Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2015, 19:25   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
I was scared out of my wits to see the picture of broken alloys in the posts made by SDP and GTO. The respective owners should feel that they were lucky not to have ended up in a major accident due to that.

I read some articles to compare the regular mild steel rims and alloys and found that rims only dent and generally do not crack like alloys. I feel that having rims is a safe bet.

Do alloys give any technical advantage over the regular MS ones?
I have not changed back to steel wheels and still runs on speed rims. But will change this week.

BTW,is the pcd for Scorpio and xuv are same? Today happened to see new Scorpio closely. It is R17/235 profile.

Anyone has any idea?
Old 26th March 2015, 11:34   #137
BHPian

re: XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double View Post
BTW,is the pcd for Scorpio and xuv are same?
Anyone has any idea?
No they are not the same PCD .Scorpio pcd is 114.3 I believe
Old 27th March 2015, 17:58   #138
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!

I pinged the owner Rakesh some 5 days back on FB. No response from him about any communication back from M&M about why his alloy broke.

Looks like even this mystery would remain unsolved (or solved and buried).
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 17:11   #139

Damn this is a serious issue!!

Good that at least Mahindra in Chennai has started recalling the XUV's with the speed alloys to change them with a new batch of speed alloys.

According to My relationship manager , they have started this recall process from last Friday it seems. I got mine changed today
apn6 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 17:40   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apn6 View Post

Good that at least Mahindra in Chennai has started recalling the XUV's with the speed alloys to change them with a new batch of speed alloys.

According to My relationship manager , they have started this recall process from last Friday it seems. I got mine changed today
Good to know that Mahindra is changing the defective alloys

Is the design same for the new alloys being changed? or a different design?
Old 7th April 2015, 17:53   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Do we have any official communication from Mahindra? Or it is like one of those silent recalls? Any confirmation of the recall from other places?

Last edited by saket77 : 7th April 2015 at 17:55.
Old 7th April 2015, 18:22   #142
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

This is a really good news. Kudos to Mahindras!

Can you please check and confirm if this is a 'official' recall?
Easy way of verifying is to enter your details here: http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/service-action/

and checking if the particular recall shows up.

Please do let us know.

Last edited by SDP : 7th April 2015 at 18:24.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 23:38   #143
BHPian

Stand up and take a bow Mahindra! Its not often a manufacturer works pro-actively to reach out to its customers and address problems that are brought to its attention. It would have been quite easy for them to pass it off on the end user (hint hint a certain manufacturer) instead they took the feedback constructively and have a taken a positive step to deal with it.
shady_lawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 13:02   #144
BHPian

At the service centre now. The batch number of the alloys being inspected. If it falls under defective batch number the alloys will be replaced with new set. And yes its a silent recall.
Attached Thumbnails
XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!-1428478256089.jpg  

rahul_kej is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 13:15   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra - even if its a silent recall. At least they acknowledge the fact that the part is defective and are acting positively on it. And that has happened only because they would have conducted a fair & extensive test. Appreciate the effort.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 13:50   #146
BHPian

Since I had to do highway runs I have already exchanged my alloys with after market ones to relieve my self of the mental agony I was going through every time I took my car out .I was not willing to risk running on those alloys on the highway with my family .
But anyway Kudos to Mahindra for acknowledging and rectifying the defect .
Old 8th April 2015, 15:00   #147
BHPian

Out of 4 alloys 1 was from defective batch. They changed it immediately.
Attached Thumbnails
XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!-1428485407342.jpg  

rahul_kej is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 15:26   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
This is a really good news. Kudos to Mahindras!

Can you please check and confirm if this is a 'official' recall?
Easy way of verifying is to enter your details here: http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/service-action/

and checking if the particular recall shows up.

Please do let us know.

SDP,
Nope this does not come up in the website.

As Rahul has mentioned in his previous post, it's a silent recall till date... The relationship managers have been informed to call the customers with speed alloys installed to check the batch number, it seems.

In mine, only two alloys were replaced as they were from the "damaged" batch.

My guess is that since this might be a problem specific to a small batch of alloys, and they might be trying to do it offline. Never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Good to know that Mahindra is changing the defective alloys

Is the design same for the new alloys being changed? or a different design?

Fusionbang,

The design is exactly the same. BTW, they are not replacing the whole lot... Jusy the ones from the defective batch. So it's the same alloy pattern.

IMHO, I love those speed alloys on my red Prime. I wouldn't want them to change it to any other!

Last edited by Eddy : 8th April 2015 at 16:18. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
apn6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 15:46   #149
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
SDP,
Nope this does not come up in the website.

As Rahul has mentioned in his previous post, it's a silent recall till date... The relationship managers have been informed to call the customers with speed alloys installed to check the batch number, it seems.

In mine, only two alloys were replaced as they were from the "damaged" batch.
Thanks for the confirmation buddy!

Quote:
My guess is that since this might be a problem specific to a small batch of alloys, and they might be trying to do it offline. Never know.
I guess there would be other challenges in this. Since this is an accessory, I doubt there would a proper record keeping of which serial number alloys are installed on which XUV. So they might not have an option but to call all XUV owners with those alloys.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 17:35   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I guess there would be other challenges in this. Since this is an accessory, I doubt there would a proper record keeping of which serial number alloys are installed on which XUV. So they might not have an option but to call all XUV owners with those alloys.
I think 'recall' is not the appropriate word for this replacement. They are doing the inspection only for the concerned customers and not bothered about the ones who are not aware about it.

When I was called for inspection last month after raising the concern with customer care head, they just clicked few pictures of the alloys, had an external inspection and sent me back, without any further information.

When there was no communication from there end in a month I again sent a reminder mail to Mr. Sonjoy Gupta (Customer Care Head) it was then I received a call from my RM yesterday and he asked me to come today for an inspection.

He didnt mention anything about the replacement, just requested me to come once again for an inspection. Once I reached ASS he said me that the batch number of all the alloys will be checked and if it falls under the defective batch code which they have received they will replace the particular alloy wheel.
rahul_kej is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed