Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 18:24   #31
J.Ravi

Re: Mahindra XUV500 recalled for side airbag software upgrade

Today, my XUV 500 got the software upgradation and cavity protection treatment done at Anant Cars. The details are here.

Old 26th February 2015, 11:06   #32
BHPian

Just back from the service center. Apart from the software upgrade, they sprayed the engine bay area and some hinges with some kind of foul smelling liquid. When asked the SA said its to keep rats at bay and also for rust protection.
gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 16:49   #33
BHPian

Sent my car to the service center for the update today, it almost 3 hours for them to do the update.

I also got this letter a few days back in the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 recalled for side airbag software upgrade-mahindra-letter.jpg  

VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 17:25   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Sent my car to the service center for the update today, it almost 3 hours for them to do the update.
Did they do the cavity treatment also done on your vehicle? Just checking so to budget my time when I take the vehicle for the update.
Old 5th March 2015, 20:40   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Did they do the cavity treatment also done on your vehicle? Just checking so to budget my time when I take the vehicle for the update.
Went for service and software update today -my car apparently did not need cavity treatment as it had it done while manufactured at the factory .
Mine is a Feb 14 manufactured car .
Old 5th March 2015, 21:06   #36
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Anybody knows, what exactly is cavity treatment? and why its needs to be done ?
Old 5th March 2015, 22:17   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamojoym View Post
Mine is a Feb 14 manufactured car .
That is strange, earlier reports mentioned that vehicles manufactured after June 2014 only had the treatment done in factory.

Mine is a May 2014 model and rats find the way inside the engine bay without any trouble. So I guess mine does not have the same done from factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Anybody knows, what exactly is cavity treatment? and why its needs to be done ?
This is to prevent rats from entering engine bay as per reports. You can find the details mentioned by J Ravi here.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 22:32   #38
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is strange, earlier reports mentioned that vehicles manufactured after June 2014 only had the treatment done in factory.

Mine is a May 2014 model and rats find the way inside the engine bay without any trouble. So I guess mine does not have the same done from factory.

This is to prevent rats from entering engine bay as per reports. You can find the details mentioned by J Ravi here.
Thanks Suhas! Read up from the link you provided and the motolube link from Ravi's post.

From what I understood, this is for rust protect and not related to rats. The rat mesh was added about 2 years back in my car. Cavity protection treatment happened just now.

May be rusting complaints (and cavity protection treatment as a solution) was the real reason for the recall being applicable to W6 and W4s as well.

EDIT: There is no way you can avoid rats from entering the engine bay. The problem with XUV was, there was a way for the rats to enter the dashboard/cabin from the engine bay. Now with a rat-mesh, that route is blocked and therefore rats can not enter the dash and the cabin.

Last edited by SDP : 5th March 2015 at 22:35.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 00:01   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think it was done, I'm not sure tough. I had one of my office drivers take the car to the service center, so I was not there myself.

I can check and let you know. My car is a August 2013 model.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 08:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, please await approval to edit and add in the original post. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
Its an ECU update.
=========
But since its a public service action they might have some important changes they like to have the vehicles updated with.
Hi.
In one of the FB groups I had seen a picture of an XUV500 which met with a harsh accident and the airbags failed to deploy. The owner put this up with Mahindra but no info after that and mind you it was a big hit where the front was badly damaged.

Can someone provide more details of the rat mesh as my service center are not aware of this.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th March 2015 at 10:21. Reason: Back to back posts, please await approval to edit and add in the original post. Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 08:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:

I have no clue -apparently they looked up the computer and stated only Flashing of the software .Maybe they have a system where they put a flag on items to be done on particular car .
tamojoym is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 11:34   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Took my XUV yesterday for ECU update. Mine is a May 2015 model, RM informed that only the ECU update has to be performed, it is listed as 'SRS Airbag' in the system as service item.

When checked about the cavity treatment they said it is not applicable for my vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
I can check and let you know. My car is a August 2013 model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamojoym View Post
Maybe they have a system where they put a flag on items to be done on particular car .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
May be rusting complaints (and cavity protection treatment as a solution) was the real reason for the recall being applicable to W6 and W4s as well.
I was bit curious about how the cavity treatment was mentioned for certain vehicles and not mentioned for others, checked the same with RM. Even they are clueless about the same, as per them ECU update for is applicable for all vehicles before June 2014.

However, cavity treatment is applicable only for certain vehicles, RM said some vehicles of Jan / Feb 2014 does not require this treatment. However, few vehicles they checked during recall, which were manufactured during March 2014 needed to had this treatment done. As per RM, they are taking up the cavity treatment based on action item mentioned in the portal against chassis number.

I guess the actual case is what SDP mentioned. Air bag recall which is applicable for all W8 models. M&M gets another fix related to this cavity treatment (rust complaints?) done along with that. Since this applies to all variants they make the air bag ECU update mandatory for all vehicles and get the the cavity treatment for applicable vehicles.
Old 9th March 2015, 15:43   #43
BHPian

Was at a Expo Organized by Sireesh Auto Marathalli where they were showcasing all the tech that go into thier cars .Aparently XUV has a Separate ECU to control Airbag deployment .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks