Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2016, 23:05   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu220194 View Post
Update: This may seem like a long post, but bear with me.

His name is Shamim. He is truly an expert. We saw him working on an Audi, Mercedes, Skoda and Volkswagen. That gave me hope.

This guy spent 2 hrs trying to fix it, but couldn't. He asked for 45 minutes and tried to source the part. And Voila! True to his word, Shamim found us the part.

(His workshop stays open till 1 AM)
Thanks for this. As you may know, I've been having immobiliser issues with my i10. Even after replacing the PCM from Hyundai, my issues didn't not get resolved. ( I didn't post anything on Tbhp due to various reasons.) Due to my relationship with the workshop they gave to me in writing that the issue will be resolved else they will refund my payment. And they did.( LONG story, I may just write a thread regarding this i10 issue once I get a full report and solution )
I had saved my original PCM, so they fit that one back and did all the coding etc.

Coming back to the point, after speaking to numerous people about the issue, I called him up just before writing this post. He knew exactly what component in the PCM is causing this issues. Will meet him once he comes back from his trip.

I know I recommended you to go the OEM route, but thanks for this. If it weren't for you, I was actually hopeless.
He may probably be the one who solves my issue once and for all!!
I will continue this issue on the "My car won't start what to do" thread as it progresses!!

Thanks again!
Old 17th May 2016, 17:31   #77
Team-BHP Support

Re: Airbags: All you need to know!

Just compare these two videos!

KWID (III) - No Airbags

KWID (III) - Driver Airbag

Source : Global NCAP Youtube
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 14:11   #78
BHPian

My friend told me about an incident concerning airbag deployment: His friend had a Honda City and while driving, he had hit a dog on the road. Unfortunately the airbag got activated, he lost control of his car and got into some serious injury. Though he is fine now, the damage caused the car to be written off.

Now, dogs are so common on Indian roads and after hearing this I seem to panic when I see the dog on my path
jowes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 18:40   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post

For people like myself who wear specs, in an accident where the airbags are deployed, wouldn't it be dangerous? I mean you hitting the airbag wont shove the specs/lenses/glass shards (for people using glass lenses,if they shatter) in your eyes?
How do you err on the side of caution here ?!
Great question mate, and I think this is applicable to all of us who prefer to wear shades while driving during the day time. I never thought of this until now and now this question of yours has put some thoughts about how to manage it. No solution yet, but surely something to ponder about.

Old 1st February 2017, 19:03   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Great question mate, and I think this is applicable to all of us who prefer to wear shades while driving during the day time. I never thought of this until now and now this question of yours has put some thoughts about how to manage it. No solution yet, but surely something to ponder about.

This was discussed in another thread: How safe is wearing spectacles/sun glasses in a car with Airbags?

A study found this:
Quote:
The risk of airbag-associated eye trauma appears to be low and no greater for spectacle wearers compared with nonwearers.
Details of the study is in the above link.

But, there is atleast one such injury reported. Link
Quote:
A 38-year-old Japanese man was driving a car at approximately 40 km per hour when he struck a stopped 2-ton truck. He was wearing a three-point lap-shoulder seat belt. At impact, the driver's-side air bag deployed and struck the man on the left side of his face. He was wearing eyeglasses with glass lenses, and the air bag broke the left lens of his eyeglasses, and glass fragments lacerated his cornea
There is a small risk of eye injury in non-wearers too, it seems.

Last edited by deerhunter : 1st February 2017 at 19:16.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 19:55   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Glass-lens spectacles seem rare these days.

I'm sorry to say that it was only from the manual from my previous car (ie it took me half a lifetime) that I found out that airbags should be aimed at the chest, not the face. However, I still would not like to wear glass specs in the car.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 14:19   #82
BANNED

How to know whether airbag module is intact or removed?

I am looking for an used Laura/Fluidic verna diesel top end. But mechanically we can check the worthiness, but how can i check, whether the all airbags (assume 6 airbags) are in working condition, if the module is in there, But other scenario, what if the dealer or seller had removed 2-3 airbag module? Is there any option to check it and their electronics like ECM etc.

And need to know the feedback on old type Laura diesel L&K manual transmission. normal wear and tear spares cost etc. Thank you
Old 7th February 2017, 14:39   #83
BHPian

Re: How to know whether airbag module is intact or removed?

Why would anyone remove it in an ok street car? Any accident repair resulting in airbag deployment would have other telltale signs that a mechanic could easily spot, apart from error codes or warning lights.
If you don't suspect a major accident repair, I guess you need not worry about tampered airbag modules in the cars mentioned. Hope you never face an event to actually test their performance.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 14:40   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Majority of cars have airbag lights. In this case, the Verna and Laura have airbag lights to detect a fault in:
- the seat belt pretensioner
-the airbag module itself
- the wire harness
- the external sensors which detect the crash and acceleration to deploy the airbag itself

Either ways, you should take a suitable ross tech diagnosis tool for the laura which will be available with a mechanic just to check for certain other electric faults as both cars in questions are complex.

What do you mean by old type? Do you mean the 1.9 pump duse ones?

All the best!

Regards,
Vishy76

Last edited by vishy76 : 7th February 2017 at 14:44.
Old 7th February 2017, 15:52   #85
Team-BHP Support

I don't know about the other airbag modules, but here's an easy pictorial guide to how you can check if the driver side airbag is in place.

When the one on my City was being replaced as part of the recall, I was at the service bay checking the process.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4020600
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 16:01   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
how can i check, whether the all airbags (assume 6 airbags) are in working condition, if the module is in there, But other scenario, what if the dealer or seller had removed 2-3 airbag module? Is there any option to check it and their electronics like ECM etc.
I think this is just a matter of "Trust" in either a used car OR even in the case of new cars

Why I say this is because, even when you purchase a new car, how would you test the air bag features? Whether it really functions and saves you in real life scenario during accident ?

This is a un-testable scenario.

Only after an accident, if the airbags do not function, there will be post facto investigations to justify why Airbags did not work?
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 20:04   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for an used Laura/Fluidic verna diesel top end. But mechanically we can check the worthiness, but how can i check, whether the all airbags (assume 6 airbags) are in working condition, if the module is in there, But other scenario, what if the dealer or seller had removed 2-3 airbag module? Is there any option to check it and their electronics like ECM etc.

And need to know the feedback on old type Laura diesel L&K manual transmission. normal wear and tear spares cost etc. Thank you
For all VW group cars (including Skoda), you can get a report like the following (and a lot more info) using a VAGCOM cable:

00-Steering Angle Sensor -- Status: OK 0000
01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
1C-Position Sensing -- Status: OK 0000
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: Malfunction 0010
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
55-Xenon Range -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
65-Tire Pressure -- Status: OK 0000
72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 20:35   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
how can i check, whether the all airbags (assume 6 airbags) are in working condition, if the module is in there, But other scenario, what if the dealer or seller had removed 2-3 airbag module?
I got your point buddy, this happens for sure in used market. Functionality is difficult to confirm, but presence can be checked. Any mechanic / A.S.S could do that. Another way is through VAGCOM for VW family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Why would anyone remove it in an ok street car?
We live in a planet filled with greedy hearts. There are cases where used car dealers, sometimes sellers themself, middle men incase of assets recovered by finance institutions remove accessories and parts (including air bag, spare wheels) and sell them offline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Majority of cars have airbag lights.
What if the lamp is disconnected / bulb removed / failed? This is another scam running in used car market these days (witnessed one of the flood affected car sale case)
Old 7th February 2017, 20:38   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Majority of cars have airbag lights. In this case, the Verna and Laura have airbag lights to detect a fault in:
- the seat belt pretensioner
-the airbag module itself
- the wire harness
- the external sensors which detect the crash and acceleration to deploy the airbag itself

Either ways, you should take a suitable ross tech diagnosis tool for the laura which will be available with a mechanic just to check for certain other electric faults as both cars in questions are complex.

What do you mean by old type? Do you mean the 1.9 pump duse ones?

All the best!

Regards,
Vishy76
yes Vishy , i am not sure its pump duse, but i like the old looks which came during the year 2006 , 07 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
For all VW group cars (including Skoda), you can get a report like the following (and a lot more info) using a VAGCOM cable:

00-Steering Angle Sensor -- Status: OK 0000
01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
1C-Position Sensing -- Status: OK 0000
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: Malfunction 0010
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
55-Xenon Range -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
65-Tire Pressure -- Status: OK 0000
72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000
Thank you sir. will look into this !
Old 7th February 2017, 20:40   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Get a scan done. All modules present and any error if present will be shown. Either take it to a workshop which has a scanner or look for a friend with VCDS cable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks