Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 17:43   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Full time AWD would have been better but cannot over rule aquaplaning if all wheels are floating.

That said please go through the thread about 4 wheel drive and how it is done.

AFAIK XUV has on demand AWD system that senses relative wheel spin to engage AWD.

Last edited by sudev : 11th August 2015 at 17:45.
Old 11th August 2015, 21:54   #107
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 W8: Severe topple, but Side Airbags didn't deploy!

The accident of group of Doctors @ Pimpalgaon (B) near Nashik couple of months back and this incident casts a shadow on the basic safety features of XUV. Just shape and heavy mass makes little difference. time for serious drawing board changes to adhere to some basic safety norms needed than mere chase sales numbers or tinker with a platform, cut and slice and launch new versions replacing a (X)UV with (T)UV
Fabiaous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 22:23   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
The accident of group of Doctors @ Pimpalgaon (B) near Nashik couple of months back and this incident casts a shadow on the basic safety features of XUV. Just shape and heavy mass makes little difference. time for serious drawing board changes to adhere to some basic safety norms needed than mere chase sales numbers or tinker with a platform, cut and slice and launch new versions replacing a (X)UV with (T)UV

Any further elaboration of the above incident or link to the details of the same will be much appreciated. IMHO In this case particularly it's not only the safety features of the car in contention but also many other external factors which could have affected the outcome of the incident.
Old 12th August 2015, 00:09   #109
BHPian

With whatever little knowledge I have about car mechanics, it seems to me that one of the wheel bearings had gone bad and had restricted movement. Due to this restricted movement the specific tyre also worn out much faster than the other tyres. This should have been observed during visits to the ASC. If this is true, could this have also played a role in some kind of safety electronics malfunctioning?

Last edited by iron.head : 12th August 2015 at 00:12.
Old 12th August 2015, 07:00   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

iron.head that's what is perplexing that any such restriction on wheel movement would have become apparent to driver. But he is not reporting or saying anything like this. So this is not the cause of wear. Or for that matter tyre wear could not have happened so fast. So how do we have a bald tyre?
Old 12th August 2015, 19:13   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
iron.head that's what is perplexing that any such restriction on wheel movement would have become apparent to driver. But he is not reporting or saying anything like this. So this is not the cause of wear. Or for that matter tyre wear could not have happened so fast. So how do we have a bald tyre?
Unless that bald tyre was the spare kept back from the previous set while changing to new tyres. I read on the forum many buy only 4 new tyres and keep the spare tyre from the earlier set. In that case owner should be knowing when the spare wheel was put on, is it due to a puncture or something else? Did he know he is running on a bald/old spare wheel in the left rear?
Old 12th August 2015, 19:49   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Any further elaboration of the above incident or link to the details of the same will be much appreciated. IMHO In this case particularly it's not only the safety features of the car in contention but also many other external factors which could have affected the outcome of the incident.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report...cident-2087002

This is the link to the case. I don't know though what is the implication of this case here unless it is being implied that the brakes were applied but they did not work. The report does not mention any such thing though.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 22:38   #113
BHPian

Thanks for the link, did go through the article which is pretty much speculation/ initial report because it wasn't even determined till then what the xuv crashed into and if/did brakes fail. Having said that it's shocking if the airbags didn't deploy. Just having a long equipment list isn't enough. There should be a random testing to confirm whether the equipment is operational at all times.
Old 12th August 2015, 22:58   #114
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Friends,
Was planning to change my trusted 4wd 2009 Fortuner done 80000 kms with XUV - W10.
After running thru this thread and many articles in FB and other media I'm planning to drop the change. Will retain Toyota Fortuner. Hope I am right.
Rajith

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 14th August 2015 at 12:41. Reason: Use of acronyms
Old 12th August 2015, 23:09   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Friends,
Was planning to change my trusted 4wd 2009 Fortuner done 80000kms with XUV - W10.
After running thru this thread and many articles in FB and other media I'm planning to drop the change.Will retain Tfort.Hope Iam right.
Rajith

Maybe this helps
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3774357
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 01:27   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report...cident-2087002

This is the link to the case. I don't know though what is the implication of this case here unless it is being implied that the brakes were applied but they did not work. The report does not mention any such thing though.
Very horrifying and shocking accident indeed. The pics of the accident car indicates no airbag inflation. Can anybody update about this case?
Old 13th August 2015, 10:20   #117
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Very horrifying and shocking accident indeed. The pics of the accident car indicates no airbag inflation. Can anybody update about this case?
Check this out please

http://m.newshunt.com/india/english-...ge-ncat-mumbai
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 12:03   #118
Senior - BHPian

Horrific accident indeed. But the main thing we are forgetting is the other vehicle involved in crash. Primarily such accidents should not happen at all. The MV act should be very stringently implemented. Busted tail light ? 10k fine and license banned for 6 months. Overloading? 20k fine. Proper roads and and a little bit of sense from other users can definitely avoid such accidents.
Old 13th August 2015, 15:32   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Incidents like these further reaffirm my belief in buying only NCAP certified Europeans than desi tin cans
Perfectly said. They are "Tin cans" only. Recently I was shocked the see the thickness of metal fender on a Indian car which was easily bent with the twist of the hand. .

No wonder the NCAP has its importance here, what I actually wonder is why at all the cars are cleared for sale when they aren't that safe. Saving money in production of cars to have better sales numbers is not acceptable. Infact, people should be more concerned with safety in the cars than just to buy a car for the sake of having a 4 wheeler. Probably its high time people in India should start considering the cars with better safety standards and value their life more than the $$$ they are putting into the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
I'm not convinced too with the reason given by Mahindra. Aquaplaning could have been the reason for the spin to start. However, once the car hits the tree sideways (or) rolls, there will be "considerable side impact" that should be enough to trigger the airbags. While I commend Mahindra to respond to customer inputs and send out a reply, I feel that they are not being too honest with their response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Will be interesting to have views from experts on this , I am not very convinced on side curtains not being deployed in this case , is it possible that Mahindra has wired / programmed side bags to work in conjunction with front bags depending on severity / position of hit ? can someone confirm having seen any Mahindra vehicle with only side airbags deployed in case of side impact ?
Despite so much of impact on the sides of the car, ideally it should have deployed the airbags. I somehow feel Mahindra is trying to coverup the non deployment of the air bags. If the sides of the car had no impact at all, then they "may" be justified to an extent, but in this case, "No way".

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
From the discussions what i understood is that the tyres were used for 8000 kms , The FRONT Tyres; and the rear tyres were wornout. Was that the major reason for this unfortunate accident ?

"when you replace only 2 tyres, the new pair should be in the back." The second url shows a video demonstration this.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...unked-10031440

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTiresRear.do
Ideally when you are changing tyres, it advisable to change all four in the interest of safety and better road grip. Why take chances with the lives of people just to save few $$$$. Unevenly worn out tyres are always a risk in one way or another.
Old 13th August 2015, 16:42   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
The pics of the accident car indicates no airbag inflation. Can anybody update about this case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
As SDP's link shows, the Airbags did deploy in this particular case. Although in this case the vehicle looks like it went under the truck or rather a big trailer and hence it is actually good that the airbags deployed as sometimes the sensors don't get the trigger in such cases.

Quote:
The accident of group of Doctors @ Pimpalgaon (B) near Nashik couple of months back and this incident casts a shadow on the basic safety features of XUV.
I am still not sure why you suddenly dragged this case here. I do not see how a group of people (most possibly sleep deprived as well) driving late in the night and going under a truck from its rear connects to this case! care to explain?
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed