Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2016, 13:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i10 given 1-star adult safety rating by ASEAN NCAP

ASEAN NCAP recently performed an audit test on the Malaysian-spec Hyundai i10 in order to check for consistency in the manufacturing process since it was first tested in 2012.

The car fared badly in the Adult Occupant Protection (AOP) test and scored 4.40 points (out of a possible 16), equating to an alarming 1-star safety rating vs the 2-star rating the i10 received in 2012. The car tested was equipped with dual front airbags. The i10 sold here doesn't get either ABS or airbags even as an option, on any variant.

Contrarily, the car fared well in the Child Occupant Protection (COP) test with 79% compliance, giving it a 4-star safety rating vs the 2-star rating the car received in 2012. ISOFIX and top tether are available in the car. The model tested gets a driver airbag as standard and while higher variants get a passenger airbag and ABS as standard, they are optional on the base variant. Electronic Stability Control (ESC) is not available.

According to a report by ET Auto, Dr Wong Shaw Woon (ASEAN NCAP Chairman) expressed his disappointment with the results and stated that the organization will keep conducting more audit tests in the future to regularly check the commitment of manufacturers to safety.

Hyundai i10 given 1-star adult safety rating by ASEAN NCAP-hyundaii102015wallpaper.png

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2016 at 12:41. Reason: Made in Malaysia, not India
Tushar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 given 1-star adult safety rating by ASEAN NCAP

Now that's called as improved performance.

Kudos to Hyundai for degrading safety of passengers; If the export version has performed like this in crash test, what is being sold to Indian customers?

When in case of VW emission violations, the Government machinery took some action and started reviewing the emission performance of VW cars sold in India, why nothing happens to the manufacturers who's cars are performing like this when tested by international agencies?

Is there no responsibility of Government to do something, or they just that they do not want to see what is happening around the globe and how products manufactured in India are rated?

Is this how they want to promote "make in India?"

I am seriously disappointed when it comes to the quality and standards followed here in India !

Last edited by i74js : 18th February 2016 at 14:18.
i74js is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

Given talking about using 'protection' is a taboo subject in India, the govt. has come up with this novel method of population control via bad automotive engineering.

If the road accident stats are anything to go by, the scheme is a runaway success.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:23   #4
BANNED

Going by the current trend of socio-political events, this Govt will get pilloried if it attempts anything against major players in the automobile sector.The public will be encouraged to rise against authoritarianism and they will oblige.
Companies like Maruti and Hyundai have never bothered to pretend to be in the 'safe cars' category !
Their skinny car structures may be cheaper and more fuel efficient; and the public seems to only want that.
European manufacturers cant hope to compete with them because of their mandatory requirements there.
Unless they too fall into this rut and 'make for India'.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Now that's called as improved performance.

Kudos to Hyundai for degrading safety of passengers; If the export version has performed like this in crash test, what is being sold to Indian customers?

When in case of VW emission violations, the Government machinery took some action and started reviewing the emission performance of VW cars sold in India, why nothing happens to the manufacturers who's cars are performing like this when tested by international agencies?

Is there no responsibility of Government to do something, or they just that they do not want to see what is happening around the globe and how products manufactured in India are rated?

Is this how they want to promote "make in India?"

I am seriously disappointed when it comes to the quality and standards followed here in India !
Hi there,
Indian govt is just about to complete work on the first crash test centre.
http://www.financialexpress.com/arti...es-arai/26818/

They cant really pull up the auto makers without proper test centres and guidelines.
abhishek46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:40   #6
BHPian

Can't really blame the manufacturers here entirely. The fault lies with the buyers as well. Buyers themselves are not interested in knowing whether the car they are going to buy has the necessary safety features. One would rather spend 20k on the audio system but won't spend some 50k extra to get an upper variant with Airbags, ABS. The sheer number of Vxi models over Zxi in Maruti cars is testimony to this. And going by purely basic economics, supply won't match unless demand for such cars is there.

One of the best excuses for not opting for safe cars in India - Kuch bura hona hoga to wese hi hoga, feature weature nahi bacha sakta (If something bad is to happen, it will happen anyway. Features can't save you)
TD_GHY is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

This gives another reason for Hyundai to rest the ageing and slow moving i10.

They already have better products with better build in their lineup and repositioning the Grand i10 is the need of the hour.

They have already rested one of their bread earners and best sellers(Santro) earlier and it is ripe to rest the i10 as well now.
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 15:07   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
They already have better products with better build in their lineup and repositioning the Grand i10 is the need of the hour.
Jumping from the frying pan right into the fire.

Grand i10 has an "unstable" body structure and the lower variants of the Grand i10 does not get airbags or ABS, and hence it is equally unsafe as well. Safety would be not be reason to consider the Grand i10 over the older generation i10.

However, from a product age perspective - yes. Hyundai show stop selling the old car and move on to fresh products. The failure of Eon should be the main reason Hyundai still keeps the i10 for sale in the Indian market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 15:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Hi there,
Indian govt is just about to complete work on the first crash test centre.
http://www.financialexpress.com/arti...es-arai/26818/

They cant really pull up the auto makers without proper test centres and guidelines.
I beg to differ, when the ministry can call the American ambassador to share their concerns on America selling F16 to Pakistan, can't they call the manufacturer to explain why the Indian made i10 is performing so bad in crash test?

I see no reason as to why they will only do something when they have their own test bed? Are international tests not reliable?
i74js is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 15:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I beg to differ, when the ministry can call the American ambassador to share their concerns on America selling F16 to Pakistan, can't they call the manufacturer to explain why the Indian made i10 is performing so bad in crash test?

I see no reason as to why they will only do something when they have their own test bed? Are international tests not reliable?
Well, in fairness, they have been caught napping. They dont have any guidelines at the moment, neither do they have any laws around this. They cant just pick up EU/US crash safety regulations and suddenly blame the car makers for not complying with regulation of a different country.

But of course, what they still can do is to speed up the lethargic speed introduction of crash safety regulation.

And before all of this, many of the big players in car industry would try to lobby hard to delay this by quoting bogus reasons.
abhishek46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 15:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
This gives another reason for Hyundai to rest the ageing and slow moving i10.

They have already rested one of their bread earners and best sellers(Santro) earlier and it is ripe to rest the i10 as well now.
Any idea how the Grand i10 and Xcent do on safety. Aren't those two on a stretched i10 platform? Would they really be any safer?

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2016 at 12:37. Reason: Typo
Old 18th February 2016, 15:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
Any idea how the Grand i10 and Xcent do on safety. Aren't those two on a stretched i10 platform? Would they really be any safer?
Dear Stranger

They may not be really stronger than the older i10 but since they at least have options of ABS and airbags, they may be a little safer than the i10.

Also, I think the sheet metal used in the Xcent/G i10 may have a higher tensile strength than the i10.

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2016 at 12:37. Reason: Quoted post edited
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 16:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Its sad that even with the increased consumer awareness around the need for a stable passenger shell, the automobile companies are continuing to make cars that they know to be unsafe. This reflects on how much respect they have for the life of an Indian.

Sad and shameful that our legal system takes ages to pronounce judgements, otherwise, I'm sure that Hyundai would be slapped with class action suits if this had happened in any developed country.

I think we as informed consumers need to start asking the manufacturers to share the crash testing reports as a part of every new car review.

May I request Team BHP reviewers to keep asking this question relentlessly on every new car launch???

It will really do wonders to Automotive safety in India when these inconvenient questions are asked of their head honchos. For far too long have they taken the Indian consumer for granted, time to make them rethink.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 16:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Stranger

They may not be really stronger than the older i10 but since they at least have options of ABS and airbags, they may be a little safer than the i10.

Also, I think the sheet metal used in the Xcent/G i10 may have a higher tensile strength than the i10.
Well, given the performance of the i10 on the crash test, I certainly hope they have used stronger sheet metal on the Grand i10. As for the ABS and Airbags, ofcourse they are an improvement but the tested i10 already had airbags (and I presume ABS) and hence those probably are not adequate for this vehicle. The basic structure needs to be stronger.
Strangerintown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 16:11   #15
BHPian

Two weeks and two extreme sentiments with respect to safety. Last Week, Made in India Toyota Etios stumped me with it's good crash rating and this week what I had considered as a relatively safe car turns out to be bad even with safety features like the airbags...!!!
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed