Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2016, 20:12   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda recalls City, Jazz and Civic for Airbag defect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Did some digging and came across these cross section images of the co-driver
Thanks for the image. Helps us understand the insides if the inflator unit. Reg. the airbags, yes they are located in the same big housing with the inflator but inside the housing both the inflator and the airbags are two different units.
Thanks for the cross section image.
Regards
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 07:26   #62
BHPian

Aftermarket Seat belt and airbags for Pajero Sport

My car had a quite minor accident recently. Not much damage, except the airbags got deployed, the seat belts were ruined because they broke their sensor springs or whatever. Bottomline, for something quite minor, I am now looking at a cost of 6 lakh (as quoted by authorized service center) to replace airbags and seat belts. The dashboard and steering wheel are looking nasty too.

Does anybody know where I can buy aftermarket seat belts and airbags for Pajero Sport? Is there any good dealer in Bangalore. How much could be the approximate cost?

On team-bhp, there are some old threads discussing Maruti Swift and other such car seat belt air bags etc, quoting very low prices - 20k or so, I think.

Please help!
Old 30th March 2016, 08:00   #63
BHPian

Re: Aftermarket Seat belt and airbags for Pajero Sport

Are you looking for those rally like 4 point seatbelts or replacement seatbelt pretensioners?
I don't think anyone in India would stock spares for a Pajero sport, especially not if it's something like an airbag. Did you try looking at Thailand?
Doge is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 10:03   #64
BHPian

Check on eBay UK, you could get the entire steering assembly with airbag off a car breaker, try mitzybitz on eBay they deal purely with Mitsubishis ,a tad expensive but I am sure it will be well worth the try,only issue could be customs but tell them to courier it and the courier company will take care of clearing the item from customs on fair value basis ,however you will have to provide them with original invoice.
cjt2012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 14:04   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDey View Post
My car had a quite minor accident recently. Not much damage, except the airbags got deployed, the seat belts were ruined because they broke their sensor springs or whatever. Bottomline, for something quite minor, I am now looking at a cost of 6 lakh (as quoted by authorized service center) to replace airbags and seat belts. The dashboard and steering wheel are looking nasty too.

Does anybody know where I can buy aftermarket seat belts and airbags for Pajero Sport? Is there any good dealer in Bangalore. How much could be the approximate cost?

On team-bhp, there are some old threads discussing Maruti Swift and other such car seat belt air bags etc, quoting very low prices - 20k or so, I think.

Please help!
Take a look at this for the blown out airbags -

And this link for the seat belt thing -

Old 30th March 2016, 14:16   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Ebay australia and uk is your best bet. Big market for pajero and lots of scrap vehicle parts being sold there.

Another big market is Russia, but to decode stuff online would be an issue. Plus trust issue with regards to Russian sellers.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 14:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

How old is the car? Isn't insurance an option? Did you try a FNG as well for sourcing parts?
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 19:24   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
How old is the car? Isn't insurance an option? Did you try a FNG as well for sourcing parts?
Thanks for all replies. I will ask a friend in Singapore to source something, maybe going there and bringing back is cheaper than buying here - they quoted 6 lakh!!

Car has insurance, it is only 2 years old, but insurance didn't cover airbags/seatbelts.

Today I went to Stanley and asked them to cover everything in leather so at least the big gap is not visible. Cost some money but hate that look - looks like it will be a while before I can get the airbags done.

I was just in Europe, France is full of Pajeros, could have bought it there, I guess - just didn't think of it.
Old 9th April 2016, 00:00   #69

Re: Airbags: All you need to know!

I have a 2009 i20 Asta whose Airbag Control Unit and Clockspring have gone kaput. These two parts alone cost a whooping 32k. If I choose to get them replaced by Hyundai, is it possible to claim insurance? Or should I scout the market for these parts?
Old 21st April 2016, 15:32   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu220194 View Post
I have a 2009 i20 Asta whose Airbag Control Unit and Clockspring have gone kaput. These two parts alone cost a whooping 32k. If I choose to get them replaced by Hyundai, is it possible to claim insurance? Or should I scout the market for these parts?
The clockspring is a relatively cheap part. I had to pay about 1700/-(don't remember exactly) for my 2010 i20 Asta.
I suppose you cannot claim insurance since its just an electronic component but I'm not sure. Please check with the insurance provider.

Another option for the airbag control unit is you can hunt for 2nd hand part, although I DO NOT recommend it. It is the matter of safety. IMHO, bite the bullet and purchase it, if the insurance doesn't cover it.

On another note, I have a question for everyone out there! I hope its not stupid! Here goes,

For people like myself who wear specs, in an accident where the airbags are deployed, wouldn't it be dangerous? I mean you hitting the airbag wont shove the specs/lenses/glass shards (for people using glass lenses,if they shatter) in your eyes?
How do you err on the side of caution here ?!
Old 21st April 2016, 15:56   #71
BHPian

A good question. I think in an accident where the airbag deploys, you already are in a big mess. Your specs and face should be the least of your worries. If the airbag saves your life you will still have a lot to be grateful to God about it.

I should think that the scenario will be really serious. The airbags main use is to protect you from life threatening injuries which it will do. However an accident will still involve lots of cuts and bruises.

Last edited by ampere : 21st April 2016 at 16:53. Reason: Punctuation
Old 21st April 2016, 16:07   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post

For people like myself who wear specs, in an accident where the airbags are deployed, wouldn't it be dangerous? I mean you hitting the airbag wont shove the specs/lenses/glass shards (for people using glass lenses,if they shatter) in your eyes?
How do you err on the side of caution here ?!
You should adjust your seating position and steering tilt (if available) in a way so that the steering wheel points to your chest and not your face. This helps avoid unwanted injuries to face and head which is also more fragile area of the human body.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 08:46   #73

Update: This may seem like a long post, but bear with me.

One fine Sunday, I began scouring some expert part shops in Saki Naka, Mumbai who told me that my Airbag Controller will be difficult to source and the best way to get it would be via Hyundai (which wanted 31k)
The shopkeepers also suggested I go to Kurla Chor Bazaar and try finding the part.

I took a risk and went there, and couldn't find the part, although someone pointed me in the direction of an *expert* electrician in Jogeshwari who could repair the module.

Since I was already on the adventure, we set out again to meet this fellow.

His name is Shamim. He is truly an expert. We saw him working on an Audi, Mercedes, Skoda and Volkswagen. That gave me hope.

This guy spent 2 hrs trying to fix it, but couldn't. He asked for 45 minutes and tried to source the part. And Voila! True to his word, Shamim found us the part.

The car is now fixed, with a new airbag controller and clockspring. Net damage = 7K

Saved atleast 28K

Here's his number: 099-20-447724
Address is: Somewhere near Behram Bagh, near Kazibada Signal, Jogeshwari

It's around 1 Km from Mega Mall and 1 km from Lotus petrol pump in Lokhandwala

A true expert. He can source ECUs and any electronic part for any car. He told me he's even resurrected a Chennai flood hit B class.

(His workshop stays open till 1 AM)
manu220194 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 21:14   #74
Team-BHP Support

Curtain airbags doing their job beautifully:

Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 22:34   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Curtain airbags doing their job beautifully:
Effective will be an understatement. Saved the head injuries (& probably even fatalities). The situation would have been much worse had there not been the cushioning between the heads of passengers and the pillars.

Thanks for sharing Rehaan!

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks