Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2015, 10:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 recalled for side airbag software upgrade

Mahindra & Mahindra have issued a recall for the XUV500 SUV. The recall concerns vehicles manufactured on or before July 2014. According to the official statement, the units are being given a side airbag software upgrade. The upgrade will be carried out free of cost for customers who will be individually contacted by the company. This upgrade will be limited only to a software change and no parts will be replaced.

Customers can also visit the ‘Service Action’ section of the website and check whether their vehicle is part of the service action.

Mahindra XUV500 recalled for side airbag software upgrade-wallpaper2_1024x768.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 18th February 2015 at 10:13.
Tushar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 10:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 recalled for side airbag software upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
According to the official statement, the units are being given a side airbag software upgrade.
Since it's a software upgrade only for side airbags, I assume only W8 variants would be affected. Right?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 18th February 2015, 11:02   #3
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Note : All owners of W8 & W8AWD manufactured on or before July 2014, there is a software update for Side Airbags. It is a recall, Software Update only, no parts changed.

Link : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46277322.cms
I received SMS for software Upgrade. Mine is NOV-2013 Manufactured.
Old 18th February 2015, 11:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Since it's a software upgrade only for side airbags, I assume only W8 variants would be affected. Right?

Cheers,
Vikram
And interestingly, the Service Action website shows the variant option as W4 also !
EDIT: I guess it is for other recalls (if needed).

Mahindra XUV500 recalled for side airbag software upgrade-capture.jpg

The W4 & W6 variants indeed do not have side/curtain airbags !
So this is only for W8 variants.

Mahindra XUV500 recalled for side airbag software upgrade-capture1.jpg
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 11:29   #5
J.Ravi

Mine is November 2013 make. Yes, I received a message a few minutes back.

Mahindra XUV500 recalled for side airbag software upgrade-screenshot_20150218111232.png

I got it confirmed in the service action page of Mahindra XUV 500.

Name:  ServiceAction.png
Views: 8300
Size:  78.0 KB
  (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 11:36   #6
SDP
Team-BHP Support

May I request a few W6 owners to please check if their vehicles are included in the recall?
I am aware that W6 does not have side-airbags and therefore should not be affected by this recall. BUT, a fellow W6 owner has already confirmed that his vehicle is part of this recall. So just want to check if his was a one off case (may be a mistake), or there is something that M&M is not telling the owners.

Last edited by SDP : 18th February 2015 at 12:00.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 11:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

I just got an sms SDP for this service but not sure what it is for.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 11:52   #8
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I just got an sms SDP for this service but not sure what it is for.
As per the details on the Service Action page, "There is a possibility of an intermittent fault code that might inhibit deployment of the side curtain airbag."

Yours is which variant? W6 or W8? IIRC, yours is W6.
Old 18th February 2015, 12:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
As per the details on the Service Action page, "There is a possibility of an intermittent fault code that might inhibit deployment of the side curtain airbag."

Yours is which variant? W6 or W8? IIRC, yours is W6.
Yes you are right. Mine is w6. So can they ADD side curtains airbag in my w6
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 12:14   #10
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Yes you are right. Mine is w6. So can they ADD side curtains airbag in my w6
There is something fishy about this recall. There is more to this than meets the eye.

How can they recall W6 models for a "Side airbag related software upgrade" when W6 doesnt even have side airbags?

Nitin, do us a favour please. Call your RM and ask the above question to your RM.
Old 18th February 2015, 12:51   #11
BHPian

An answer on the service action FAQs regarding all variants. So this software update is not limited to only W8 and AWD.

"Since the software architecture is common, we are upgrading the software across all variants including W8, W6 & W4 so that your vehicle will have the latest version."
falconion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 14:38   #12
BHPian

I have a W4, and received the message today morning. Got the 'software update' done in the afternoon.Service centre guys called it a minor software update.
I think they may have remapped the ECU, the low end power delivery since the update has improved steeply.

Is it common for automakers to mask actual issues(which may lead to not so positive word of mouth) under the pretext of minor updates?
Bhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 17:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Just got a call from GM of Koncept Mahindra (Kapil) and he informed me that my vehicle is included in this service. Its just a software update which is common for all variants hence W6 (which doesn't have side airbags) are also included.

Also to clear the air about power being increased due to this update is False. There is no connection bewteen these two. This was confirmed by Kapil. So please don't get excited that your XUV will become a super sonic jet, it will remain a Cheetah.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 17:17   #14
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
An answer on the service action FAQs regarding all variants. So this software update is not limited to only W8 and AWD.

"Since the software architecture is common, we are upgrading the software across all variants including W8, W6 & W4 so that your vehicle will have the latest version."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
...Is it common for automakers to mask actual issues(which may lead to not so positive word of mouth) under the pretext of minor updates?
A fellow XUV owner and a BHPian spoke to a M&M representative and was told that software is same for all airbag deployments and the current software update is for better airbag deployment.

So my personal take on this recall is that, it affects all airbags and therefore all W8/W6/W4 are included in the recall. Speaking about "side airbags" is most likely an attempt to underplay the criticality and thereby to control the noise and negative-publicity associated with any recall in India.

A massive recall puts tremendous pressure on the service center infrastructure. It also involves cost to M&M as the service centers would eventually charge back the cost to M&M, for applying the service-action to each vehicle. So I don't believe, M&M is recaling W6 and W4 models and incurring costs just so that the owners can have the latest software which by the way does not have ANY impact to their vehicles (as they don't have side airbags). If this wasn't important AND applicable to all models, Mahindras could have easily waited for the W6/W4s to come in for next service and then apply the patch.

Another grouse that I have with M&M is the sheer amount of time they waste after understanding a problem and finding a solution. e.g. in this case, all vehicles from July'2014 onwards already have the updated software which is so critical to warrant a recall. Then why did M&M wait for 6 months for initiating the recall? Last time when I asked this question, the answer was ...parts involved in recall need to be manufactured by vendors and stocked by the dealers in adequate numbers so that there is no supply issue when the recall is announced. In this case, even that excuse is not valid as its a piece of software code that we are talking about.

Last edited by Zappo : 18th February 2015 at 18:43. Reason: Edited on request.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 17:31   #15
BHPian

Agree with SDP here, we can definitely conclude that the recall concerns all the three models and is most probably not about side airbags - the issue in question may be front airbags, or in my opinion, even ECU remapping leading to increase in low end power/torque delivery as a positive by-effect.

Most Viewed