Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2015, 23:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Swift and Dzire L and V variants get optional ABS and airbags

Finally, Though i think they should have done it a long time back, When they themselves know better than most of the customers that maruti's are not at all known for their built quality, They should have atleast given ABS and airbags as options! Reminds me of the time we had an SX4 ZXi back in 2008 and when a skoda guy rear ended our car when we were stationery waiting at a signal, Almost had turned our sedan into a hatchback!
Old 24th November 2015, 23:24   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak7 View Post
Also, they should provide thicker tires instead of the skinny tires on the optional models which could improve braking as well as stability of the car. A car doesn't become totally safe by just the addition of ABS and airbags, but other factors like structural strength also matter.
Very true. I used to own a Swift VDI (ABS) option. I paid 25K extra for the ABS, unfortunatly airbags was not even available as an option and in Deiesel there was no ZDI at that time only upto VDI ABS option. Only the petrol variant had ZXI with ABS & Air Bags. The tyres however, were too skinny for the power/torque the car made. The problem is that they fancy mileage numbers advertised by the car manufacturers can only be attained with the skinny tyres with low rolling resistance. Besides a cost saving factor as well...
Old 25th November 2015, 00:51   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure I should thank Maruti or Ford for this result!! Anyhow, a win for the customer.

This keeps everybody else on toes, now to offer the safety features on their products too. And the surprise is the price - just 20K for ABS + Airbags?? Back in 2008, I paid 25K for ABS alone in my Swift VDi (O). Now, that's safety made affordable.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th November 2015 at 00:52.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 01:34   #19
BHPian

I think the VXI(O) prices are identical to the Baleno Delta variant. Why would anyone buy the swift ?
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 08:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Good show by the market leader. Kudos for taking safety seriously after some unfortunate comments by leadership not so long back.

Hope this is done across segments by MSIL and picked up by other manufacturers too. High time safety kit its due importance on the brochure before chrome or other "stylish" bits.

And this shouldn't stop here for MSIL. They should also make all the cars sold here structurally on par with what Suzuki sells in EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
I think the VXI(O) prices are identical to the Baleno Delta variant. Why would anyone buy the swift ?
Theoretically, it should be the Baleno all the way. But I think the deals on the Swift, the waiting period on the Baleno and the reach (or lack of) of Nexa will make some pick the Swift.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 09:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, they should provide thicker tires instead of the skinny tires on the optional models which could improve braking as well as stability of the car. A car doesn't become totally safe by just the addition of ABS and airbags, but other factors like structural strength also matter.
They should offer optional wider tyres at least. The good thing is that the tyres can be upgraded after purchase, unlike air bags and ABS.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 09:54   #22
BHPian

This is a good move for those consumers who are on a tight budget and could barely reach into the B2 segment but would want airbags+ABS. The LXI safety pack provides an option at sub 5 lakh levels (hitherto the Bolt XMS was the cheapest option with basic safety features at 5.5 l ex-showroom iirc)

The India made Swift has scored 3 stars on the Latin NCAP compared to zero stars scored by the bag & ABS less one, so in the absence of a local crash testing regime, one may logically conclude that any airbag is better than none and of course the ABS is a no brainer. One may argue about NCAP's lack of confidence in Swift's body shell integrity but its impossible to make any reliable conclusions about whether, with 2 airbags and ABS assumed to be present across make and models, Swift is any less safer than any of its segment competitors (Liva, Brio, Grand i10, Polo Punto et al) in the absence of a standardized testing regime being implemented in India.

In conclusion, kudos to Maruti for providing a choice at least, the motivation may not be an altruistic one and perhaps they have been egged on by the wafer thin price differential between the Swift and the Baleno and hence worried about the now tenuous value proposition of the Swift over the Baleno. However in the absence of local safety certifications yet to be implemented, at least there is an option to make an informed choice
Old 25th November 2015, 10:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is definitely a good move by Maruti Suzuki as it will encourage other companies as well to give these additions. However, I feel these should have been as standard additions but I am still content with this move by Maruti Suzuki.

I know that addition of thicker tires could reduce mileage but I think the people who go for these optional variants can also let go a few kmpl for their safety.

Swift
Steel(L/V):165/80R14
Alloy(Z):185/65R15

Honda City
175/65 R15

The highest that City offers is a 175 width while the lowest Maruti offers is 165. We do know the price points at which these cars are sold. Rest is up to each ones's interpretation.
A manufacturer can only do so much. If one feels that the tires are inadequate for how he drives, the onus is on him to change the tires to the one he is comfortable with or drive within the limits of the car.

Kudos to Maruti for making the safety features optional and leaving the choice to the consumers.
SchumiFan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 10:40   #24
BHPian

This is a good move. My only concern is availability of these option variants. I remember swift Vdi with ABS always had longer waiting period.

A person going in to buy a Car will buy the non equipped version which is readily available rather than waiting. Eventually the option variants usually end up being a marketing stunt more or less.

Its not only with Maruti, lot of manufactures have waiting period for option models. Its something like the base model which is just used to market as starting price but never in stock.
tazmaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 10:42   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't understand how a slight increase in the dimensions of the tyre is going to affect the fuel efficiency. Fyi, Ciaz at its lowest variants come with 185 section tyres and yet manages to return higher efficiency than the 165 section tyred swift. Honda should use 195 section tyres on the city. The city being a looker, 175 tyres are an eyesore!

Last edited by GTO : 26th November 2015 at 10:06. Reason: Language & typos
PrasannaDhana is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th November 2015, 10:53   #26
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A good step in the right direction, finally!

I really hope that response to the (O) variants will be good and people start realizing the value in a safety package over all other silly "features" offered during the festive season as "Limited editions"
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 11:08   #27
BHPian

Ford, Volkswagen are known for their solid build quality. Toyota, though not as solidly built as the Europeans or Americans, is nonetheless sturdier in their shell than Maruti. Yet these three auto giants provide safety features as standard across all their variants.

It is expected from Maruti to make these safety features standard across all the variants of all their cars. The leader has to follow suit of the pack. Once all manufacturers decide to skimp on gizmos to add ABS and air bags, we could save a lot of lives.
Old 25th November 2015, 12:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

While they were at it, they should have made it standard. Some salesmen push customers to buy the standard variants, thereby selling a cheaper car. And they shouldn't have charged more. Swift was already an overpriced car to begin with.
blue_pulsar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 12:31   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
It is expected from Maruti to make these safety features standard across all the variants of all their cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
While they were at it, they should have made it standard.
"Blame Maruti, always for everything they do or don't do"?

IMO, it is good that Maruti made the safety features optional than standard, (and they have to do the same in the entry level cars like Alto). Reason? Customers should never keep away from buying a car and continue using their 2-wheelers seeing a higher price tag for a car of their choice. A 2-wheeler is always an unsafe mode compared to a car.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 25th November 2015 at 12:50.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 14:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

"Blame Maruti, always for everything they do or don't do"?

IMO, it is good that Maruti made the safety features optional than standard, (and they have to do the same in the entry level cars like Alto). Reason? Customers should never keep away from buying a car and continue using their 2-wheelers seeing a higher price tag for a car of their choice. A 2-wheeler is always an unsafe mode compared to a car.
I've "expected" something from Maruti, not "blamed" it for doing or not doing something. If it provides safety features as standard (which some do), it is going to earn a lot of goodwill. And the rest have to follow the route anyhow.

First time buyers need to be habituated with the idea of a safety feature enabled car from the begining of their car purchase, and Maruti has a good chance to do that.

Most Viewed