Team-BHP > Road Safety

View Poll Results: What action will encourage / induce / force people to follow traffic rules?
New laws, enforcement, police presence, traffic cameras and heavier fines 202 75.09%
Public activism 56 20.82%
Better driver training before as well as after issuing licenses 148 55.02%
Spreading the message of how to drive safe through newspaper ads / other media 38 14.13%
Nothing can help - people will carry on like this indefinitely 26 9.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2015, 17:37   #61
BHPian

Re: Following traffic rules: What action will encourage / induce / force people to do it?

Teach people about safe driving and its benefits . Most importantly, show them what happens when people violate even the simple rules/advises through sample/real videos.

And if some one violates, impound the vehicle and levy heavy fines. And the vehicle must be returned only if the person proves he deserves a second chance. If a membership to a forum can be controlled(and trust me, this forum is reliable and good only because of people's discipline - imposed and self) , ownership of a vehicle can be controlled too.
ANewExperience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 19:09   #62
BHPian

Re: Following traffic rules: What action will encourage / induce / force people to do it?

Considering we Indians live in a stratifies and hierarchical society, maybe 'shame' is the best way to effect any change. Saw this on twitter:https://twitter.com/JitendraJain_/st...96752110592001

Not sure if everyone can open the link on twitter, but the photo shows police in Gurgaon sticking a bright yellow 'I am Uncivilized' sticker on the cars violating the rules.
braindead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 19:31   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Saw this on twitter:https://twitter.com/JitendraJain_/st...96752110592001

Not sure if everyone can open the link on twitter, but the photo shows police in Gurgaon sticking a bright yellow 'I am Uncivilized' sticker on the cars violating the rules.
This is certainly amazing! Thanks for sharing. I hope this is in addition to the usual traffic penalty that errant motorists have to pay. And the stickers should not be too easy to peel off.

Posting a screenshot of the tweet for easier reference.

Following traffic rules: What action will encourage / induce / force people to do it?-capture.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 20:06   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Considering we Indians live in a stratifies and hierarchical society, maybe 'shame' is the best way to effect any change.
Unique experiment! Cheers to the guy who cooked this up. Can't help but acknowledge the funny side of it as well - It's like stating the obvious.

How many Ace and Bolero drivers will be deterred by the fear of this sticker?

IMO They should also add a community service rider to the challans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
And the stickers should not be too easy to peel off.
It can't be too difficult to paste something over it.
Old 16th April 2015, 20:39   #65
BHPian

Should have been more specific. The observer would never know the true reasons!!!
Old 16th April 2015, 20:59   #66
Senior - BHPian

The pasting the sticker thing is ridiculous. Violating traffic laws does not give the right to traffic police to vandalize the offending vehicle. It is the driver who is to be punished, not the vehicle.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 21:20   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The pasting the sticker thing is ridiculous. Violating traffic laws does not give the right to traffic police to vandalize the offending vehicle. It is the driver who is to be punished, not the vehicle.
By the same logic wrongly parked vehicles cannot be clamped or towed. Fleeing offenders' vehicles cannot be PIT-stopped or punctured with spike strips.
Old 16th April 2015, 21:38   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the same logic wrongly parked vehicles cannot be clamped or towed. Fleeing offenders' vehicles cannot be PIT-stopped or punctured with spike strips.
It is not the same logic. The above two actions stop a violation in progress. Once the violation has been stopped, no more damage is done to the vehicle. This putting a sticker thing is like when young Amitabh Bachhan gets tattooed "Mera baap chor hai" in Deewar.
Old 16th April 2015, 21:51   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is not the same logic. The above two actions stop a violation in progress. Once the violation has been stopped, no more damage is done to the vehicle. This putting a sticker thing is like when young Amitabh Bachhan gets tattooed "Mera baap chor hai" in Deewar.
Stickers and tattoos are not the same thing either. No one is recommending that cops use paint spray cans to write that (as activists and pranksters do elsewhere, such as this):
Old 16th April 2015, 22:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stickers and tattoos are not the same thing either.
That's why I said "like". Not "is"
Anyway, there is no end to splitting hairs. Otherwise next would be, "Oh that was movie. This is real life"

I just feel that cops have no right to put stickers on cars like this. There are very clear guidelines on what fines correspond to what crimes for traffic cops. I doubt "public shaming" or sticker-ing are among them.

EDIT: This is a quote from a book I am currently reading:
Quote:
The law may upset reason but reason may never upset the law, or our whole society will shred like an old tatami. The law may be used to confound reason, reason must certainly not be used to overthrow the law.
James Clavell, Shogun

Last edited by amitoj : 16th April 2015 at 22:49.
Old 16th April 2015, 22:51   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just feel that cops have no right to put stickers on cars like this. There are very clear guidelines on what fines correspond to what crimes for traffic cops. I doubt "public shaming" or sticker-ing are among them.
We are not discussing legalities / rights / niceties / guidelines etc. on this thread. The traffic law-breaking habit of our motorists certainly IS out of control. What we want to find out is: What action will encourage / induce / force people to comply with traffic rules? If it takes some harmless activism by traffic cops, or even other road users in general, so be it. I am sure the Traffic Police personnel in all cities are an acutely frustrated lot, and I for one would whole-heartedly support such a move.

If one would care to notice, since my last summary at 114 votes, where
Quote:
Only 15% of people think that public activism will help rein in the unruly traffic on our roads.
the percentage of people supporting public activism as a means to rein in unruly traffic has climbed to over 20% (of 214 votes), which is impressive. If traffic cops also behave as public activists without causing any irreversible physical harm to persons or property, I would offer them a big for their efforts. Armchair critics of such action can ALSO reap the benefits of better traffic behaviour arising out of any such measure.

Edit: ^^^ Not a book by an Indian author, if one would note. And we have our desi rules of behaviour that would confound Spock even in his grave.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 16th April 2015 at 22:59.
Old 16th April 2015, 23:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If traffic cops also behave as public activists without causing any irreversible physical harm to persons or property, I would offer them a big for their efforts. Armchair critics of such action can ALSO reap the benefits of better traffic behaviour arising out of any such measure.

Edit: ^^^ Not a book by an Indian author, if one would note. And we have our desi rules of behaviour that would confound Spock even in his grave.
Is there any evidence that such activity is leading to better traffic discipline? You are hoping for it because you want to vent out your frustration.

Today it is "harmless activism" but once the enforcers of the law start operating beyond it's boundaries, it is a slippery slope that any intelligent species would want to avoid.

Was this thread started to gather public opinion or to shove a personal opinion down the throat of those who disagree by getting some numbers behind it?

I believe that vandalizing private property like this should not be condoned. As Neitzsche said, "Whoever fights the monsters, should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster." But anyway, he was German so what do we care
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 23:34   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any evidence that such activity is leading to better traffic discipline? You are hoping for it because you want to vent out your frustration.
No personal attacks or accusations, amitoj, and I would like to keep it that way. My frustrations are mine alone, as much as yours remain your own.

Indian citizens in general and Team-BHPians in particular are mature enough to form their own opinions, without me, you or anyone else trying to impose their personal opinions on them.

Sylvia Plath is eminently readable, more so than Neitzsche.
Old 17th April 2015, 00:17   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No personal attacks or accusations, amitoj, and I would like to keep it that way.

I agree. So let us not label dissidents as armchair critics either.
Old 27th April 2015, 11:52   #75
BHPian

The situation in UP is even worse.
Everyday I drive to work from Ghaziabad to Delhi and happen to cross the borders at Kalindi Kunj.
In the morning its the school vans / busses and their drivers endangering the lives of hundreds of school going children and other drivers and in the evening its the two / three wheelers who drive in the wrong / opposite direction onto the Maha Maya Flyover all the way on the wrong side till Kalindi Kunj.
The UP police simply ignores this whole event.

Enter UP and you will see the change in driving techniques. The roads are filled with every mode of transportation driving as per their will, stopping as per their conveniece.

Its a pain to see educated people also violate traffic rules.

I'll narrate one incidence - Near Noida Golf Course there's a small roundabout with a traffic signal. This one lady driving a Verna stopped at the signal i.e from Noida City centre to Golf Course direction. While I was 5-6 cars behind the lady, I could hear the horns being plonked at her for standing at the signal when its RED.

People trying to rush and head out in the minutest gap.

Almost leading me parallel to her. I too stopped beside her and rolled down my window and waved her good luck for being a responsible citizen.
I just wished more people get responsible and stop endangering the lives of others on the street.

If US Citizens have their hands on weapons, we in India are no different - Our erratic driving techniques that endanger others lives is equally dangerous and at par

Its a matter of few seconds people dont want to wait, yet when they meet with an accident they willingly / unwillingly have to wait for hours.

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th April 2015 at 22:19. Reason: please avoid using SMS langauge...Thanks!
FIAT3031 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed