Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2015, 12:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

Car makers want dedicated frequencies for radar-based technologies

Automobile manufacturers like Mercedes-Benz are unable to introduce radar-based technologies such as adaptive cruise control, collision prevention assist, lane change assist and distronic plus, among others in India as there are restrictions on frequency bands. In order to be able to offer these systems in the country, the companies have asked the government to allot dedicated frequencies and align the national frequency plan with global norms.

About 1.4 lakh lives are lost in India every year due to road accidents. Companies claim that radar-based technologies help in enhancing road safety as they having the potential to prevent road accidents.

Even Maruti Suzuki had asked the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) to delicence a specific band so that it could test an Autonomous Emergency Braking System, which it plans to offer on a new model meant for export markets. The DoT has granted it an experimental licence for three months. This licence will require frequent renewal. The company is seeking a long-term licence, which it claims is necessary if this feature is to be introduced in India.

Apart from making current cars safer, dedicated frequencies are also expected to help develop driverless cars. However, before investing in expensive technologies, manufacturers would like the government to allot specific spectrum to enable an ecosystem for manufacture, import, testing and use of radar-based automotive applications in India.

Source: ET Auto
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 13:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Car makers want dedicated frequencies for radar-based technologies

Good to see automobile manufacturers demanding something from Government regarding safety rather than tax breaks

While the demand itself is justified, I think they are thinking way too ahead. We need to have mandatory airbags, ESP, etc before we start getting radar guided features. The utility of features will be anyway limited apart from some well laid expressways.

I cannot imagine anyone using lane change assist or even collision prevention system in city traffic. The system will start maintaining safe distance as per computer but may provide enough space for a dozen of two wheelers and autorikshaws to get their nose in between, thus adding to the frustration of the driver.

And driverless cars? Really? Let the technology first prove itself in real life situation in the West before we even think about it in India.
vivekz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 16:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
I cannot imagine anyone using lane change assist or even collision prevention system in city traffic. The system will start maintaining safe distance as per computer but may provide enough space for a dozen of two wheelers and autorikshaws to get their nose in between, thus adding to the frustration of the driver.
Technologies are far more agile and adaptive than what we think they are, it can well be made suitable for Indian traffic conditions and driving habits. Many of the service providers to us right from the maids at our home may not have used computers in their lives, but are happily using smartphone for several purposes beyond making and receiving phone calls. Younger kids who cannot read words and sentences are still able to make phone calls, because they know icons to open the apps and can link faces to make calls.

Please note that a radar based brake actuation (which is the simplest use of such technology wherein ECU overrides the throttle input given by driver followed by application of brakes) is cheaper than providing air-bags or other secondary devices. Maruti is a large / volume player and they have many products ready with there Japanese principals the moment it is rolled out by the Indian Government.

Cheers

Last edited by i74js : 17th April 2015 at 16:33.
i74js is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 22:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

About time, I hope it goes through. I'd love to see magic ride control, adaptive cruise control and collision preventing systems.

I think its silly we missed out on these all these years, and hopefully the Government will open up these spectrums.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 22:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

There were reports that the Minister of Transport, GoI, was in favor of permitting dedicated frequencies to auto manufacturers, so that it will open up options for a host of driver assists.
Link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ay-lifted.html
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 23:11   #6
BHPian

Its really high time now that we Indians also get to enjoy these features which our cousins in US UK enjoy and boast of. I really don't understand why features like Parking Assist etc are left out.
Old 18th April 2015, 15:27   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
We need to have mandatory airbags, ESP, etc before we start getting radar guided features.
You are talking of two different, unrelated matters, pal.

Radar-based technology will debut on cars like the S-Class...the upper echelon of automobiles. Airbags, ESP etc. are already standard on these cars.

Your post refers to the mass market where airbags, ESP etc. need to be made mandatory. For sure, they will one day, but that doesn't mean the S-Class has to wait to offer its cutting-edge technology in India. There's simply no connection between a Honda City with compulsory ESP & an S-Class' optional magic ride control.

Lastly, don't forget that advanced safety tech first appears on high-end automobiles, before filtering down to cheaper cars. Let the big boys innovate, we shouldn't restrict it.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 16:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to this thread I've been reading about Magic Body Control and adaptive cruise control (not that these are going to be in the cars I will use in the near future to put it mildly); they sound just fantastic. I hope the car makers lobby sufficiently to get the Govt's nod to be able to offer these cutting edge technologies here.
Old 21st April 2015, 12:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Thanks to this thread I've been reading about Magic Body Control and adaptive cruise control (not that these are going to be in the cars I will use in the near future to put it mildly); they sound just fantastic. I hope the car makers lobby sufficiently to get the Govt's nod to be able to offer these cutting edge technologies here.
Mercedes has found a work around for the Magic Body Control, the updated system does not require a radar. A Bhpian confirmed this in another thread.

Hope Mercedes soon offers this on the CKD S-class. However, my hunch is they will wait strategically wait for the new 7 series to launch to add additional features to the S.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks