Team-BHP - Toyota Etios awarded 4-Stars in Global NCAP Crash Test
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Toyota Etios awarded 4-Stars in Global NCAP Crash Test (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/173045-toyota-etios-awarded-4-stars-global-ncap-crash-test.html)

Quote:

Toyota Kirloskar Motor’s Etios hatchback that is manufactured in Bidadi plant, has received a four-star rating from Global NCAP, the global safety watchdog. In late 2015, the carmaker had decided to equip all of its Etios models with two airbags and two pretensioners and asked Global NCAP to test the car and provide a star rating for its crashworthiness.
The recent test of the Toyota Etios reveals a good level of adult occupant protection for the frontal passenger, achieving a rating of four stars and two stars in child occupant protection. David Ward, Global NCAP secretary general, said, "Global NCAP congratulates Toyota on this voluntary initiative, which has resulted in significant safety improvements for the Etios model sold in India. Global NCAP encourages all car manufacturers to follow the safety example set by Toyota and Volkswagen to improve occupant protection for all their models sold in India.
"It is impressive to see a major manufacturer achieve a four-star result and we look forward to the first five-star car in India," he added. As part of the SaferCarsForIndia campaign, Global NCAP has been performing independent crash tests on some of India's most popular small cars since 2014. Earlier tests have shown a high-risk of life threatening injuries in road crashes in several models tested in a frontal impact at 64kph.
The SaferCarsForIndia Campaign
In January 2014, Global NCAP published crash test results for five of India's best-known cars: Maruti Suzuki Alto 800, Hyundai i10, Ford Figo, Volkswagen Polo and Tata Nano. All the cars received zero-star adult protection ratings. Volkswagen immediately decided to offer the Polo for sale in India with two airbags as standard. moving the protection level of this model from a high-risk of life threatening injuries at zero stars, to four (out of five) stars for adult occupant protection. This model received a four-star safety rating.
In November 2014, Global NCAP published crash test results for Nissan's Datsun Go and the Maruti Suzuki Swift. Both cars received zero-star adult protection ratings. Since the Go test, Datsun has committed to improve the safety performance of the Go with a strengthened bodyshell and optional airbags.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ng-400104.aspx
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/toyota-eti...h-test-1272715

Wow! clap:

I must say I really underestimated the Etios here. Glad that Toyota hasn't compromised safety on the Etios twins even though they both feel like made of paper for the most part and is extremely light weight for the size.

Toyota should really revamp the interiors now and give the car a proper facelift to give the Etios a chance of survival in this crowded marketspace.

They have started advertisements within hours of the announcement. :eek:

Toyota Etios awarded 4-Stars in Global NCAP Crash Test-untitled2.jpg

I admit, I am very surprised by this good show by Etios! The car looks and feels so flimsy with a low kerb weight to boot, that I thought it would do as badly as the flimsy Marutis and Hyundais. I have some new found respect for Toyota now; even their cheapest offering did well here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Ug...ature=youtu.be

Report http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...yota-Etios.pdf

PS: I am curious to know the weight of Liva now. NCAP report mentions it as 1131 kgs; I assume its a petrol variant and its the gross weight. Can't find any mention of car's weight on the Liva website or brochure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavenlybull (Post 3908057)
PS: I am curious to know the weight of Liva now. NCAP report mentions it as 1131 kgs; I assume its a petrol variant and its the gross weight. Can't find any mention of car's weight on the Liva website or brochure.

Crash test weight includes the dummies and other equipment. The kerb weight of the Liva will be lighter than the test weight.

Fantastic! Did Toyota make any other changes/ modifications to the Etios before asking NCAP to test it except the airbags and pretensioners? If not, I am surprised. My friend owns an Etios and it feels really really flimsy. Makes a good case for thrashing the old age thin sheet metal theory.

Regards
Saket.

Toyota Etios (Liva) scored 4 Stars in Latin NCAP conducted in year 2012 with same Kerb Weight of 1132kgs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAaFeRQnz2E

I am not surprised if she did it again in Global NCAP and :thumbs up for Toyota on standardising airbags across the range.
She is an epitome of Fill it , Shut it , Forget it.

Incidentally, this test is a tangible evidence for another lively discussion on this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-matter.html ;)

I must say that I'm quite surprised at the good show by the Etios twins at the Global NCAP tests. I really didn't think that a car that looked so downmarket and flimsy to naked eyes could be as safe as these cars have proved now. Heck, even the Ford Ecosport that gives a reassuringly safe feeling the moment you touch the doors scored the same 4 star rating if I remember right.

Good job Toyota! You cut corners inside and out aesthetically but ensured the structure and sheet metal was not sub-standard and unsafe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvi86 (Post 3908183)
Heck, even the Ford Ecosport that gives a reassuringly safe feeling the moment you touch the doors scored the same 4 star rating if I remember right.

Good job Toyota! You cut corners inside and out aesthetically but ensured the structure and sheet metal was not sub-standard and unsafe.

Please don't go by the thud of the door as a better safety aspect. Go through the Auto Expo Brezza thread to read about the actual reason behind the thud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajivr1612 (Post 3908202)
Please don't go by the thud of the door as a better safety aspect. Go through the Auto Expo Brezza thread to read about the actual reason behind the thud.

Thanks, I usually don't. If that was the case, the Japanese and Korean cars wouldn't be scoring 5 stars in the NHTSA and Global NCAP tests.

Having said that, all of us would agree that the Ecosport is one solidly built car and the Etios, I perceived all these days, was not. That both of them scored the same safety rating at the Global NCAP was quite a revelation!

Not sure how dumb I might sound but : Does adding two airbags and two pretensioners increase the safety level from zero to four stars? I know I might be reviving an old debate, but what role does the sheet metal thickness play?
The Etios' thickness feels flimsy when compared to say a Polo. So doesn't it still matter in case of impacts from side?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rav11stars (Post 3908584)
Not sure how dumb I might sound but : Does adding two airbags and two pretensioners increase the safety level from zero to four stars? I know I might be reviving an old debate, but what role does the sheet metal thickness play?
The Etios' thickness feels flimsy when compared to say a Polo. So doesn't it still matter in case of impacts from side?

It is not about airbags alone. It depends on the design of the Crumple zone design and how it absorbs crash energy by effectively preventing them being directly transferred to the occupants, while also preventing intrusion into or deformation of the passenger cabin.

Quote:

Airbags alone don't increase the safety from zero to four stars. But airbags are a necessary condition and Global NCAP assigns zero straightaway if there are no airbags.

The star rating depends on how well the structure is able to absorb the impact and how well it mitigates the damage to occupants. The Indian made Swift sold in Brazil has airbags but scored 3 stars since the cabin had started deforming under impact.

Quote:

If what I understand is correct then sheet metal on a vehicle is similar to our skin. It just provides the overall shape and design features. The main components are the base frame on which the sheet metal is attached to. If the frame is designed properly to crumple at correct locations and airbags, ABS etc. are provided then the vehicle can clear safety tests with good results and also be relatively safe in real life situations.
Coming to side impact, is the sheet metal used in Polo so thick that it can resist deformation from a high speed crash?

Good to see this. Actually, I am not too surprised. We have an Etios in the immediate family which was brought when it was launched. 5+ years and 80,000 km later, it still runs as good as new like a typical Toyota. And most importantly, has aged well and does not have that old look about it. In my view, a poorly built car will not age well.

Of course, it does feel light and flimsy. No doubt about that. But looking at the recent launches, the Etios does not seem too far behind.

We recently bought a pre owned 2011 petrol Etios. I feel it is a highly under rated car. It has good pick up, torquey engine, very nice gear shifts, great space and reliability to boot. With regards to build, this car is now over 4 years old and doesn't rattle at all! FE is admittedly average, but service costs are shockingly low.

I had an inkling that this car has above average abilities to protect in case of a crash, from the pictures I saw in this post: https://www.facebook.com/Ajit.Menon2...04710521175351