Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2015, 19:57   #166
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport - Axle breaks on highway. EDIT: Due to accident (details on page 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
This is quite an excellent observation, giving evidence on that sudden impact with culvert instead of the axle failure as initially reported. Clearly the 34 years in the profession speaking.
The 5th pic from the opening post doesn't seem to be bent forward.
nischaltopno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 20:00   #167
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport - Axle breaks on highway. EDIT: Due to accident (details on page 11)

For me, the best part out of this incidence is, while we had a one sided account of the incident, the Team-Bhpians did not just blindly go with it and did raise questions. Things were looking suspicious since the beginning, however I would still appreciate if we can have an official statement from Ford.

May I request the Mods to change the Title of the thread to something which conveys that this is "Under Investigation".
Old 27th November 2015, 20:03   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischaltopno View Post
The 5th pic from the opening post doesn't seem to be bent forward.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...61429057_o.jpg

this is what you should be checking. The 16th pic of the post 157 to be precise (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3857259)

EDIT: My Bad I did not understand at first. You are right. The seat is not bent forward in the 5th pic of the initial batch of photos. Clearly moved forward at the dealership and misunderstood by the actuary.

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2015 at 11:57. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 20:11   #169
BHPian

There is no privacy left when 12 Pages of a forum have been used up to build up a case and dissect it and discuss it !

well in insurance claim cases nothing is private once the vehicle is subject matter of a claim, as the vehicle would have been named along with the owner in the FIR of the police department which is a public document!! and if it further progresses to a MACT claim, the vehicle and the owner would have obtained quite a bit of publicity

and i do not think that he has been paid either by ford or the insurance company or the owner of the ecosport for his comments. as an enthusiast and due to the heated discussion here he happened to inspect his vehicle. if not anything else his 34 years of experience needs to be respected

a classic Case of Shoot the Messenger for carrying the message

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2015 at 11:58. Reason: Removing quoted posts which have been deleted
Sunilrj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 20:34   #170
BANNED

I would appreciate this guy instead. Here a case of manufacturing defect was blamed on and don't know how many prospective Ecosport owners would have turned the other way. With a widely read forum like this, if not for this guys message, most would have sided with the owner and made Ford guilty. The audacity of the owner to disown the fault should never be kept for private discussions. This should be deterrent for others and will affirm that TEAM-BHP stands for nothing but TRUTH.
The Rationalist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 20:51   #171
Team-BHP Support

Ok , so now does the owner get Insurance Claim or will they refuse citing sleepy eyes ?
Old 27th November 2015, 22:17   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Ok , so now does the owner get Insurance Claim or will they refuse citing sleepy eyes ?
As long as the driver had d/l dont see any reason not to get insurance. If the insurance claims driver slept off they can always fight the case.
Old 27th November 2015, 22:58   #173
Senior - BHPian

So it is what I thought it was, a bogus claim and we stood by it. I hope we learn from this and move on.

Kudos to the surveyor & Sunilrj for getting us more insights and pictures of the vehicle.

Mods, the title is inappropriate and it should be aptly changed.

I hope Ford and Insurance both reject this guy's claim and he should pay through the nose to get in the driver seat of that EcoSport again. Good luck Poornima!
anachronix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 23:23   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitheeshsreeram View Post
As long as the driver had d/l dont see any reason not to get insurance. If the insurance claims driver slept off they can always fight the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I hope Ford and Insurance both reject this guy's claim
Guys, I am a bit confused here.

Can insurance reject the claim on the basis of driver fault? Lots of accidents do happen due to driver fault. Are those drivers not getting insurance money? I thought comprehensive insurance cover was available irrespective of fault.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 23:58   #175
Senior - BHPian

So the reason is external impact which led to the incident as per some analysis posted here.
While I am not an expert, digesting what he has written is a bit difficult for me.

May be the car was driven with a burst tyre for some distance, but the loss of air shall be sudden as the cut is huge and some concrete plaster was found in the tyre. So the car was driveable after accident and the tyre pressure should have reduced very fast as the cut on tyre is big. Sound a bit akward, but its OK.

To be frank, I have hit Innova on such scenario which lead to scratches on alloys, body, but not such damage. Innova must be doing around 80 at that time. Will try to post image of the alloy tomorrow or so. Guess I am lucky sometimes.

Anyways, I will wait for Ford's official analysis and report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Guys, I am a bit confused here.

Can insurance reject the claim on the basis of driver fault? Lots of accidents do happen due to driver fault. Are those drivers not getting insurance money? I thought comprehensive insurance cover was available irrespective of fault.
Comprehensive Insurance Cover is available irrespective of fault. Why my sister crashed Wagon R, images posted in this very thread, we had claimed insurance and damage to pocket was 35-40K IIRC as the insurance was not bumper to bumper Zero Depreciation.

I had a big dent on my wallet when a guy crashed into my Baleno ( the 1.6 sedan one ) RHS fender and headlight wherein he landed on my windscreen. Baleno had 3rd party insurance and I felt it hard.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 28th November 2015 at 00:09.
Old 28th November 2015, 01:22   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
If the tyre scrapped the culvert at speed high enough to rip the tyre, the scratches on the bumper would be way more pronounced and deeper. If it was a slow graze, there's no reason for the axle to completely collapse like in this case.

While I doubt Ford with their tyre burst story, let's see what they have to say.
There is a slight left curve in the road at the culvert. If the car was turning left, the tyre would have been sticking out of the wheel well. If the bumper grazed the culvert, the tyre would have taken a massive hit. Assuming that it was running tubeless tyres on alloys, that would have been enough to catse this accident- rim bends (and perhaps cracks), immediate loss of tyre pressure, car pitches down further deforming the wheel and causing the consequent damage.

I have seen alloy wheels break apart on impacting the kerb at 30-40 km/h. granted the Ecosport may have better wheels, but at 60 km/h the energies involved are twice as much.
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 02:04   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
I have seen alloy wheels break apart on impacting the kerb at 30-40 km/h. granted the Ecosport may have better wheels, but at 60 km/h the energies involved are twice as much.

Much worse, at twice the speed the energy is four times as high. Its speed to the power two!
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 10:18   #178
BHPian

Mr. Shetty further states: These 5 photographs failed to upload when posted....hence sent under comments....

Ford EcoSport - Axle breaks on highway. EDIT: Due to accident (details on page 11)-1.jpg

Drive shaft not deformed at all....except ripped open and dislocated from its ball joint after suspension pushed backwards due to severe impact on tyre

Ford EcoSport - Axle breaks on highway. EDIT: Due to accident (details on page 11)-2.jpg

Concrete piece and dust on inner wall of tyre

Ford EcoSport - Axle breaks on highway. EDIT: Due to accident (details on page 11)-3.jpg

Buckled sill panel LH

Ford EcoSport - Axle breaks on highway. EDIT: Due to accident (details on page 11)-4.jpg

Unaffected brake disc caliper and knuckle....confirms acute angle tangential impact on front left tyre/wheel disc/suspension

Ford EcoSport - Axle breaks on highway. EDIT: Due to accident (details on page 11)-5.jpg

Abbression (Abrasion) mark of culvert at torn portion of the tyre....reflects an impact received from external hard object, white in colour....
Sunilrj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 10:29   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
So it is what I thought it was, a bogus claim and we stood by it. I hope we learn from this and move on.
This is not the first case where an accident occurred due to driver error has been attributed to manufacturing defect.

The crux is, the inability of the driver to accept the fact that he or she might have done the mistake that caused the accident. If they had thought about that possibility, we wouldn't have this discussion right now.

So its not a bogus claim, per se.

On a personal note, of the three accidents that I was involved with, I know, two of them where mainly due to my mistake. I learned a lot from those and it has made me a better driver.
Old 28th November 2015, 12:01   #180
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford EcoSport - Axle breaks on highway. EDIT: Due to accident (details on page 11)

Mod Note: Thread title has been changed to reflect the latest updates!
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks