Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2014, 10:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Would ABS or Airbags have helped? Data from Hundreds of Indian accidents analysed

The have not considered a fact or they might not have got the details, most of the accidents after 7 pm almost all are of drunken driving.
jasmeetsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:23   #32
BHPian

Re: Would ABS or Airbags have helped? Data from Hundreds of Indian accidents analysed

Things have changed in New Delhi now. Atleast at Indraprastha RTO and Janakpuri RTO as I witnessed myself. Sure other RTOs also would have changed for better. No more "touts-only" policy at RTOs though you can spot couple of them here and there.
srameshdelhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 11:16   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

And today, this Team-Bhp article on the Study gets into the FB page of Bangalore Traffic Police:

Would ABS or Airbags have helped? Data from Hundreds of Indian accidents analysed...-screenshot_20141204110807.png

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th December 2014 at 11:20.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 12:22   #34
BHPian

Well I would support Bosch for their study even if they are doing it for their own business motive. I strongly believe that ABS and airbags should be standard fitment in all cars. They are not a guaranteed protector in case of an accident but a definite preventive tool.

What I also believe is that all cars should be equipped with better headlights as it is the primary requirement of a safe night driving. In some cars irrespective of how cheap or expensive they are, their headlights are of no use most of the time and as a result people have grown the habit of driving with high beam. We presume that the visibility gets better using the high beam which is not always the case and causes more night time accidents by blinding the oncoming traffic. I don't know why nobody has raised any voice on this issue so far.

Last edited by Carpainter : 4th December 2014 at 12:23.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 15:02   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastayan View Post
Passengers in cars with seat belts often do not wear them, and are regularly pulled up by the police. The irony is that such fines are almost always imposed on crowded city roads where seat belts can be quite redundant. I mean how likely are you to suffer a grievous injury when you are driving at 40 kmph!
A crash at 40kmph is quite serious and can lead to serious injuries without a seatbelt. Even a 20 kmph crash is serious without a seatbelt.

Take a look at the video below showing crash test without seatbelts at approx. 46 Kmph:

Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 15:11   #36

Thank you for the telling video, Lobogris. Obviously, I was being daft in making that statement. However, I make it a point to strap on my seat belt every time I enter a vehicle. And that's what I ensure my family does as well. My post was more to highlight the fact that seat belt usage is not monitored in open highways in India.
swastayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 20:02   #37

Re: Would ABS or Airbags have helped? Data from Hundreds of Indian accidents analysed...

Its good that Bosch has taken up such a study. In developed countries govt or govt sponsored agencies do this kind of work. Apart from regulations and their implementation, customer education through mass media is most effective.

I worked for a Seat belt and Airbags manufacturing company for over 16 years, and was involved in developing such systems through doing car crashes, simulations etc. when in India I see people, not only not wearing seat belts, but also carrying a small baby on lap and sitting right in the front passenger seat - I get horrified by thinking what might happen if that car met with even a minor accident - the baby would completely get crushed due to the impact from the adult carrying the baby - ironically the adult would have less injuries because of the baby getting crushed. How will people realise such things without a public education campaign.

The seat belt is the primary restraint which does almost 70% of the protection in an accident. The airbag is a secondary, or supplimentary protection - that's why you see the word SRS before the airbag, in many cars. So if people just wore seat belts - that itself will make a huge difference to safety. To enable this, just public education is needed most right now, because in many cities there are already regulations for wearing seat belts. But people have many misconceptions - that seat belts are needed only when going on a highway and not really needed in the city. Ofcourse in a city, if the speed is slow, you may not die, but there could be enough injuries to put you out of circulation for many many months. Lot of people don't realise that the maximum speed at which any car is crash tested for safety evaluation, anywhere in the world is 64 kmph. Think, how often we exceed this speed in the city.

Not wearing seat belts is the stupidest thing anyone can do. You gain nothing by not wearing seat belt, but you may loose everything by not wearing it - and still you don't want to wear it. I get absolutely frustrated when I see that - knowing what might happen.

If someone has any thoughts and wherewithal to promote a seat belt wearing public awareness program, I am 100% willing to provide whatever support I can.

Praveen
Navileind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 00:26   #38
BANNED

Re: Would ABS or Airbags have helped? Data from Hundreds of Indian accidents analysed...

This might be a good thread to post my following observation and question about the right place to install a child seat in made in India hatchbacks. Mods, if there is a more appropriate thread on this topic, please move it there. Apologies in advance if you have to move it!

Having driven in the US for a few years, I totally get the fact that the rear seat is the right location to secure a child seat. However, after having driven the Maruti 800, the Santro, and the Eon in India, I feel the rear seat is more vulnerable from a rear ending crash, that the front passenger seat. In the made in India hatchbacks, my sense is that it is the front passenger seat that has impact absorbing buffer both in the front as well as behind the seat.

What do others think?
Old 7th December 2014, 07:03   #39
Team-BHP Support

I just know one thing, until and unless Driving License issuing authorities across India won't pull their socks up, I see no change in it.

Secondly, we as enthusiasts (individual) and Team-BHP (collective) being one of the biggest automotive forum, some onus lies on us. I know you are raising eye-brows for a ?? but as to how we present ourselves on road should be a major contributor.

Third being people, realizing the importance of seat-belts, avoiding retread tires, not compromising on vehicle's maintenance should also contribute

And last (& most important) drivers not taking things for granted on the road. Driving defensively with regard for others as well as them selves & their passengers, vehicles.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 09:08   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM97 View Post
Improving Road safety in India is like addressing a complete eco-system. The 3 E's that need immediate overhaul is Education, Engineering & Enforcement. 3-point Seatbelts are probably the single-most effective safety innovation prior to the current active safety features (adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot detection, brake assist, pre-safe etc.) that are slowly creeping into high end cars. Belt usage in US, Europe and Australia is well over 95%, We have to educate our drivers about proper belt usage and the police have to enforce belt usage so that we slowly also creep up to above 90% belt usage. Systematically we have to introduce crash test conditions so that the automotive structures also improve over time for the structure and restraints to work effectively together.
. Although I find this study and the discussion fascinating, I think that the 3E's is what we are lacking more than the "features". The features are definitely a plus and are only going to help. Whatever the motivation is for a study, at the end of the day, it does help.

Also, what is interesting to note from such studies is that most "accidents" are head-on. Now, pause and think about that... Why would two vehicles run into each other head on - either driving towards themselves or away. The only way that would happen is if a driver is not educated enough to maintain a safe braking distance (3 second rule) OR because someone was driving the wrong way on a highway. And that is where the enforcement and engineering come in as well to not let such drivers get away with it.
m.catch.22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 13:25   #41
BHPian

I was surprised to find that ABS can sometimes cause rollover accidents in unfavorable road conditions.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...er-risk-by-51/
Old 7th December 2014, 15:14   #42
Team-BHP Support

I read it & the article does not mention the reason/occurence. As said, a calm, composed person behind a steering wheel will ensure the safest driving.
Old 8th December 2014, 20:12   #43
BHPian

I personally have a belief that ABS should be made mandatory for all vehicles in India.
For a change we should be a nation of firsts and we should implement this law. I support the Air bags as well, but even the most premium vehicles come with two, and rarely four air bags.
Plus Air bags are usually helpful when you are driving in high speed roads. In India, most of the highways are pretty moderate speed ones, and most of the accidents occur because something popping in your way.
I personally feel that getting ABS on each vehicle sold in India will really be something that this country needs
Old 9th December 2014, 16:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu789 View Post
We have been discussing this for quite some time and still we see many people opt for variants without these safety features. I see this trend wont change until government makes it mandatory.
I agree! A friend of mine just acquired a new car which has "zero" airbags in its mid segment variant, yet people are booking it for the AT.
Different fact that even cars with 6 airbags and most of the safety features, have turned turtle.
Its become bit of a give and take even with everything in place really.

Appreciate the kind of data put in by rehaan. Very informative.

HR.
Old 11th December 2014, 11:21   #45
BANNED

The story of Road accidents in India is so complex.
-Bad Roads
-Badly designed Roads
-Lack of understanding of rules
-No respect for rules.
-Stray pedestrians
-Stray Animals
-Drunks
-I can go on.

At lease making an vehicle safer should not even be debated. It is the easiest to fix in all the problems related accidents. Some of the estimates of all losses to life and property and time loss and processes loss is mind boggling. I guess the manufacturers should not be given an option to release into the market vehicles which do not have at least basic rating in safety.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed