Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2016, 17:31   #1
BHPian

Honda recalls City, Jazz and Civic for Airbag defect

Honda has recalled 57676 units of City, Jazz and Civic models for reported driver side airbags as per the report in TOI.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/51057033.cms

Appreciate the fact that Honda has gone ahead to get this done and given safety of the driver a priority. But cant issues like these which relate to the safety be taken care of at the time of manufacturing the car? Also, as per the article, these cars were manufactured between 2012-13. Its been almost 4 years now which I believe is a long time to realise a problem with the car.
farooq817 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 17:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Honda recalls 57,676 cars over faulty airbag inflators

Honda has issued a recall notice for 57,676 vehicles across the country to replace drive-side airbag inflators. The previous generation City, Jazz and Civic are a part of this recall.

The cars affected include:
• 49,572 units of the City produced between January 2012 and June 2013
• 7,504 units of the Jazz produced between February 2012 and February 2013
• 600 units of the Civic produced between January 2012 and August 2012

The replacement will be carried out at no charge to the customers across Honda dealerships in a phased manner, starting from February 20, 2016. The company will communicate with the owners of the affected cars directly. Alternately, a customer can check whether his vehicle is a part of the recall exercise by submitting its 17 character Vehicle Identification Number here.

Last edited by S2!!! : 19th February 2016 at 17:44.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 17:39   #3
BHPian

re: Honda recalls City, Jazz and Civic for Airbag defect

I don't know the details of this recall but airbags are manufactured by vendors, it's like a tyre. Also the part cannot be tested, as it is one time use only, can't blame Honda for that.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 18:38   #4
BHPian

My Jazz Dec 2012 model has tested positive. I always had a hunch. Strange thing is the option to select dealer does not show location. In Mumbai there are almost all dealers at multiple locations. I service my car with Linkway Honda at Kanjur Marg facility since that is right next to my home. But I don't know which Linkway Honda I selected. The drop down showed 3 Linkway Honda dealers. Let's see when do I get a call the message says after 20 Feb. I may just end up calling a dealer to fix it. Will keep all posted.
naikameya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 19:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
My Jazz Dec 2012 model has tested positive
Mine is a Nov-2012 Honda City. I visited Honda Website and entered my Chassis no. Got a message "Product update in your vehicle is not applicable".

I would like to know where did you check the details?

MODS: Please merge this thread, as we have an existing thread on Honda Recalls for Faulty Airbags.

Last edited by keeprevving : 19th February 2016 at 19:17.
Old 19th February 2016, 19:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Mine is a Nov-2012 Honda City. I visited Honda Website and entered my Chassis no. Got a message "Product update in your vehicle is not applicable".

I would like to know where did you check the details?
The link is here
https://hondacarindia.com/PUD5VG/6ZV...erInquiry.aspx

The content seems identical to your link but the url is slightly different.

Last edited by dozer : 19th February 2016 at 19:18.
dozer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 12:12   #7
BHPian

This is seriously getting frustrating! Does this mean there is absolutely no control to check quality from vendors manufacturing such a critical component?

Whatever the continuous improvement or any other lingo one uses, these are stuff you need to get it right the first time!
Old 20th February 2016, 12:49   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda recalls City, Jazz and Civic for Airbag defect

The bad news from Takata airbags just doesn't seem to stop .

I fully support recalls though . Best to carry out corrective action once a defect is identified. Better late than never.

However, I'm at a loss for words as to why Honda unfailingly announces its recalls on Friday evenings only. Weekend website traffic is lower, and I'm guessing newspaper circulation also dives on Sat / Sun.

This recall was on a Saturday.

This was on a Friday.

This was Friday too.

And another Friday recall.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 09:07   #9
BHPian

Why this 3-4 year delay for the recalls? Better late than never I guess! But atleast some of these vehicles must have met with accidents in this time period. What exactly happened with them? It's scary to think that way. Does faulty airbags mean it won't deploy at all or is it like a 10% chance of not getting deployed? Or is it like a precautionary measure to find any faults if at all they exist!
Sebzgeo89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 18:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

When I visited the HASS last time, I saw a lot of crashed cars at the service centre. All of them (depending on the crash) had their airbags deployed . What I know about this recall is that there is no issue regarding the deployment, but there might be some metallic particles in the inflator unit which may cause injuries.
Hence, the recall is to replace the inflators only and not the airbags.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
When I visited the HASS last time, I saw a lot of crashed cars at the service centre. All of them (depending on the crash) had their airbags deployed . What I know about this recall is that there is no issue regarding the deployment, but there might be some metallic particles in the inflator unit which may cause injuries.
Hence, the recall is to replace the inflators only and not the airbags.

Regards,
Saket.
Is the inflator a separate component or integrated with the airbag? In that case why only driver side inflator is being replaced why not both?

What I remember about this issue is that, there are chances that the inflator would rust and the rust particles may fly off as shards in event of activation of airbag injuring the occupant or puncturing the airbag.
Old 22nd February 2016, 18:01   #12
BHPian

I have got an appointment for tomorrow for my Jazz with Linkway Honda. Strangely the lady over phone said that their system does not say the recall is applicable to my car though I got a yes from weblink. But without any hesitation she asked me to inform the same to the SA when I drop my car.
Got appointment on very short notice. I am of the lucky few since I have one service center right next to my office and another one right next to my home.
Let me know in case anybody wants me to ask any specific questions or make any notes.
Old 23rd February 2016, 01:01   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
Is the inflator a separate component or integrated with the airbag? In that case why only driver side inflator is being replaced why not both?
Honda identified the impacted units based on their research and inputs from Takata and correlating that to the batches affected. I suggest you may keep checking the status. I have a firm belief that honda might have identified all impacted models and units at once but they are recalling cars in a phased manner so as to prabably control the mayhem that may be caused. The database is continuously updated and cars that may not show up at the first instance have been known to be shown as affected later as per the experience from the last recall.

Regards
Saket.
Old 27th November 2016, 10:23   #14
BHPian

My Honda Jazz had its Driver side airbag replaced in the 2015 recall. When I checked again in this recall, my passenger side airbag was impacted. I registered in July 2016, & received a recall registration number. Even after numerous follow-ups & complaints they have not replaced my passenger side airbag till date. Extremely frustrated with Honda. Any suggestions on what I can do?
Old 27th November 2016, 10:36   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
My Honda Jazz had its Driver side airbag replaced in the 2015 recall. When I checked again in this recall, my passenger side airbag was impacted. I registered in July 2016, & received a recall registration number. Even after numerous follow-ups & complaints they have not replaced my passenger side airbag till date. Extremely frustrated with Honda. Any suggestions on what I can do?
Takata has been doing this recall globally. Recalled units are in huge numbers and it would take years for Takata to manufacture new units. Looks like difficult times for Takata and literally in a crisis. I am sure Honda wouldn't have received enough supplies from Takata.

Most Viewed