Team-BHP - XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/161521-xuv500-safety-issue-weak-alloy-wheels-edit-mahindra-starts-silent-recall-12.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by double (Post 3682919)

Mahindra, Are you watching ?

I would request both of you as well as others [who have a W6 with speed alloys] to shoot an e-mail to customer care with a link to this thread. You may request them to get it checked first hand, as member Rahul from Siliguri got it checked from ASC after being called [after he raised this issue] and only one alloy [IIRC] was found to be defective, so they have some sort of procedure to check for defects.

I do not think all alloys are defective, but at least Mahindra should be proactive & check these alloy wheels & replace the ones which are faulty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhar24 (Post 3683039)
I am going to contact the service center soon.

I contacted customer care for my W6 (Apr14) with dealer installed speed rim alloys. Mr Sanjoy Gupta and Mr Arun Nair (Mahindra Bangalore) confirmed that the speed rims on my W6 are not a part of suspected batch. They ran a query based on my vehicle registration number.
During my conversation, he mentioned they are working with the manufacturer of the alloys and suspect a batch of speed rim alloys have a manufacturing quality issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guunbuu (Post 3683673)
I contacted customer care for my W6 (Apr14) with dealer installed speed rim alloys. Mr Sanjoy Gupta and Mr Arun Nair (Mahindra Bangalore) confirmed that the speed rims on my W6 are not a part of suspected batch. They ran a query based on my vehicle registration number.
During my conversation, he mentioned they are working with the manufacturer of the alloys and suspect a batch of speed rim alloys have a manufacturing quality issue.

The batch number of the alloys have to be visually inspected and it can't be confirmed wether its falls under defective batch by your cars registartion number.

I have received a call from the workshop to get the vehicle for a service check-up. When I specifically asked them if this is related to the alloys issue and they will change them after checking the batch number. I am planning to go there on Wednesday. I am currently running on OEM Steel RIMS and have to take the Alloys separately to the dealer.

- Shiva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDP (Post 3681302)
Somehow I doubt that.

Let's check with apn6, if he had complained because of which he got the replacement.

Had you written to or called customer-care after the alloy-breaking news and expressed concern about your alloys? Just trying to figure out if Mahindras are replacing alloys only for people who voiced concerns.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply ... I was out on a Ooty-Conoor-Kothagiri trip for the last seven days :ThumbsUp with no/limited access to Internet :( but good in a sense if you want to escape the e-world once in a while ;)

The answer to your query is nope. My relationship manager called me on his own. I did not ask him to check my rims.

Btw the new replaced alloys have posed no problems till now (touchwood) after hours of highway and hill drives through potholes, patch works and muddy terrains.

Hi Folks, I have booked a Silver W6 and planning to install alloys provided by Mahindra(Super Speed Rims). Can anybody update me as to if the issue is all resolved and can I go ahead and install them without any issues? Need your inputs at the earliest.

Also the showroom guys say that they wont take back the steel rims, hence what am I supposed to do with them as I don't have space to keep them with me.

Or is there any dealer available in Bangalore who sells alloys for XUV with the same specs, because I want the tires to be aligned perfectly to the body and not protrude out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusionbang (Post 3706828)
Hi Folks, I have booked a Silver W6 and planning to install alloys provided by Mahindra(Super Speed Rims). Can anybody update me as to if the issue is all resolved and can I go ahead and install them without any issues? Need your inputs at the earliest.

Also the showroom guys say that they wont take back the steel rims, hence what am I supposed to do with them as I don't have space to keep them with me.

Or is there any dealer available in Bangalore who sells alloys for XUV with the same specs, because I want the tires to be aligned perfectly to the body and not protrude out.

Why do you wanna buy mahindra alloys? If you really liked that design then go for it. Otherwise you get multiple options outside plus no headache of them going kaput like mahindra alloys did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitinralli (Post 3706974)
Why do you wanna buy mahindra alloys? If you really liked that design then go for it. Otherwise you get multiple options outside plus no headache of them going kaput like mahindra alloys did.

I tried multiple options outside nitin, but it is all of 8J spec and it protrudes out which I don't want. Do we get 7J spec alloys outside for R17?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusionbang (Post 3706978)
I tried multiple options outside nitin, but it is all of 8J spec and it protrudes out which I don't want. Do we get 7J spec alloys outside for R17?

Yes we do. I have seen many XUV's here in delhi where their alloys do not protrude out. Not sure why you cant find them in your city.

Quote:

Shouldn't be an issue, as the problem only seems to have been with a particular batch from years back. To be on the safe side, you can have the serial number cross-checked against the list that the service advisors will have (not the dealer).

Quote:

Go to any tyre dealer and 'give' it to them. I say 'give', because they'll offer you such a low (per Kg) price that it will be like giving them away.

Alternatively, post them on the BHPians free giveaway thread - someone will probably claim them! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitinralli (Post 3706994)
Yes we do. I have seen many XUV's here in delhi where their alloys do not protrude out. Not sure why you cant find them in your city.

Thanks Nitin. I will visit multiple alloy dealers this saturday and check for the best available. In case I don't find a good one, I will stick to these super speed rims.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 3707024)
Shouldn't be an issue, as the problem only seems to have been with a particular batch from years back. To be on the safe side, you can have the serial number cross-checked against the list that the service advisors will have (not the dealer).

Go to any tyre dealer and 'give' it to them. I say 'give', because they'll offer you such a low (per Kg) price that it will be like giving them away.

Alternatively, post them on the BHPians free giveaway thread - someone will probably claim them! :)

Thanks Rehaan, I will make sure I check with the service advisor's if I am opting for them, before which I will be checking with alloy dealers as mentioned above.

This is very sad that i had to bring this old thread alive. On the way to Varanasi from Siliguri i noticed a slight right pull in my xuv. I thought it's the time for alignment and carried on my journey.

After driving for 16 hours i reached Varanasi and retired for the day. Next day morning when i woke up and went near the car i observed that air pressure was low in front right side tire. Thus i felt that there is a puncture and this was the cause for the right pull.

I visited a tire shop immediately and when that particular tire was being inspected to my horror and surprise there was no puncture in fact there was a crack in the alloys in the inner side which holds the tire and the air is leaking from there.

I know it has been more than three years and the alloys are out of warranty and without any impact at high speeds or something one of the alloys has given up. I think they are designed for lasting the lifetime of a car if without any accident or impact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_kej (Post 4313343)
I think they are designed for lasting the lifetime of a car if without any accident or impact.

I don't think they are because of the varied road conditions and driving we do on our roads everyday.

An alloy can easily develop cracks when accidentally hitting a pothole at good speeds. There are so many cases where alloys have cracked due to this sole reason; which is very much normal.

From the picture your posted, it appears normal unless you are very sure that the vehicle never experienced bad roads and that it never went over a bad patch or a pothole at good speeds in its entire history from the date of purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4313356)
From the picture your posted, it appears normal unless you are very sure that the vehicle never experienced bad roads and that it never went over a bad patch or a pothole at good speeds in its entire history from the date of purchase.

Yes it has done occasional bad roads, which we face during any road trips but that's what an SUV is made for. And yes if it is very normal for alloys to develop cracks that too in just 3 years and 25k kms, i might not take the issue up with Mahindra.