Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2015, 18:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 recalled for side airbag software upgrade

This is a recall for any and all XUVs manufactured before July 2014 right? So essentially, mine should be a part of it. Don't have the Vehicle Serial Number handy to check the SA website. But then neither did I receive any SMS so far!
Old 18th February 2015, 19:26   #17
BHPian

I got the SMS, have not checked it on-line. Mine is W8 AWD. I called up the service advisor and got an appointment for next Tuesday. They said it might take ~3hrs to complete the job. 3 hours for just software upgrade!!

Will post update after I complete the upgrade.

Scorpio Fan
Old 19th February 2015, 07:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

So this recall is for software update on all variants.
So doesn't that make it a full-product-line-recall (for the period of purchase) ?

If it were restricted to W8 variants with side/curtain airbags, it would still make sense.
But this is like recalling all variants of XUV (purchased during a certain period) to update software. Wouldn't that run into Lakhs of XUVs ?
Looks like a massive failure from M&M's airbag supplier.
Old 19th February 2015, 09:19   #19
BHPian

Its an ECU update. Should not take more than 15 mins. Dealership's are saying 1-3 hours because sometimes their system(PC/laptop) hangs or gets stuck and have to redo again.

So far I have not heard of any XUV who's airbags failed to deploy. So its not something they or us had to panic about.

If its an improvement upon the current ECU settings than it is a welcome change. They could have just done this update when vehicles were taken for regular service. But since its a public service action they might have some important changes they like to have the vehicles updated with.

Last edited by falconion : 19th February 2015 at 09:25.
falconion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 19:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post
I got the SMS, have not checked it on-line. Mine is W8 AWD. I called up the service advisor and got an appointment for next Tuesday. They said it might take ~3hrs to complete the job. 3 hours for just software upgrade!!

Will post update after I complete the upgrade.

Scorpio Fan
I called my RM at TVS Kochi.

She told me it would take 2 hrs to do the software update.

BTW mine is W8 and yet to receive the SMS

Last edited by Vasuki : 19th February 2015 at 19:22.
Old 19th February 2015, 19:40   #21
Team-BHP Support

Finally received the SMS today. Will need to take an appointment I believe. The RMs say 2-3 hours so that everyone does not expect it to be the dentists appointment where they go at the designated time and are ushered in to the chamber within 10-15 mins. They will give you and so many others a tentative slot around that time. Now if not many turn up at that time they may work on your vehicle within 30 mins to 1 hour and give it back to you. On the other hand if they have a huge backlog of people then obviously you will need to wait.

As for me, I probably will drop the vehicle with them in the morning one day and collect it in the evening. Don't think sitting there in the Service Station twiddling my thumb will be very appealing.
Old 19th February 2015, 20:16   #22
BHPian

Had gone to TVS on 17th, for the first service of my XUV. At that time, the RM had told me about this recall, and also about releasing the information to the press. According to him, it is a software upgrade only - and dealership assumes it will take around 1-2 hours total for the upgrade (this might include all processes/paper work if any). Till now, according to him, there has not been any incident reported of failures with the XUV airbags. AFAIK, they have identified an issue with the software which can be a threat, and they are releasing it to all variants (W4, W6 and W8).

Personally, I feel this is a positive gesture by Mahindra, rather than trying to down-play issues, if any. I appreciate M&M in being very open in sharing the information, unlike some other manufacturers who are not bold enough to admit their issues and just wash their hands off saying that they are not aware of any such thing.
Old 20th February 2015, 08:28   #23
BHPian

Hi

Thanks for the Information on recall. We had not received any kind of SMS.
Based on the information, I checked the XUV website and here was the message.

Mahindra XUV500 recalled for side airbag software upgrade-xuv.jpg

I now need to visit the dealer once again.

Yesterday itself, I went to service centre for pre-travel checks as we are leaving Bokaro for Delhi in few hours from now. The RM did not mention anything about it. Otherwise I would have insisted for the upgrade.

Last edited by Wanderers : 20th February 2015 at 08:30.
Old 20th February 2015, 17:28   #24
BHPian

Went to the dealership today and the whole process took about 15-20 mins, which included opening the work order, doing the work, and giving the checkout form.

The ECU update is only a precautionary measure. According to RM they have found out that the side airbags may fail in the future so this update is to prevent that from happening.
Old 20th February 2015, 17:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
According to RM they have found out that the side airbags may fail in the future so this update is to prevent that from happening.
What kind of gobbledygook is that! Sounds like some oracle gazed the crystal ball and came up with that.

The matter of the fact remains that they definitely would have discovered a flawed logic which someone would have figured causes a deployment issue in specific scenarios. It could be something as simple as a delayed deployment which in an accident scenario may not become evident immediately but forensic analysts who study such mishaps can figure out. We will never know why/how M&M realized the issue but it can't be about all those mays and buts... thats just a way to trivialize the whole thing.

The good thing here is that M&M decided to bite the bullet and go ahead for the recall. Unlike say Toyota in US that was forced by the authorities (I think the NHTSA) to do the recall due to that pedal stuck/uncontrolled acceleration issue. Remember, Toyota initially was sitting on the whole thing as a non-issue. It is this thing about M&M that I find refreshingly different. They are much less diffident on things that matter.
Zappo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 21:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I called my RM at TVS Kochi.

She told me it would take 2 hrs to do the software update.

BTW mine is W8 and yet to receive the SMS
Got the SMS today to contact RM.

When I contacted RM earlier with this software update issue, she told me it is not that important, you can bring the vehicle whenever it suits you.
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:02   #27

Gave my September 2013 make W6 for a third free service at India Garage Mahadevpura workshop on the 18th of Feb. When I went to get the car back I was informed by the RM that the ECU remapping has also been done along with the usual oil change and other 3rd service related activities. I was initially under the impression that the recall and subsequent ECU remapping was limited to W8 since I read in the papers that it was related to side airbags. However, I later learned that the recall covers all XUVs manufactured before July 2014.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
The good thing here is that M&M decided to bite the bullet and go ahead for the recall. Unlike say Toyota in US that was forced by the authorities (I think the NHTSA) to do the recall due to that pedal stuck/uncontrolled acceleration issue. Remember, Toyota initially was sitting on the whole thing as a non-issue. It is this thing about M&M that I find refreshingly different. They are much less diffident on things that matter.
I second this, Mahindra could have covered it easily and could have upgraded software during the next service in next few months. They decided to own it up and also make it transparent by publishing it in leading news papers.

I did the upgrade today with Sireesh auto. The process will only take few minutes but including wait time and other activities it took couple of hours. I also opted for a wash. The software version in my case was X08 it was upgraded to X10.

Regards,
Old 24th February 2015, 17:04   #29
BHPian

Had almost ignored the message i had received. Thanks to TBHP, i noticed this thread and checked with my service adviser and he asked me to come down whenever am free and the whole process would take about an hours time. I plan to go there this weekend.
Old 24th February 2015, 17:07   #30
BHPian

Mine is a W6 and i got the service action SMS. Confirmed the same on their website too.

Explanation on XUV Service Action Page:
"Since the software architecture is common, we are upgrading the software across all variants including W8, W6 & W4 so that your vehicle will have the latest version."

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks