Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2016, 16:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 given 1-star adult safety rating by ASEAN NCAP

Grand i10 had scored "ZERO" stars in Latin NCAP test conducted in September 2015.

Hyundai i10 given 1-star adult safety rating by ASEAN NCAP-untitled.jpg

Source:
http://www.ibtimes.co.in/hyundai-gra...sh-test-646589
cbatrody is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 17:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Kudos to Hyundai for degrading safety of passengers; If the export version has performed like this in crash test, what is being sold to Indian customers?
Not a big fan of Hyundai or i10, but everybody seems to be eager to blame India and Indian Government for this. Have they confirmed that the car that was tested was a export vehicle from India? Even if it was, should government keep a watch on what a private company fared in tests in another country? remember these kinds of tests happens in every industry not just auto.

Someone rightly pointed out the case of numbers selling for LXI and VXI and similar low range vehicles of all brands. That point is spot on. In India, right now it is NOT MANDATORY for all vehicles to have ABS or Airbags.
Is that a problem; yes Of course; but can government do it overnight? A big fat NO. Auto Industry is a big deal for the economy and cannot be altered overnight. There are already policies and regulations in place to bring these things as a mandatory feature but it is not going to happen soon. Maybe partially we can say successive governments did not do much to get there faster.

End of the day, the sheer number of people buying cars without safety feature is a testimonial to the fact that most people consider safety as a choice and not as a necessity. Please don't blame government for that!!!
RaghuVis is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 17:09   #18
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Shame on Hyundai for the i10 getting a miserable 1* rating!

What's baffling is that it fares worse by getting one star less on AOP, but does better on COP, compared to the car tested in 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
The car tested was equipped with dual front airbags and the i10 sold in Malaysia is exported from India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Have they confirmed that the car that was tested was a export vehicle from India?
A small correction - the Malaysian i10 is not exported from India. The car tested was made in Malaysia.

At the same time, there is no doubt the Indian i10 would come an absolute cropper (i.e. 0*) in any NCAP test due to the lack of even a single airbag (on any variant now), as demonstrated by the G-NCAP test earlier.

However, the car tested by ASEAN-NCAP in 2015 was made in Malaysia, just like the earlier car that was tested by them in 2012.

The Malaysian market gets made-in-Malaysia i10s. Other ASEAN markets get made-in-India i10s, and this has always been the case:

Hyundai i10 given 1-star adult safety rating by ASEAN NCAP-screenshot_20160218155822.jpg

For me, this test has brought out something even more worrying than the i10 faring very poorly. And that is the difference between an NCAP crash test and the proposed new government-mandated crash test norms for India.

The new government-mandated crash tests adhere to the UN ECE R94 & R95 regulations for frontal and side impacts. And very surprisingly, the Malaysian i10 is certified to be UN ECE R94 & R95 compliant:

Hyundai i10 given 1-star adult safety rating by ASEAN NCAP-screenshot_20160218160051.jpg

As welcome a step as the government mandated crash test norms are, there seems to be a very significant difference between an NCAP's 64-kmph frontal offset crash test and the UN ECE R94 56-kmph frontal offset crash test!

This was also noticeable in the G-NCAP crash test of the Indian i10. The car was crash-tested at both 56-kmph (UN ECE R94 test) and 64-kmph (NCAP standard test). The lack of airbags meant the car failed both tests, but the structure was classified as "stable" in the 56-kmph test and "unstable" in the 64-kmph test:

Hyundai i10 given 1-star adult safety rating by ASEAN NCAP-screenshot_20160218173409.jpg

Clearly, while the government mandated crash tests are welcome and much-needed, only an independent I-NCAP can really establish how safe Indian cars are!

We have a 2009 model i10 1.1 iRDE and the car is 6.5 years old now. I absolutely love this little car, and enjoy driving it. The superb low-end and mid-range driveability from the undersquare, 3 valves/cylinder, 1.1 litre four-pot, coupled with the light, lively and direct EPS (despite lacking in feedback), small dimensions and tight turning circle make it a hoot to drive in everyday driving conditions. Conversely, it doesn't feel that comfortable once you're out on the highway. The engine runs out of breath at higher rpms, the stock 155/80 R13 tyres feel inadequate, the soft rear suspension bobs up-and-down on undulations and the tall boy design makes it susceptible to cross-winds.

I would like to keep this car for many more years, as it surely can last long in a very reliable manner, but the safety aspect keeps worrying me each time it is taken out. Ours is an Era variant that doesn't even have airbags. The G-NCAP test showed how poorly this fared, and this always remains at the back of your mind.

Last edited by RSR : 18th February 2016 at 17:36.
RSR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 17:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
Any idea how the Grand i10 and eXcent does on safety. Aren't those two on a stretched i10 platform? Would they really be any safer?
Indian Grand i10 has been tested by Global NCAP + Latin NCAP and awarded zero stars. Structure is also rated unstable.
DevilsCry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 17:57   #20
BHPian

Is it the same case for I20? Considering these NCAP rating i did not purchase Grand I10 as my city car and purchased Elite I20 with 2 Airbags + ABS. I hope that would be more safer.
Old 18th February 2016, 18:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
Is it the same case for I20? Considering these NCAP rating i did not purchase Grand I10 as my city car and purchased Elite I20 with 2 Airbags + ABS. I hope that would be more safer.
Well, i20 has received 4 STARS in EURO NCAP Testing.

Hyundai i10 given 1-star adult safety rating by ASEAN NCAP-untitled.jpg
cbatrody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 18:04   #22
BHPian

I am sure that we can have a NCAP style testing center in India and make it mandatory that all cars sold in the country have to meet with a certain set norm and only a certain rating and above can be sold !!

I am also a strong advocate of the rating sticker being pasted on the car in as mandatory and the buyer be aware of what he is getting into !! If we can implement this in some form for AC's and Refrigerators why not for cars ?? despite a low rating if the buyer is willing to pay - so be it- at the very least he is making a informed choice - in the current situation the buyer is not even aware of such a rating and how many prospective buyers even know that such testing exists !!

If we can move the bar from just how much to how well - Maybe all of us would be a much better served lot !

Srini
Srini76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 18:06   #23
BHPian

Safety was the primary reason which prompted me to sell our i10 within 2 years.
I think structural rigidity would be the last thing on anyone's mind, I wouldn't want to crash in the first place, but hey our brakes are bad enough and will make sure you test our rigidity as well.
One crash and saved by the skin of our teeth later we had decided it was definitely bye bye i10 for us.

That makes me think are there any kind of tests for determining the braking quality, or are these left to the manufacturers to decide what kind of brakes they provide.
Trojan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 18:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
I

I am also a strong advocate of the rating sticker being pasted on the car in as mandatory and the buyer be aware of what he is getting into !! If we can implement this in some form for AC's and Refrigerators why not for cars ??
+1 for the Rating suggestion. There should be Safety ratings on cars on similar lines of those found in electrical appliances. It has been observed that people are now aware of those ratings in electrical appliances and in most cases, opt for ones that consume the least amount of electricity. I believe once such a system is in place, the awareness of people will increase too and they would start demanding safety features in vehicles. And manufacturers will comply. We already are seeing a trend of manufacturers beginning to offer safety features at least as an optional feature in most variants. If the system is implemented, it can further accelerate the process.
TD_GHY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 18:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
However, from a product age perspective - yes. Hyundai show stop selling the old car and move on to fresh products. The failure of Eon should be the main reason Hyundai still keeps the i10 for sale in the Indian market.
The old i10 is actually still sold to cover all bases in the small cars area.
Eon covers the 0.8 and 1.0 L market, old i10 covers the 1.1L market, and Gi10 serves the 1.2 L market.
Old 18th February 2016, 19:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
Well, i20 has received 4 STARS in EURO NCAP Testing.
Dont go by the EURO NCAP ratings, even the i10 scored pretty well there !

http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/hyundai/i10/15761

and Grand i10 (new i10 in Europa)

http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/hyundai/i10/7868

I wonder why 64 kmph cannot be a norm, when two vehicles collide head-on on highways the relative speeds must easily be above 60 kmph.

Anyway, I've started losing hope in the system, I guess its up to us now to select from a few better offerings as far as safety is concerned.
NiInJa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 19:24   #27
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The old i10 is actually still sold to cover all bases in the small cars area.
Eon covers the 0.8 and 1.0 L market, old i10 covers the 1.1L market, and Gi10 serves the 1.2 L market.
I think they should sell the old i10 (with a CNG kit) only as a "taxi special" variant henceforth. This can be sold as a city cab to Mumbai's black-and-yellow taxi operators (as the Santro has been discontinued) and others like them. Sales to private buyers should be discontinued henceforth.

The Grand i10 with the 69 PS, 12-valve, 1.0 Kappa 3-pot engine can replace the old i10, at least for private buyers.

More importantly, the Grand i10 & Xcent need dual airbags to be made standard across the range, both in India and in overseas markets. And the Eon needs at least a standard driver airbag across the range.

The stubborn fools at Hyundai are doing immeasurable damage to themselves by still selling cars without standard airbags in some markets.

Their attitude towards safety (especially that of their economy cars) in developing markets is simply shameful and apalling!

This is in stark contrast to their efforts to strive and earn the highest safety ratings for every model in the developed markets.

They may say all their cars meet all the norms in the markets in which they're sold, but that's just a shabby way of covering up their disgusting attitude toward safety in the developing markets.

A crying shame!

Last edited by RSR : 18th February 2016 at 19:26.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 23:23   #28
BHPian

The government has to act fast and implement some crash test guidelines, I feel. Indian made cars already have the reputation of being tin cans and if this goes on, demand in major export markets like Brazil etc could be hit.

Making ABS and front airbags standard should be seriously considered. But none of this will help if the structure of the car itself is weak.

I'd say that most cars north of 15 lakhs are well built (especially the Europeans). But unfortunately, it is the cars that are >15L that are the most in number.
Old 19th February 2016, 18:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

I'm like this and . But hardly surprised.
Unless manufacturers are made to implement safety standards, we can't expect the situation to improve.

Indian govt will make us wait till 2017 to get new crash test norms in place. Till then, why can't we get older Euro norms and crash tests performed outside India?

Let's just pray all things come in place soon and we get safer cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
When in case of VW emission violations, the Government machinery took some action and started reviewing the emission performance of VW cars sold in India, why nothing happens to the manufacturers who's cars are performing like this when tested by international agencies?
VW broke a law. Hyundai didn't.
Their cars in India will comply with the local safety requirements, but not international ones. The problem is that the government hasn't implemented new safety standards for maybe a couple of decades.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 18:39   #30
BHPian

I remember a guy in a Hyundai showroom in Bangalore bargaining with sales man for a better deal. One of the points was like 'air bags..? why, I dont drive that fast or do I take it on long drives.... so give me offers on lower segment'.

Isn't this the mentality of regular car buyers? I hope enough safety education is imparted in the general public so everyone is aware of the absolute necessity of safety features.

Z
zavegur is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks