Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2019, 20:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Automatic emergency braking to soon become a reality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Obviously, an automatic braking system would cut in at even shorter distance, but it tends to be speed depended as well. With bumper to bumper traffic in cities doing 20-30 km/h you are likely to be in constant emergency braking mode!
Jeroen
True, if you are on adaptive cruise control. Otherwise it should cut in only at the last moment if it detects an impending impact. If you have your foot on the brake early, it will not auto-brake. This will of course, be preceded by auditory and visual warning signals. It is the latter which, in my experience (with the my Volvo), I used to find more irritating in city traffic. Now, after so many years, my brain has more or less gotten used to it. Because of this, when I drive other cars, I'm in a more heightened state of alert.

I expected these changes to have had come to Europe much earlier. I guess the automobile industry must have lobbied hard to delay it. But better late then never. Latest automobile technology is finding its' way to our shores from outside much faster now compared to a decade ago. I am sure we will catch up. What I am not sure of is, whether our infrastructure will.
Old 14th February 2019, 20:47   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

On the highway, it is easier to implement. One such device has been in use on the inter-city buses of VRL for 2+ years now. The device is an aftermarket unit. The sensor is mounted at the front, and will look for any metal that is ahead of the vehicle. When triggered, the unit will start beeping (in the driver's cabin), and the driver has an option to over-ride it (within certain # of seconds). But will engage either at lapse of time limit or if condition persists. I had shared this one - possibly in the thread on long-distance bus services. Let me see if I can find that again. I am not aware of this being on buses of other travels/ service providers - but logically should be used by others in the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
It would be interesting to see how this would work in India with bumper to bumper traffic. no matter what the speed.
True. Bumper to Bumper traffic will be a different ball-game. Lots of challenges there.
Old 15th February 2019, 16:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
True, if you are on adaptive cruise control. Otherwise it should cut in only at the last moment if it detects an impending impact. If you have your foot on the brake early, it will not auto-brake. This will of course, be preceded by auditory and visual warning signals.

The system is actually independent of cruise control. It needs front facing radar or camera modules, which of course are present in cars with adaptive CC. It can intervene without driver input. And even if driver does brake, it calculates the distance to the object, determines if the driver applied brake is sufficient or not and will increase the brake if necessary.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 17:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

In my car, the AEB is initiated between speeds of about 5-50km/h (according to the manual). I think the minimum speed at which AEB may engage could be set of a higher value if needed.

The braking is triggered only when there is a risk of collision considering the vehicle speed and distance to the vehicle in front. Even in bumper-to-bumper traffic, a driver will maintain a safe braking margin. I mean, if you are nose-to-tail with the car in front, you are unlikely to be doing 20 or 30km/h.

I can creep very close to cars in front of me at a traffic light without setting off the emergency braking. I can also coast to a stop at traffic signals stopping close to cars in front without triggering the system. As a driver, I have an estimate in my mind about my speed, distance to the car in front and how hard I need to brake to stop come to a complete stop behind it. If these parameters are considered "safe" by the system, emergency braking or warning is not triggered. I have seen the warning maybe 7-8 times in about 4 years of drving AEB equipped cars. For the past couple of years, I face heavy traffic on most working days in the morning, so it's not like I am always on roads with sparse traffic.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 20:20   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

In the first tests of 2018–19 vehicles with this crash avoidance feature, 9 of 11 small SUV's evaluated earn an advanced or superior rating for pedestrian crash prevention.

Automatic emergency braking to soon become a reality!-2.jpg

Quote:
The 2018–19 Honda CR-V, 2019 Subaru Forester, 2019 Toyota RAV4 and 2019 Volvo XC40 earn the highest rating of superior
Automatic emergency braking to soon become a reality!-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th February 2019 at 20:27.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks