Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2015, 10:18   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kubotan: The $5 safety device that can break a car window & help you escape a fire

Here's one way to use your headrest for the job:

(Animated image below)
Name:  DieRHx.gif
Views: 4774
Size:  1.31 MB

Full video : http://bit.ly/1QVOpeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
With the pen,I feel glass is coming too close to your hands for comfort. Jabbing at glass can be nerve wracking to many.
One of the advantages of toughened glass is that it breaks into these small pieces, which are a lot less dangerous (in terms of cutting you) than a large sheet or splinter of glass. Though of course, it can still cut you!

Kubotan: The  safety device that can break a car window & help you escape a fire-brokenglass440.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
I carry an ice pick. It's actually from a screwdriver set. Is there a reason to carry a kubotan instead of an ice pick? I'm a noob and curious....
I think the mass of the item you use will also play a part in the force that's imparted on the glass. A specifically designed tool would have the advantage here.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th May 2015 at 10:21.
Rehaan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 11:03   #17
BHPian

Re: Kubotan: The $5 safety device that can break a car window & help you escape a fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

Yes, I know the SAK has a knife. But a dedicated knife has it's uses. My favorite pocket carry is the Spyderco UKPK.
First Aid Kit.

Awesome post Tassem, I cannot thank you enough for such a post.

You skipped on the First Aid Kit part - I keep the usual ones provided along and some medicines that I feel necessary. If you could elaborate it would be great.

Also, if you could post links to all of the necessary tools and where to buy them (I can search, but not sure if I get the same). I intend to have everything that you've included.

Safety is something I simply cannot skip, specially when you are travelling with your family.

Another question: Is it advisable/legal to carry the knife that you mentioned? Can be used a weapon.

Thanks again.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2015 at 13:22. Reason: Typos
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th May 2015, 11:52   #18
BHPian

I have a ResQme bought from Amazon. It is very small, combines a window breaker and a seatbelt cutter.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
archat68 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 13:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have Motocop's Emergency Rescue Device, I think this is much better to have as its got everything built in one device.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 14:06   #20
BHPian

Very Well Drafted post Tassem! Thanks for sharing the info.

You are doing a great job spreading awareness on Safety and Emergency Evacuation Procedures!
vincyf1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 14:51   #21
BHPian

In the context of current events, very useful read. Thanks Tassem.

Looking forward for the First Aid Kit thread.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 15:39   #22
BHPian

Nice thread Tassem!
I am also in EDC's.
Will soon post pictures of the items that are there in my daily EDC kit.
It is good that we have started a thread of EDC.
embee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 20:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post

You skipped on the First Aid Kit part
My next post will detail on how to build a compact, but very useful First Aid kit. Thanks for reading. Glad that people are finding this interesting.

Quote:
Is it advisable/legal to carry the knife that you mentioned? Can be used a weapon.
AFAIK, as per the Arms Act 1959, you can legally carry a knife with blade smaller than 9" and 2" width. That's a bloody sword! The UKPK that I usually EDC has a 2.75" blade. And it does not lock. I'm not sure if the Indian laws specify locking, but safe none the less.

It is illegal to carry a switchblade. I'm not sure of assisted knifes.

As always, the best tip I can give is not to brandish the knife anywhere. Period. Nobody will care if you whip out a knife and cut a shawarma or grilled chicken (I do this ALL the time). Or if you pull it out to open a package. I'm sure you get the drift.

As soon as I can, I will post links to buy these items. But eBay is a great place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Looking forward for the First Aid Kit thread.
The next post will be First Aid boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincyf1 View Post
You are doing a great job spreading awareness on Safety and Emergency Evacuation Procedures!
Thanks Vincy! The thing about putting this up on Tbhp is that we are a bunch who love to share. So this is going to reach out to a lot of people. I don't think it's fair someone should die a fiery death because he/she didn't know how easy it is get out of a car if you put your mind to it. We'll never know for sure if it will work, but if it saves one life, it's worth the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have Motocop's Emergency Rescue Device, I think this is much better to have as its got everything built in one device.
That's a neat piece of kit right there. But, at the risk of sounding like a luddite, I would urge everyone to keep it simple. Our minds work differently when under stress or pumped full of adrenaline. I would rely on something that doesn't require much thought to operate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I have a ResQme
These are nice! I've given away quite a few as gifts. Especially the orange one. But the one thing that worries me is that if you fail to break the glass the first time around, you may not have the time to reset the tool and try again.

Add that to the fact that you will be extremely stressed, scared, in pain etc. and you have a recipe for disaster.

Hence my logic, keep it simple. I know I'm stupid, but why risk it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Nice thread Tassem!
I am also in EDC's.
Will soon post pictures of the items that are there in my daily EDC kit.
It is good that we have started a thread of EDC.
Happy to meet a fellow EDC nut! Are you active over at everydaycarry.com? Check it out, you will love it.

This is me there.

Last edited by Tassem : 18th May 2015 at 20:53.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 04:49   #24
BHPian

Has anybody thought of installing a manual override of Central Locking?
I have a feeling that it is certainly possible. I will remove my to be bought car's door pad and study how things work inside. If possible, I think we can attach the lock to a string of which the other end can be passed to inside the car, where lock handle is present.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 08:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Another simple method which can be used to break glass is the car security steering/clutch pedal lock. You get these for around 200-300 bucks and are of heavy duty build. Not only do they serve the purpose of anti-theft deterrent but also double up as a hammer which can be used to smash the windows etc in case of emergency.

While all these tools are nice to have, I must say that presence of mind and not panicking are the most important survivor skills that one should have in such situations.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 09:31   #26
BHPian

Absolutely brilliant post!
and yes indeed I too cant stand Mr. Robert Pattinson as Indiana jones

I will be picking few things from your kitty like the keychain with the bare essentials and Kuboton (a must for all my cars).

Just curious, how will your 10ft rope on your wrist will help, I mean its use.
and also from where to buy it, as it looks cool nevertheless
dhall_gagan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 09:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Taseem,

Thank you for this informative and insightful thread.

Thanks to this thread, I think I found the purpose of one side of a hammer I have in my tool kit in the car. Could you confirm from the picture if it is the same as the kubotan?

It does not have a pointed end, hence my doubt.
Attached Thumbnails
Kubotan: The  safety device that can break a car window & help you escape a fire-img_20150519_0935232.jpg  

tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 10:09   #28
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the post. As soon as I read it, I ordered two of these from the same seller. Also planning to buy one pair of heavy duty scissors - similar to what tailors use. This should help in cutting the seat belt and also to break glass in case of emergencies.

I plan to keep one of them in the door pocket on driver side and the other one in the storage box under the central arm rest. As I drive a Verna, I do not have door pockets on the back doors. But atleast the arm rest area will be accessible for everyone, I hope - in case of any emergency.
Naetik30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 13:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
That's a neat piece of kit right there. But, at the risk of sounding like a luddite, I would urge everyone to keep it simple. Our minds work differently when under stress or pumped full of adrenaline. I would rely on something that doesn't require much thought to operate.
With all due respect, its better to have a seat belt cutter and window smasher in one unit rather than have 2. Not to mention that small items have a far greater probability of getting moved or misplaced in the time of need.

The device I shared would spare any unnecessary questions (if at all a situation arises) such as why am I carrying a swiss knife or any other knife. Not to mention, the device has a far sharper knife neatly tucked in the grab handle so that one doesn't accidentally cut their hand/finger.

I almost forgot, it has a flash light also.

I don't know how many would agree but a device like Motocop's is far better to have than carrying swiss knives, kubotans and what not.

I mean imagine, "Honey get me the swiss knife from the glove box!!", "Great, now give me the kubotan", "Pass me the air freshner now, this smoke is killing the ambience"
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 13:13   #30
BANNED

Thanks for this informative thread Tassem. I really liked the simplicity of Kubotan. And this also reminded me, of my swiss knife which is languishing in my almirah. It should go to the car instead.

I have a Gear lock - rod type. Though it is pointed, but not as sharp as the kubotan. I believe it can be used to break glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
I plan to keep one of them in the door pocket on driver side and the other one in the storage box under the central arm rest..
Consider using 3m double sided tape, to keep it held in place if you keep it in door pocket.

I saw a video on youtube, which demonstrated that if the car turns turtle (or overturns and lands on its side), you might not be able to retrieve an item placed in your glove box since the seatbelt would be holding you in place, restricting your movement. Items placed in doorpockets would be thrown around and might fall out of your reach.

Hence the most easy to reach place is the steering column -> the ignition key and thus a safety device attached to your keychain.
sinhead is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed