Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:35   #1
Team-BHP Support

Datsun Go to get safer - will get stronger body, airbags, ABS

Earlier, we had reported that Nissan was planning to make the Datsun Go hatchback safer by equipping it with airbags (click here to read report). However, due to a weak body structure, the inclusion of airbags was not likely to make any difference to the safety ratings of the car.

Now, Nissan has responded to Global NCAP's call to withdraw the Datsun Go from the market. Apart from adding airbags, the manufacturer is working on a stronger body shell for the car with the use of higher grade steel and reinforcements. The metal used in the car has now got a tensile level of 520 mega pascal - 200 mega pascal more than earlier. Side beams on both sides have been added to beef up the car's strength and rigidity. Nissan is also providing ABS on the Go.

With the safety of the car enhanced, Nissan will be hoping that the Go will perform better in crash tests. Reports suggest that the re-engineered Go is likely to be sent to Global NCAP for assessment. Datsun's third car, which will be based on the RediGo concept, will also be developed with stronger steel and better structural rigidity.

Source: Economic Times

Last edited by Aditya : 24th March 2015 at 09:45.
Aditya is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:55   #2
D4D
BHPian

Re: Datsun Go to get safer - will get stronger body, airbags, ABS

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 24th March 2015 at 13:23.
D4D is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:28   #3
MSC
BHPian

It is definitely a great news. Safety should always come first . profit margins can wait for later.
I am a doctor and guess what?
in emergency / casualty there are lot of people coming these days saying that they were surely saved by airbags and escaped with minor bruises even in a major accident.
if Datsun has upgraded its structure then the hatch 'go' should be sent for NCAP assessment and be relaunched after passing the test in flying colors.
way to go Datsun
MSC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:03   #4
BHPian

Good move, but they should stop selling the unsafe cars immediately, and resume only when the updated model is introduced.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:16   #5
BHPian

Call me skeptical, but I will reserve my champagne till this is done and the updated NCAP ratings are out.
As aptly put by coolio...see you when you get there.
antihero is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:48   #6
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Woweee! I heartily welcome this move by Datsun , even if they were basically forced to do this by the appalling manner in which their Go fared in the Global-NCAP test, and the subsequent pressure from all quarters.

I'm glad Nissan/Datsun chose this path, even if it was due to relentless pressure. Who knows, maybe the G-NCAP Chairman's letter to Japan's Prime Minister did have the desired effect? Mr. Abe was already worried by the international fallout caused by the gigantic Takata airbag safety issue and the effect it would have on Japan's massive manufacturing industry and on goods carrying the Made in Japan tag. Japan simply could not afford another automobile safety related issue grabbing global headlines and casting another dark shadow over their manufacturing prowess.

For all we know, it could even be the car buying public's cold response to the Datsun brand (instead of the Japanese PM) that has forced them to perform a course correction. I don't think the new Datsun cars are anywhere near as successful as Nissan would have liked. They've turned out to be bad flops in India, and I guess they aren't doing well in other markets either.

Anyway, I would classify this as the fourth successful strike for Global-NCAP in India, and the biggest one by far.

-> The first was Volkswagen deciding to make 2 airbags standard on the Polo & Vento (prompted by the Polo Trendline without airbags scoring a zero).

-> The second (a minor one) was Ford introducing a driver airbag on the ZXI variants of the Figo (again prompted by the Figo without airbags scoring a duck).

-> The third was an indirect one that can be attributed to G-NCAP - Toyota now offers two airbags as standard on the Liva, Etios and Innova.

-> And this is now the fourth strike by G-NCAP, and a huge one at that (for they have literally managed to force Datsun back to the drawing board to make their cars safer!)

I can only laugh at all the G-NCAP / NCAP haters out there, and the hilarious reasons they provided to justify the pathetic performance of some cars on this test.

Whether the haters like it or not, G-NCAP has had a huge effect in making Indian cars safer! If this is the outcome after G-NCAP crash tests of just 9 India-made cars, then imagine the effect if we had an independent I-NCAP in place for about half-a-dozen years! Still, it's better late than never.

God bless NCAP and all its affiliates!

Last edited by RSR : 23rd March 2015 at 23:08.
RSR is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 23:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The joke is that the Datsun Go still sold a few hundred units every month, even after the NCAP horror story unfolded.

Simply HORROR UNFOLDED

http://www.globalncap.org/global-nca...-of-datsun-go/

It shows that most Indian car buyers are ignorant and gullible to the sales propaganda. The better educated buyers must have kept a safe distance from this devil of a car. The NCAP had called for withdrawal of this car from the market on 14/11/2014. But Datsun was making merry with its sales eversince and sold the model during November, December 2014 and during January, February and March 2015. It has been advertsing the car on the media without a single word being mentioned about the NCAP findings. Shows that we really are fools to be misled by such hoax, by a company that sells a car model which can kill us and our near and dear ones in an instant.

Datsun should have immediately put a halt to its production and should have given exchange offers to all its existing customers of the Datsun Go, for a better and safe upgrade.

Neither are the authorities bothered to make crash test mandatory for all cars sold in the country with immediate effect, but are waiting for 2017 and 2018, so that such companies make more and more money.

We are not sure what upgrade with such features for a "safer, stronger car with airbags, ABS " will Datsun provide ?

The average buyer is satisfied with answers to "average kya hain" and "cost kya hain?" to zero upon a make and model. Peer and family member recommendation also plays a role in making the choice.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 08:20   #8
BHPian

Well done Nissan. This is encouraging to see action based on feedback they received from the NCAP results.

This gesture gets even more amplified when seen in complete contrast to Maruti's Chairman ridiculous and irresponsible statement.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tatements.html

Being largest car maker in the country, I would have expected them to lead rather than to defend their unsafe cars and ignore NCAP results.
nug1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 09:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Before we thank Nissan India for doing the 'right thing' etc, please keep in mind that it was ONLY because of Global NCAP that any change is being contemplated and made!

Refer: http://m.timesofindia.com/business/i...w/45058560.cms

Being a truly global safety oriented company, Nissan should have simply not launched the Go in its current form. Also casts our SIAM in a very poor light after they viciously attacked NCAP initially. And the less said about Suzuki India, the better.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 09:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

The revised sheet metal strength is same as that of Micra / Sunny, and with Airbag in place will it not hit the ceiling again as the price of Go would be in the region of base model of Micra. More so Go is not well loaded in terms of features and thus it would be just a brand difference once the updated Go is made available for sales.

I am not sure how the Indian buyers will look at it, may be this could result in sales pick up of Micra (provided Nissan considers a simultaneous facelift for Micra too). I remember how overpriced Jazz made i20 look VFM immediately and revised its sales, similarly the redone Go may trigger sales for Micra - who knows !

But safety considerations are definitely a welcome move and should be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 24th March 2015, 09:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Before we thank Nissan India for doing the 'right thing' etc, please keep in mind that it was ONLY because of Global NCAP that any change is being contemplated and made!
I don't quite understand this. When an irresponsible manufacturer makes a statement like this, we scream our lungs out about it.

Here, when the manufacturer has accepted the mistake and trying to get responsible, why not applaud and encourage them instead of nitpicking that they are doing it because they are being forced to. After all, even Nissan could have gone the RC Bhargava way and come up with illogical statements. Instead, they are doing something about it!
Added_flavor is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 11:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
After all, even Nissan could have gone the RC Bhargava way and come up with illogical statements. Instead, they are doing something about it!
Though I would agree with the above statement, but as per existing Indian rules, there is nothing that stops them from selling an Euro NCAP test failed car in India and they could have continued selling.
But I think that Nissan has realised that the strategy of continuing to sell the same product would not have cut the ice for them in terms of sales numbers because of competition (and not safety concerns).
Hence this was a marketing decision, triggered by NCAP test results, that if they are to compete with Maruti (as is evident from their TV ads), then the product differentiator has to be something else which Maruti does not have. If their safety concern was genuine, they would have immediately stopped selling the current model.

Last edited by anuragn : 24th March 2015 at 11:49.
Old 24th March 2015, 12:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Though I would agree with the above statement, but as per existing Indian rules, there is nothing that stops them from selling an Euro NCAP test failed car in India and they could have continued selling.
As an end customer, if I am given an option of choosing between ethics and safety, I would choose the latter with my eyes closed. That's my point.
Old 24th March 2015, 13:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Kudos to Nissan. A manufacturer moving towards better safety after VW and Toyota.

BTW, are these features going to optional?

If compulsory, how much extra is the car going to cost to the consumer?

The manufacturers are taking steps, the Government can accelerate implementation of Bharath New Vehicle Safety Program.

Better voluntarily done, than being forced by laws.
I always feel that the rise in costs has to irrelevant. Safety has to be made compulsory. When all the manufacturers are made to do the same thing, it doesnt really affect competition, albeit its at the same level.

There was an article a few years ago in OVERDRIVE, i think it was the editors note by Shirish Chandran, about airbags to be made compulsory on all cars. He figured that if such a law was passed two front airbags can be provided at a cost of only 5k, by manufacturers.

5k is a pittance of an amount when one is buying a car. We end up paying more than to do shine up at say 3M. Then why does one have to crib about it when paying for safety, maybe its because we havent used it yet.

The simple fact is apart from a few lot such as us, people do not know what car safety is. People dont know the benefits of it, and it is impossible to educate each and eveyone one of us. The government knows the facts, 182000 deaths a year on Indian roads, a lot of which can be avoided. This is nothing but mere roadkill.

I dont drive on the highways that often, but i dont remember a time when i havent seen a definite fatal accident on the way. Its only when we see a person lying on the road, and only if we ask ourself how could have this been avoided, can there be an answer.

@SDP thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ol-person.html does make us think about it.

The thing is if manufactures are given an option they will come up with substandard product. The Nissan GO is a classic example of this. The car looks good. Any first time car buyer will be bowled over by its look and the space it provides. No one in the segment offeres so much, how do they do it, substandard safety. (even though there is no standard).

We cannot always rely on the manufactures to do the right thing. Mr Bharghava statements prove that. Laws have be made. Standards have to be defined. Only then can be have something on the table, because we dont have anything till date anyways. And come-on this is 2015, the world has progressed a lot. The UK govenment has even said they are gonna make AEB compulsory on all cars, we dont even have ABS till date.

Coming to costs, if people cant afford to pay a small amount of money for safety equipments in their car, which simply means that they cant afford that one. Better look for one at the lower segment and not to buy a base model at a higher segment without safety. And if there is no lower segment, wait for somemore time or buy a used car with the safety features.
frewper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 16:45   #15
BHPian

Looks like Datsun entered the party with wrong clothes and want to go back home for a change!!

Opportunity lost is lost and in a market such as ours, perception drives everything and its really hard for anyone to make a strong back, very rarely has anyone attempted for it and has succeeded.

Reaction time matters. Look what VW did to its Polo range, right after the NCAP results, to control further damage to its brand, equipped the Polo with airbags across all variants and proved a point to the general public that it does care (keeping all those service related issues aside..), if not for the individual buying a Polo but atleast for company's image (had taken a lot of beating initially on corruption charges already..).
vinair is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed