Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2015, 20:07   #106
Team-BHP Support

re: XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I have seen Neo alloys offered as Mahindra Genuine Accessories on new Scorpio. It actually had the Neo logo, when I checked out one 2 days back.
The OE ones? Yet to see alloys for the W105 as Genuine Accessory.
Old 15th March 2015, 21:14   #107
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The OE ones? Yet to see alloys for the W105 as Genuine Accessory.
Not the OE ones. Those are R17. At the service center there was a lower variant (most likely S6 or S8) parked with all possible accessories installed and a price list pasted on the windshield. The alloys on that one were Neo ones and were R15. Different design than what you get on S10.

Just looked up the official site. The accessories brochure lists both 17 inch and 15 inch alloys.
http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/dataH...y_Brochure.pdf

Last edited by SDP : 15th March 2015 at 21:15.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 09:57   #108
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Upon raising this concern with Mahindra, this is the reply that the company sent out.

Names anonymized on request:

Quote:
Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your communication. We are indeed grateful that you have taken time to share your anxiety and concern about the incident as narrated in the link.

We do not yet know the root cause, part has reached diagnosis center and team is on the job. Since this is an accessory (ie not factory fit) a detailed FMEA will be done at our accessory vendor’s end and any concern identified would be addressed with help from M&M experts.

At Mahindra we attach top priority to safety , please rest assured of our firm commitment on this and steps we will take to reach out to users for a proactive inspection for that batch of alloys if investigations suggests that there is a need to do so.

Thank you again for taking the trouble to share the post with us.

Regards,

xxxx

Customer Care-Automotive Division
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 10:47   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Comforting to see Mahindra's positive response to the issue. Now just hoping that Mahindra would take the corrective action, if any required, as early as possible.
Just a small concern that why can't Mahindra carry out this quality control test at their own lab. They would have systems in place anyway to check if vendors conform to their quality standards. Why to rely on the test report carried by the vendor?
Old 16th March 2015, 12:13   #110
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Comforting to see Mahindra's positive response to the issue. Now just hoping that Mahindra would take the corrective action, if any required, as early as possible.
I believe the email response is just too open ended.
1. Although its been about a week since the second incident happened, they still do not know the root cause.
2. The mail does not even mention by what date the investigation would be complete and the root-cause would be known.
3. It almost sounds like: "It was an accessory and therefore the accessory vendor's problem. Let them investigate and figure out."
4. While the email pays lip-service to safety, it conveniently ignores the possibility of another accident while the elaborate root-cause analysis is being carried out. So basically: "A incident or two happened. We don't know how. You should keep on driving and possibly endangering your life till we figure out what exactly happened."

If you ask me, the owner who sent out the email to customer-care, would not get another email from them when the investigation is over. M&M is not going to send the results of the investigation to other owners of cars with those alloys. I would be positively surprised, if even the impacted owner (Rakesh) gets a straight answer without followups.

Quote:
Just a small concern that why can't Mahindra carry out this quality control test at their own lab. They would have systems in place anyway to check if vendors conform to their quality standards. Why to rely on the test report carried by the vendor?
Very true. Both the vendor as well as M&M have vested interests. So, ideally should have been handled by a third party.

Last edited by SDP : 16th March 2015 at 12:28.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 12:20   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Any update by the member on how the alloys have been inspected by the Mahindra A.S.S. team?

In my knowledge, the ONLY way to inspect an alloy wheel for faults is Xray-ing them (mentioned earlier as well).
Quote:
I believe the email response is just too open ended.
1. Although its been about a week since the second incident happened, they still do not know the root cause.
2. The mail does not even mention by what date the investigation would be complete and the root-cause would be known.
3. It almost sounds like: It was an accessory and therefore the accessory vendor's problem. Let them investigate and figure out.

If you ask me, the owner who sent out the email to customer-care, would not get another email from them when the investigation is over. M&M is not going to send the results of the investigation to other owners of cars with those alloys. I would be positively surprised, if the impacted owner (Rakesh) gets a straight answer without followups.

Very true. Both the vendor as well as M&M have vested interests. So, ideally should have been handled by a third party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Already mentioned earlier. XRay facilities to check alloy wheels are required, and Mahindra may not have the equipment in-house.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 11:24   #112
Senior - BHPian

How shall the existing users of XUV500 check if the alloy wheel on their vehicles have defects or potential to crack? Two of my relatives use this vehicle and I am really concerned about their safety.
Old 18th March 2015, 10:49   #113
BHPian

Has anybody heard anything back from Mahindra other than assurances .How long do you think it might take them to make a call ?
tamojoym is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 11:06   #114
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamojoym View Post
Has anybody heard anything back from Mahindra other than assurances .How long do you think it might take them to make a call ?
If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the root-cause analysis from M&M. Not going to happen.
Old 18th March 2015, 11:53   #115
BHPian

Quote:
If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the root-cause analysis from M&M. Not going to happen.
Hmm .I was really pinning my hopes on Mahindra .Why do you say so -previous experience . Any good after market alloys that you suggest as a replacement .In fact I was looking for options came across GTR ,Neo or Plati .Or is it best to go for steel rims .
Old 18th March 2015, 12:06   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
How shall the existing users of XUV500 check if the alloy wheel on their vehicles have defects or potential to crack? Two of my relatives use this vehicle and I am really concerned about their safety.
Write to the dealer asking for a refund and shift to the OE wheels. A fellow member got it, as mentioned as few pages back. Since Mahindra is aware that this is a problem and a potential PR disaster, I don't think they will allow the dealer to make a fuss. Give it a try.
Old 18th March 2015, 12:51   #117
BHPian

I own a W6 and have these alloys from Day 1. Drove around 6500 KM so far and faced no issues.

I had a discussion with the dealer and they mentioned they have not received any complaints on this and that they sell these alloys by the dozens every day. Anyways, I did not want to take any risks and asked them for options to change back to original wheels (Non-Alloy). They gave me the option to buy back the original wheels and the wheel caps for Rs 3500 with additional charges for wheel changing and balancing. Currently my car is at the workshop and the work should be done in the next 1-2 hours. I will move back to the Alloys once I am satisfied with the explanation given by M & M on this issue and until then I am OK to drive around in steel RIMS.

Probably I was over reacting but again this is not something that can be overlooked or risked and in my view the extra amount is worth spending for the peace of mind.

-Shiva
skotha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 13:35   #118
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Any good after market alloys that you suggest as a replacement .In fact I was looking for options came across GTR ,Neo or Plati .Or is it best to go for steel rims .
Do you have the stock alloys or the Speed-Rim design alloys?
If you have the stock alloys, the one with thick spokes, you should be fine I guess. If you have the speed-rim alloys about which this thread is, then you should be a bit careful while driving (till the matter is sorted out). If you haven't done so already, do reach out to customer care formally via email and get your alloys inspected by the service center for your peace of mind.

We will have to wait for the final verdict on these alloys till M&M comes out with the analysis of what happened. But I genuinely doubt, they would share it.
Old 18th March 2015, 13:58   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have the stock alloys or the Speed-Rim design alloys?
If you have the stock alloys, the one with thick spokes, you should be fine I guess. If you have the speed-rim alloys about which this thread is, then you should be a bit careful while driving (till the matter is sorted out). If you haven't done so already, do reach out to customer care formally via email and get your alloys inspected by the service center for your peace of mind.

We will have to wait for the final verdict on these alloys till M&M comes out with the analysis of what happened. But I genuinely doubt, they would share it.
I am on speed rim unfortunately .I have already contacted customer care and no option of Inspection given or was asked to have the wheel inspected .Anyway what inspection would the service center guys do with their naked eyes as someone pointed out the alloys can only be inspected via X-rays . Actually contemplating changing the alloys to after market known ones -maybe over reacting .

My car has run nearly a year on this alloys .
Old 18th March 2015, 14:22   #120
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am on speed rim unfortunately .I have already contacted customer care and no option of Inspection given or was asked to have the wheel inspected. ...
What did the customer care reply?

Quote:
Anyway what inspection would the service center guys do with their naked eyes as someone pointed out the alloys can only be inspected via X-rays . Actually contemplating changing the alloys to after market known ones -maybe over reacting .

My car has run nearly a year on this alloys
May be as Dry Ice suggested, write to the dealer with customer care in loop and ask for full refund on the alloys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks