safety" in its variant names. Do we conclude that the other variants are not safe then? Yes indeed!

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 7th November 2014 at 13:58.
Old 7th November 2014, 13:24   #11
BHPian

Renault

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-renault_corrected.jpg
  • When it comes to the diesel variants of the Duster, Renault quite clearly thinks that you need safety only if you have 110PS under the hood.
  • Even when it comes to models like the Fluence and Koleos, Renault cannot resist the temptation to save a few bucks on the lower variants. Quite shameful.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th November 2014 at 12:22. Reason: As requested
TheLizardKing is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 13:27   #12
BHPian

Skoda

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-skoda.jpg

While someone was saying that there is no point in having a safe car if it is not reliable (and I am pretty sure he was thinking about our forum's favorite whipping boy), the above table does make a case for Skoda. I just wish they would get their A.S.S. in shape asap...
TheLizardKing is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 13:32   #13
BHPian

Tata

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-tata.jpg

You can say Tata to safety if you are riding in any variant of the Indica, Vista, Indigo, Nano, Safari, Sumo, (phew that is a long list), or Venture. So the "other" Indian car manufacturer is no better when it comes to safety.

One look at the above table and you are forced to laugh at Ratan Tata's lofty goal of making Indian roads safer.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 7th November 2014 at 13:59.
TheLizardKing is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 13:47   #14
BHPian

Toyota

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-toyota.jpg
  • While all variants of the Camry and Corolla pass (expectedly), it is disheartening to see that even at the Camry's price point, Toyota skimps on side/curtain airbags on the petrol version.
  • After spending 20+ big ones, the amount of safety kit you get in a Fortuner is disgraceful. I guess Toyota is counting on its road presence. One of the scariest sights when you are driving in India is a Fortuner in your IRVM, growing bigger and bigger quicker and quicker...
  • Prediction: A lot of yellow-plate Innovas are going to get a whole lot safer starting some time in 2017.
  • Finally, say hello to the Liva diesel, the only entry level car on Indian roads (for Toyota of course) whose lowest variant also passes the test. But you are still an ugly car.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 7th November 2014 at 14:01.
Old 7th November 2014, 13:52   #15
BHPian

Volkswagen

List: Indian Cars & Safety Features offered-volkswagen.jpg

Bringing up the rear is Das Auto, which has been appreciated as the only manufacturer to take immediate action following the results of the earlier round of NCAP crash tests. Some of course scoff that the crash tests were sponsored by VW in the first place. Conclusion: you can't convince all of the people all of the time.

Having said that, VW needs to do more. I would like to see advanced features like ESP move down from the GT TSI to the New Polo. After all, no one is buying the GT TSI for its safety kit, are they?

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 7th November 2014 at 14:00.
TheLizardKing is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed