Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:57   #31
BHPian

All crash tests of the 1st generation Creta

I could not find much information about any crash test of the 1st generation Creta sold worldwide apart from the widely circulated Latin NCAP test. So here is all evidence of all known crash tests of the 1st generation Creta that I could find over the years in chronological order. Maybe this is too late but better late than never.

C - NCAP crash test of 1st generation Creta

It is very surprising that very few people talk about the C - NCAP crash test results of the first generation Creta despite scoring 5 out of 5 stars. Launched in China in December 2014, the ix25 (also known as Creta and Cantus in other countries) went through the following four tests for the assessment :-

1) 100% overlap frontal crash test - This test was conducted at a speed of 50kmph where the ix25 scored 15.89 points out of a maximum score of 18.

2) Side impact test - The side impact test was conducted with a moving deformable barrier moving at a speed of 50-51kmph. The SUV scored 18 out of 18 points.

3) Forty percent overlap frontal impact test - In the 40 % overlap frontal impact test that was carried out at a speed of 64 kmph, the Hyundai ix25 scored 14.11 out of 18 points.

4) Whiplash test - Here, the driver’s seat and restraint system performed at a speed of 15.65kmph and this car scored a 100 % score.

Score summary : 5 out of 5 stars

Sadly, I could not find a clearer video other than this one here :-

Information credits :

1) https://www.carwale.com/news/hyundai...in-crash-test/

2) https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...-c-ncap/20707/

Latin NCAP crash test of the 1st generation Creta

This is probably the most widely circulated and viewed crash test result of the 1st generation Creta. Here the 1st generation Creta scored 4 out of 5 stars. The testing parameters and their respective results in this Latin NCAP test were very similar to those of the aforementioned C-NCAP test except for the side-impact test which was not performed by Latin NCAP on the 1st generation Creta. Here is a summary of their test results :-

https://www.latinncap.com/en/download/result/file/71

And here is their assessment protocol which they used to test the 1st generation Creta :-

https://www.latinncap.com/data/proto...March_2013.pdf

Also, here is the video released by Latin NCAP :-

ARCAP crash test of 1st generation Creta

This was probably the most difficult to find primarily due to my limited knowledge about the Russian language. ARCAP is an independent organization that tests cars sold primarily in Russia. This organization is not the same as NCAP. ARCAP is run by an automobile magazine publication house known as Autoreview Russia.

The following video shows the 1st generation Creta being crash tested at 64 kmph against a deformable barrier with 40% front overlap. This is very similar to one of the tested parameters used by both C-NCAP and Latin NCAP. As expected, the results too are very similar.

The following video shows the 1st generation Creta being crash tested at a speed of 64 kmph with a rigid non-deformable barrier at a 25% front overlap. This test was not done on any Creta by any NCAP.

Score summary : 4 out of 5 stars

Personal observations and conclusions :

1) The side-impact test was not done by any testing agency above apart from C-NCAP. This could have significantly boosted the final scores to make the car qualify for the coveted 5 star rating by both Latin NCAP and ARCAP.

2) No difference in build quality can be observed in any of the respectively tested parameters amongst those of all testing agencies as shown by their very similar scores in each of the tested parameters. This is also reflected in the service manuals, body-in-white diagrams, etc amongst all the 1st generation Creta sold in various countries including the ones sold in India.

Please note that the primary intention of this post is to help provide evidence as to all known crash tests of the 1st generation Creta. Hope you liked my research.

I wish you all happy and safe drives ahead
Chhanda Das is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 14:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: All crash tests of the 1st generation Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
I could not find much information about any crash test of the 1st generation Creta sold worldwide apart from the widely circulated Latin NCAP test. So here is all evidence of all known crash tests of the 1st generation Creta that I could find over the years in chronological order.
Very informative post. I have very limited knowledge about ARCAP and had no idea they had tested the first-generation Creta at all, let alone a 25% offset rigid barrier test like the IIHS.

Quote:
And here is their assessment protocol which they used to test the 1st generation Creta :-
The reason people so widely refer to the Latin NCAP result is that the assessment protocol used by them from 2013-15 was identical to that used by Global NCAP presently for #SaferCarsForIndia.

Quote:
1) The side-impact test was not done by any testing agency above apart from C-NCAP. This could have significantly boosted the final scores to make the car qualify for the coveted 5 star rating by both Latin NCAP and ARCAP.
Alas, the Latin market Creta had only a driver-side seatbelt reminder. It actually passed the minimum score for five stars in the frontal test by a comfortable margin, but it wasn't tested for side impact under UN95 Regulation because it would not be eligible for the fifth star anyway thanks to the missing passenger-side seatbelt reminder.

However, please note that while the ratings are definitely very interesting for academic interest, they should not be used as official ratings for a right-hand drive car (like the Indian one) since the car was tested for left hand-drive-only markets (unlike, say, Europe where Euro NCAP from time to time accepts evidence from manufacturers that the rating can be extended to the opposite hand of drive, since Europe has both left and right hand-drive markets). Sometimes, changes in orientation of components cause different levels of intrusion in cars with a different hand of drive. Take a look at this example, though it's not a very good one.
ron178 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 10:58   #33
BHPian

Re: All crash tests of the 1st generation Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
However, please note that while the ratings are definitely very interesting for academic interest, they should not be used as official ratings for a right-hand drive car (like the Indian one) since the car was tested for left hand-drive-only markets (unlike, say, Europe where Euro NCAP from time to time accepts evidence from manufacturers that the rating can be extended to the opposite hand of drive, since Europe has both left and right hand-drive markets). Sometimes, changes in orientation of components cause different levels of intrusion in cars with a different hand of drive.
As I mentioned in my post above, having been able to look at the service manuals for the Creta of different countries, their body-in-white diagrams, etc since 2017, I can say with confidence that the first generation Creta is identical (structurally) in the base variants across countries irrespective of whether it is LHD or RHD

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks