Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2015, 19:42   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: India-made Hyundai Grand i10 fails Latin NCAP crash test

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
Agree fully! Right now there is no way to find out which car has a safe structure and which one has an unstable one. In the absence of crash test results for most Indian cars, terms like 'High strength steel structure' or 'High rigidity and body robustness' on a manufacturer's site has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Its a shame that Grand i10 crumbles even worse than how the swift did a few months ago. Absolutely pathetic quality by Hyundai. It looks like Hyundai made even the chassis out of crumple zones
Yes, Totally agree that we Indian consumers are totally unaware of the crash test results, which check structural stability.

Also, your statement about the "chassis being made out of crumple zones" seems to be SPOT ON. For years, the automobile manufacturers have been telling us that although the car appears flimsy, its actually designed with crumple zones that will absorb the impact and hence protect the passengers therein in the event of a collision. Well, turns out that was a blatant lie.

Even in these so called modern cars, the crumple zones are not able to absorb the impact, and the chassis takes the brunt too, thus getting deformed, and then obviously since the whole structure is crumpling, the passengers are also bearing the brunt of the impact. So crumple zones are an absolute sham.

The utter disregard for safety of indian consumers is best exemplified by SIAM. Their website does not even manage the correct spelling of SAFETY, so shows how serious they are about it.

http://www.siamindia.com/technical-r...1&pgidtrail=34
Old 14th September 2015, 19:48   #47
BHPian

I do not want to jump to a conclusion here but the extra premium interior quality and fit-finish from 1-2 segments above that is offered by Hyundai does not make sense if the structure is compromised. Apparently Grand i10 is has overtaken Elite i20 in August Sales.

This makes me think whether buying the top end (ABS airbags included) models made in India is good enough? Currently there is no way to know the structural integrity of 4&5 star rated global models.
Experts is there a way to know this or anybody has info. on which all manufacturers are compromising.
Ecosport manufactured in India is sold world wide, so can we expect that to be a good and safe car?
Old 14th September 2015, 19:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The variant tested was without airbags. That's a default 0 rating.

I wonder why they even bother with further tests. Any car sold in the indian /international markets without dual airbags is at rating zero.
Don't you see how the structure of the car got crumbled and received 'unstable' remark in the test?

I thought i10 Grand will be better than previous i10 but the video is really shocking.

Almost all the Indian cars are untested, I wonder what kind of results they will achieve if tested? No surprise we double the accidental death numbers compared to much bigger country like China which has got much more number of cars than us.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 19:59   #49
BHPian

Sometimes we get what we deserve, thats about it. Like many have mentioned, we are a nation where people protest against helmet laws and seat belt laws. Where even 'so-called' educated and upmarket lot, go shopping and pick a 2 DIN player over ABS.

I know a senior manager in a IT MNC who apparently spent 5-7 years around the world proudly debate the uselessness of airbags in city conditions and how they are a waste of money. I guess some people just dont deserve it, and we are getting just that.

How many on T-Bhp have bought the 'O' version with the safety features ? If the Govt. makes it mandatory, there might be a popular protest condemning that, because majority of the population in our country thinks that an Airbag blow up will cost them 1.5 Lac to fix. I am not sure where they get this figure from, but just try randomly and ask people around
anand.shankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 20:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

They should test the maruthi omni to get a perspective of how safe this car is. In reality there is no air bag, the car immediately gets 0 rating.

Unless it’s a tank with no air bags, any cars with no airbags should be directly rated 0.

And government should mandate that all cars carry a 3inc by 3 inch safety rating sticker on all cars similar to the number plate.

Beyond this as a buyer if you still want to buy a car that says ZERO as safety let god alone save you...

At the same time, as manufacturer you are directly forcing them to get to 3 star minimum and push them indirectly to start giving airbags, seat belts and better shell as standard feature.

Only when the government makes it difficult for these manufacturers to sell substandard with respect to safety car, times will change.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 20:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
What crash tests????
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Almost all the Indian cars are untested, I wonder what kind of results they will achieve if tested?
Well, ARAI had published detailed crash testing standards in 2008. See link below.

https://araiindia.com/hmr/Control/AI...~PMAIS-098.pdf

Many Indian cars are already crash tested by their manufacturers, for instance the Tata Indica has been extensively crash tested, The Scorpio has been crash tested. I'm quite certain that many other current models have also been crash tested, especially by the manufacturers who export to other countries. However, none of these crash test results are available to the Indian public, and we all know why those test results are kept hidden from us.
Old 14th September 2015, 21:23   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post

Well, ARAI had published detailed crash testing standards in 2008. See link below.

https://araiindia.com/hmr/Control/AI...~PMAIS-098.pdf

Many Indian cars are already crash tested by their manufacturers, for instance the Tata Indica has been extensively crash tested, The Scorpio has been crash tested. I'm quite certain that many other current models have also been crash tested, especially by the manufacturers who export to other countries. However, none of these crash test results are available to the Indian public, and we all know why those test results are kept hidden from us.
Why is there no law for crash worthiness? Our law gives a loophole by lobbying, not due to ignorance of the law makers. If the law mandated that crash testing has to be carried out, and cleared, the first to fall would be the Indian manufacturers. The results are not made public because they're not cleared by the most lax standards even, and because it's not required.
As for the people who export cars, hyundai in this case, if they had carried out crash tests, they would know it's not going to clear anything. You think in that case, they would have sent such a model to Latin America? Hmm, they're pretty dumb then.
This needs to come down from the government. The manufacturer may be foreign, but the management is Indian. Because they know how to do business in India. Please don't expect ethics from them based on how they work in Japan and America and Europe. They need to be led with an iron fist. It's just a matter of the body politic to be ethical.

Last edited by mayankk : 14th September 2015 at 21:29.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 21:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

I'm not surprised. Since Hyundai stopped exporting to EU, I don't think it's out of place to assume we get less stronger body structures.

In fact Hyundai couldn't launch the Elite i20 in AUS as the indian made i20 would score only 2 stars in Australian NCAP. The reason for the same was given as the lack of curtain airbags, but I think it could be more due to a weak structure.

A big problem is the government, which is slow to implement high level safety standards.

Even bigger problem is awareness. People aren't aware of the safety features which can save life in an accident.

It's sad to see how some people value AVN system and alloy wheels more the ABS and airbags.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 21:48   #54
BHPian

This was one car around 5-6L mark which I have always wanted as my next small city car after I'm done with swift(vdi). I want to move on from swift ONLY because of the safety reasons. I wasn't so enlightened about the need for a safe vehicle before I joined Team-Bhp so had bought the vdi variant back in my college days. I was always in awe of the fit and finish of the interiors of grand i10 at its price point. But such results are not at all inspiring for a prospective buyer. I guess even with airbags the structure won't do much.
chintu_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 21:55   #55
BHPian

There was a minor accident of our i10 in August. There was some frontal impact. That was the time I came to know that it did not have a bumper. The radiator assembly had to be completely replaced. The repair cost were almost 40 K.
We were planning to exchange that to Grand i10 during Diwali but the plans are completely shelved after we realized Grand i10 would be no different.
atnyia is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 22:17   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
I do not want to jump to a conclusion here but the extra premium interior quality and fit-finish from 1-2 segments above that is offered by Hyundai does not make sense if the structure is compromised. Apparently Grand i10 is has overtaken Elite i20 in August Sales.

This makes me think whether buying the top end (ABS airbags included) models made in India is good enough? Currently there is no way to know the structural integrity of 4&5 star rated global models.
Experts is there a way to know this or anybody has info. on which all manufacturers are compromising.
Ecosport manufactured in India is sold world wide, so can we expect that to be a good and safe car?
common sense would suggest that when a car gets lighter, something heavy would be missing. Now since no obvious exterior part is amiss, then suspiscion squarely falls on structural strength. This is where car manufacturers do away with structural elements and various beams to minimise cost and maximise profit per unit. BTW almost all manucturers including luxury ones are opting for thinner sheet metal for their body. This again costs less and cuts weight but would reduce structural rigidity in case of colissions.

So heavier cars may well be safer cars, but they may reduce a bit on drivability. I am usually apprehensive when manufacturers bring out an iteration or facelift of a successful model because that is where this haath ki safai will begin.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 22:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

Businesses sell what people want to buy. In india, people are more bothered about fuel efficiency (not that its a bad thing per se) and cosmetic enhancements. Not really about safety.

To meet my targets, I will sell them exactly that. Ethics be damned. So we will keep seeing mileage claims being waved enthusiastically and false claims of safety (After all every model of i20 displays the 5 star safety rating sticker proudly or rather foolishly). Unless of course the law Mandates something different or the consumer needs change- Both highly unlikely in the current scenario.

Coming to the debate on light vs heavy cars, It is great to have lighter cars that are fuel efficient as long as the light weight is a result of technological advancement that helps maintain same strength by using light weight materials (which is what happens in developed markets).

However here it is more often than not by sacrificing or modifying certain structural elements itself. Again I would not blame the manufacture squarely for it. It is unfortunate but the fact is that he is here to do business and as of now outside a select group of individuals like this community, there is no market for safety in India.

Last edited by vibbs : 14th September 2015 at 22:55.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 01:20   #58

Sad. :( The entire chassis got damaged in this test.
One more reason not to let anyone in family and friends buy these unsafe cars.
Jaatree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 06:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

So, another one bites the dust. Some excerpts from Latin NCAP website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin NCAP
The basic version of the Hyundai Grand i10, made in India and purchased in Chile, scored zero stars in Adult Occupant Protection and two stars Child Occupant Protection.

Comparing this unit to the model tested by Euro NCAP, there are clear differences in the equipment levels as the European basic version offers frontal and side airbags. Moreover the European version provides child seat ISOFIX anchorages and the anti-skid technology, electronic stability control (ESC) added to a stable structure, resulting in a four star rating by Euro NCAP. The unit tested by Latin NCAP had no airbags, no ISOFIX anchorages and no ESC equipment and also presents an unstable performance of the structure.

This model was recently launched in markets like Argentina with more safety equipment than the one tested by Latin NCAP, however its poor performing structure may still reduce passengers´protection.
I agree with other posts here. The onus lies with Govt. of India to not give into the powerful lobby of automobile companies here. When I pay top money for a variant with safety features, I am fully expecting a safe and stable structure to go with the ABS and airbags.

And this is bad from a business point of view as well. Customers in other countries will soon start to say no to the vehicles manufactured in India. The Grand i10 got tested because it recently got launched in the Latin American markets. Sure, the media over there is not going to sit quiet. And they shouldn't.

If GOI really wants our manufacturers to succeed in creating a global manufacturing hub for cars and export in big numbers, they should take the initiative to make the cars safe. In auto industry, its all about economies of scale. If a manufacturer is making two different structures for the domestic market and for exports, it doesn't become a viable option.

The manufacturers should take the short term pain for long term gain. And honestly, they aren't going to do it unless the Govt. makes it mandatory.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 07:18   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
And this is bad from a business point of view as well. Customers in other countries will soon start to say no to the vehicles manufactured in India. The Grand i10 got tested because it recently got launched in the Latin American markets. Sure, the media over there is not going to sit quiet. And they shouldn't.
Good point! We infact have heard of India-made Duster getting flak in the UK market for rusting issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn
If a manufacturer is making two different structures for the domestic market and for exports, it doesn't become a viable option.
That indeed is the sad reality. We have heard of 300+ changed components for the Ecosport exported to the UK. The Ecosport sold in domestic market is relatively safe, but it's still appalling that they have different production-lines. The Vento is another example - the Polo sedan in Malaysia gets three 3-point seatbelts for the rear occupants (see pic below), whereas for Indian customers that luxury is available in cars which will cost around 20 lakhs and above!

India-made Hyundai Grand i10 fails Latin NCAP crash test-polosedan_amplestoragespace.jpg
Picture source: VW Malaysia
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks