Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2015, 13:23   #16
kat
BHPian

Nice verdict. So, "safer" cars like Datsun Go are allowed to sell, but not the Jazz. I don't understand.
kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 13:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: Assam bans sale & registration of Alto, Swift, i10, Eon, Jazz

I fail to see the objection of so many of you here. Leave the cars out of this for a while. There are many other cases where this country has had a regulation and people used those as loopholes to suggest that they were within the law to carry on with their business. However courts have stepped in to pass restraint orders till the situation is rectified when they felt the larger public interest gets served in doing so.

Similarly ARAI and other establishments may have some norms in place which are as per the existing rules and regulations. However, if the courts felt that the missing safety features meant that the damages can be severe in hilly areas (say missing ABS can cause skid and fall down a gorge during the rains) and that has been substantiated with data then they are perfectly right in restraining the sale of such vehicles in the hills. Remember, a high court has the power to even suggest a blanket ban in sale of such vehicles across India. But they have qualified their order with "not safe for sale in the hills".

It now forces the hands of the manufacturers as well as the GOI to figure a way out of the impasse.
Zappo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 13:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Interesting though. Who initiated this now? Is he/she related to the sunfilm-wala?

And any idea which models are actually banned? For eg. Alto comes in many avatar 800, 1.1 now ( even a Onam Special one!)
Old 20th August 2015, 14:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Jazz? It is being sold in so many countries including US, UK, etc. Safe there but unsafe here?
Old 20th August 2015, 14:06   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not the Omni, Eco, and those people carriers from Tata? Are these safe for the hills? Anyways now that MSILs bread earners are being rattled, lets see where this leads to. Curious about the same!
Old 20th August 2015, 14:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Nice verdict. So, "safer" cars like Datsun Go are allowed to sell, but not the Jazz. I don't understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Interesting though. Who initiated this now? Is he/she related to the sunfilm-wala?

And any idea which models are actually banned? For eg. Alto comes in many avatar 800, 1.1 now ( even a Onam Special one!)
Here is the link to the actual verdict. http://ghconline.gov.in/General/Noti...26-06-2015.pdf

No particular vehicle is mentioned but it's for any small passenger vehicle (less than 1500kg as per current norms) which doesn't meet the safety norms. The court order directs the Central Govt to not permit auto manufactures to release any vehicle without putting them thru crash tests and emission tests. There was no mention of any particular vehicle make. I guess the names were later added by our media with a few known names thrown in.
kaushik_s is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 14:27   #22
Team-BHP Support

I feel its a positive move, hope the manufacturers also takes notice and start selling vehicles with all the safety equipment's in place. They should not provide step motherly treatment to the Indian consumer, if the same vehicles in different spec and trim can clear these tests, why can't we also have them?
Old 20th August 2015, 14:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Where legislature sleeps, judiciary has to step in.
Our Government kept sleeping for years under pressure from Auto Manufacturer lobby.
The "good responsible guys" in public also have to share the blame.
Has vehicle safety as an issue ever been highlighted by them in the media or in front of the elected folks?
I have never seen anyone staging a dharna for this cause.
Neither have I seen any kind of mass messaging/canvassing for it.
Old 20th August 2015, 14:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

This is a Assam High court order, but since it directs the Central government not to permit Auto manufacturers from selling cars below 1500 kg. Means - this is applicable for the whole country, not only for Assam. Or am I wrong?
Old 20th August 2015, 14:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Are these safe for the hills?
Unlike the other northeastern states, Assam isn't all that hilly.

For someone who belongs to this part of the country, it is quite painful to come across news reports about deaths on the highways almost on daily basis. The number of deaths resulting from road accidents is alarmingly high, compared to the rest of the country. This ban, on the face of it, seems to be a result of this high mortality rate owning to road accidents. Most cars being unsafe is only a part of the problem. The present road conditions (especially after/during the monsoons), poorly lit highways, cattle let loose on the highways are other factors that contribute to this high rate of mortality on the roads. To put the blame squarely on the cars, ignoring the other factors, isn't much of a solution IMHO.

P.S: The Jazz probably shouldn't have been part of that list

Last edited by riturajsharma19 : 20th August 2015 at 14:42.
riturajsharma19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 14:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Excellent move, finally one state judiciary has woken up to the fact that the cars sold in India are unsafe. Its the duty of the judiciary to ensure the safety and well being of the citizens, and by making it mandatory for automobile manufacturers to sell cars that meet the international standards in crash worthiness is a step in the right direction. Hell, I can just see the impact if a similar judgement was passed in Maharashtra or New Delhi. The automobile manufacturers must realize that this wanton disregard for consumer safety will not work. Building cars to a weaker safety standard for India is not done. We pay through our nose, we want safe vehicles. And by not releasing their crash test results these manufacturers are hiding the facts from the consumers. Way to Go Assam!!!
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 14:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

On what basis?. What is the bench mark. India doesn't not have a indigenous crash test facility. I believe it is just coming up in pune. How can court give such a sentence?. The manufacturer are simply going to appeal higher and going to get it ruled out. First there should be norms and ruling to follow. If the court had directed govt to bring in a amendment in automobile sector that would have been applauded. But this is simply waste of time.
geeash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 15:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

re: Assam bans sale of Alto, Swift, i10, Eon, Jazz and several other small cars

I hope they ban the highly unsafe State transport buses, unsafe trucks, rule flouting tractor-trolleys, cycle rickshaw and auto rickshaws, bullock carts and whatever 'unsafe' thing with wheels running on the roads. Why be selective in banning unsafe vehicles?
sourabhzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 15:09   #29
BHPian

I support the Court Order but am certain it will be challenged in Supreme Court, Hope its upheld..
To a large extent, its the responsibility of the Govt for Defining and Implementing the Norms, Its only after Minister's death that this is at least being spoken of, previously there has never been any discussion/debate or focus in media on this area..

The general Car buying public also need to realize about their and others safety, for most of them, the only concern while purchasing a vehicle is "Kitna Deta Hai?" which is why so many NOT so safe cars sell so hugely and manufacturers are not bothered..
If average car buying public becomes aware and go only for Models/Variants having at least 2 basic Safety features like ABS and Airbags, and Government enforces/ensures other passive/invisible safety measures, The Manufacturers also will be forced to respond..
There are instances, where manufacturers have a different standard for Export vehicles from the Ones sold in India..
Old 20th August 2015, 15:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
On what basis?. What is the bench mark. India doesn't not have a indigenous crash test facility. I believe it is just coming up in pune. How can court give such a sentence?. The manufacturer are simply going to appeal higher and going to get it ruled out. First there should be norms and ruling to follow. If the court had directed govt to bring in a amendment in automobile sector that would have been applauded. But this is simply waste of time.
Well said. Does this mean that the court certifies all other cars not on the 'banned' list to be safe? What if they are not - will the court pay for any damage sustained while travelling in a vehicle that is not banned?

This is a meaningless judgement like the sun control film ban.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks