Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2016, 18:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is Maruti's announcement of Optional ABS & Airbags just on paper?

I've recently started working in a Maruti dealership and even I'm saddened to say no proper brochures, information is given to the Sales Advisors regarding the (O) variants. Most people don't care for the airbags and the abs, and those who do demand are put off by the long waiting times. Ultimately, if you put your foot down about the (O) variant, they will accept your booking, but be ready to get strong armed by the SA.

Maruti- makes cars as per demand
Dealerships- want to sell cars in their stock rather than take booking for less frequently sold variants.

I think that a small difference of 9k is not much. The simple way to get more people to opt for the option variants is to include the 9k cost in the price list by default and ask the customer if he wants to get the non airbags version. This way, the customer has to opt for the non airbag version rather than opt in.

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2016 at 11:31. Reason: MS = Maruti. No acronyms please
blackwasp is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 19:41   #17
BHPian

I'm sorry if I sound cynical, but do these entry level Maruti's have sufficient structural rigidity and efficient crumple zones? Without these, like the salesman mentioned, life would depend on "luck" and not "airbags".
Guru_DTSi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 20:13   #18
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
"Why make it Optional?", It was a Rs 9000 cost addition, why not make it standard? The consensus was that the (O) variant should be the default one a customer goes for and if he/she does not, it is his/her problem and not that of the companies. Fair Statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I think that a small difference of 9k is not much. The simple way to get more people to opt for the option variants is to include the 9k cost in the price list by default and ask the customer if he wants to get the non airbags version. This way, the customer has to opt for the non airbag version rather than opt in.
I'm still wondering why you'll mentioned Rs.9000 as the difference for the (O) variants.
Listed here are base prices (Bangalore) of the variants, taken from the price list that I have (these are March 2016 prices after the latest hikes):
Wagon R Lxi Met 4,26,959
Wagon R Lxi (O) Met 4,60,502
Difference in Base Price = 33,543

Wagon R Vxi Met 4,52,471
Wagon R Vxi (O) Met 4,85,695
Difference in Base Price = 33,224

Wagon R Vxi AMT Met 4,99,500
Wagon R Vxi (O) AMT Met 5,33,951
Difference in Base Price = 34,451

*Met - Metallic paint finish. Considered only Metallic paint finishes of all variants for an apple to apple comparison!

As you can see, the difference for the (O) optional safety pack works out to about 33-34k, what am I missing ?

In other news, I visited the stock yard of one of the dealers and out of 10 Wagon R's they had, 3 were Vxi AMT and rest were all manual transmission Vxi, not a single Vxi(O) - details here

Last edited by NPV : 14th March 2016 at 20:19.
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 20:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
So, all in all, looks like it was a marketing gimmick to silence the critics of safety of their cars. If they continue these tactics, this has to be taken up with different consumer fora. They will get some sense only when threatened with a kick in the pants of legal action.
That's the reason I never consider buying, and suggest anyone buying, any Maruti any time. The company, along with Hyundai, was a mass market car maker since the times our car market was a new born infant. What would today's car market be, had Maruti sold Alto LXi with ABS and 2 Airbags since the year 2000? They could've been righteous and manufactured their cars having these equipment from the base variant of their cars as their "gratitude towards customers", and educated their customers on safe driving. However they chose to set aside safety and bring in "leather seats" and "velvet padded cup holders" to increase the aesthetics. One may defend Maruti by saying that safety equipment were not mandatory during those times, but then leather seats were not mandatory too.

I read some outrageous responses given by Maruti salesmen to BHPians on inquiring about the 'O' variants. Maruti knows, there sales aren't going to take any kind of hit by performing such gimmicks. The general buyer is mostly unaware of this 'O' variant, and is sadly unwilling to look for anything else.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 20:18   #20
BHPian

i booked a celerio amt zxi option variant in chennai on 10th march.

I was originally interested in wagon r/ stingray vxi amt option variant only.

However after contacting nearly a dozen maruti dealers, realized that it was like chasing a mirage.

Almost all dealers mentioned that they have not been able to source a single wagon r amt option variant since the December announcement.

Finally managed to zero in on one dealer who claimed to have a celerio amt zxi option variant in transit since march 8.

Booked by paying a token amount of 5k, even though this dealership is in the other end of town.

Discount was only 15k, whereas regular wagon r/celerio amt booking would have resulted in 30k discount.

So it is true that getting an option abs airbag variant in chennai at least is an uphill task.
dvprasad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 20:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'm still wondering why you'll mentioned Rs.9000 as the difference for the (O) variants.
Sorry, I mentioned 9k as the post previous to mine has mentioned that. Thankyou for pointing out the prices. Breeza has a difference of 13k, for the option and the non option variant (according to the price list given to me).
Old 14th March 2016, 21:17   #22
BHPian

It is like this. If you insist that Maruti give say a Swift LXI ABS to you, all you have to do is book it and deny any alternatives given by dealer. More often we think with heart and in the hurry to get car home at the earliest will agree to the non ABS model. If they do not then you are just an email away from Maruti isn't it. I am mighty glad that its available as an option to me as a buyer. If it takes time to deliver, so be it.
manishkapadia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 21:30   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Listed here are base prices (Bangalore) of the variants, taken from the price list that I have (these are March 2016 prices after the latest hikes):
Wagon R Lxi Met 4,26,959
Wagon R Lxi (O) Met 4,60,502
Difference in Base Price = 33,543

Wagon R Vxi Met 4,52,471
Wagon R Vxi (O) Met 4,85,695
Difference in Base Price = 33,224

Wagon R Vxi AMT Met 4,99,500
Wagon R Vxi (O) AMT Met 5,33,951
Difference in Base Price = 34,451

As you can see, the difference for the (O) optional safety pack works out to about 33-34k, what am I missing ?
You are correct. The 9000 was the difference for the Single Airbag (O) variant of the Alto. I guess I did not mention that clearly in the opening post. Will request an edit. The difference for 2 airbags and ABS as you mentioned is more in the range of 20-35K.

Interestingly it is not consistent across the products (Even where it is clear that the (O) variant only adds the Airbags and ABS and not anything else). From the snapshots for the Swift and Dzire from a couple of dealers website, the difference is more in the line of ~25K. The (O) in the cheaper Wagon R seems to be more expensive.

Is Maruti's announcement of Optional ABS & Airbags just on paper?-prathamprice.jpg

Is Maruti's announcement of Optional ABS & Airbags just on paper?-kalyaniprice.jpg

Quote:
I've recently started working in a MS dealership and even I'm saddened to say no proper brochures, information is given to the Sales Advisors regarding the (O) variants.
Interesting point, and it reflects in the snapshots of the price lists above from 2 dealers. They are not consistent and misses variants that should be there. The 2nd price list misses most of the (O) variants.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 21:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I mentioned 9k as the post previous to mine has mentioned that. Thankyou for pointing out the prices. Breeza has a difference of 13k, for the option and the non option variant (according to the price list given to me).
Brezza all variants come with Driver Airbag. 13k difference is for the following.

a. ABS with EBD
b. Co-Driver Airbag
c. Front Seat Pre-tensioner & Force Limiter
mrbaddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 22:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Brezza all variants come with Driver Airbag. 13k difference is for the following.

a. ABS with EBD
b. Co-Driver Airbag
c. Front Seat Pre-tensioner & Force Limiter
Yup. Thats correct. Only the Zdi and Zdi+ have those standard. But the main question is why keep even that optional ? Couldn't Maruti just give them standard across all the variants ? I'm sure the targeted car buyer for Brezza won't mind the added cost.
Old 14th March 2016, 22:02   #26
BHPian

I hope Maruti doesn't do this to Vitara Brezza at least since I feel a lot of buyers will be keen on LDi(o) and VDi(o) for the additional safety it offers, and one doesn't have to consider going for the ZDi just for the safety features as it was the case a year or two before.

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2016 at 11:34. Reason: Typo
Old 15th March 2016, 10:56   #27
BHPian

Its only with this thread that i came to know that Maruti is offering ABS as an option in all variants accross its lineup. Until now my biggest turnoff to Maruti products was their ignorance to safety features for non top variant. Many competitors have started offering ABS since some time but Maruti was just not willing to offer some safety to us. I felt content after initially knowing this offering from Maruti. But after going through the entire thread what i could infer is Maruti has done just for sake of critiques and they still don't have any genuine interest in offering us some safety. Although I will myself check the situation at a nearby showroom. But it is disheartening to know that for a brand like Maruti which has emotional sentiments attached with a larger population in our country is doing it just for the sake it.
In my opinion they should have increased the prices and offered it as standard equipment across all variants.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 15th March 2016 at 10:58.
Old 15th March 2016, 12:37   #28
BHPian

Although a good move by Maruti, at least in cars above a particular amount (say from Swift onward), there should be no compromise or (O) packs. It should just be compulsory.

But then again, as a fellow member pointed out, supply from vendors could be the issue and perhaps once that is sorted out, we will see more and more of the (O) packs being eliminated and safety packs being standard across the board.

I believe (rather, I sincerely hope) that's the vision of Maruti and not to have some cheap marketing publicity by showcasing (O) packs.
Old 15th March 2016, 16:23   #29
BHPian

Of course Maruti, like any other auto manufacturer, and its various dealers, like private profit centers, are fully entitled to and justified in producing and selling, as well as pushing only those models which 'sell'. Why should Maruti produce 1000 units of a particular model complete with all safety features, only to see them rust in the stockyard with no or very few takers. Even then, when a consumer goes to the dealership, what are the odds of them getting the color / trim of their choice out of the existing stock? And, if the stock is left unsold for a long time, besides adding to inventory costs, customers would be less inclined to buy lets say a 12 month old car. Frankly, if I were to go buy a new car today complete with all safety features, I would choose to wait 3 months for the manufacturer to deliver me the car of my choice, rather not accept a 6 or 9 month old vehicle which has been lying in dealer's backyard.

I think there is a clear lesson here. All the posts I have read, one fact becomes apparent. Customers need to insist on presence of safety features despite obstacles created by dealerships; authorities, be it the auto manufacturers, dealers or the government bodies are least interested in anything related to public safety. As a customer, the buck stops with us. There is a growing number of customers who are becoming safety conscious however the vast majority still just doesnt care. Yes, certain stimulus or incentive is needed to provide a push in that direction - create Demand, if you may, and supply will follow.

That stimuli or incentives can easily be implemented by the government rather than follow a tedious, multi year process of passing and implementing regulations. An effort made to increase the demand for safer cars is bound to be quicker, rather putting pressure on supply side (by passing regulations). Additionally, what we need to keep in mind is regulations can be self defeating, there are numerous examples of how well intentioned regulations have failed to yield tangible results. Whereas an investment to create higher demand will surely create enough incentive for manufacturers to produce safer cars without any kind of regulation at all.

So, simply put, if a buyer cares only about the price, or 'kitna deti hai' or the bling features; where majority of the 4 wheeler buyers belong anyway, the value proposition of safety features needs to be translated from 'safety' to 'financial gains'; those 'financial gains' can either be perceived or actual, it doesn't make a difference as long as there are 'financial gains'. Some examples are -

A. Increasing registration period for vehicles which have ABS + Seat belts + EBD, from 15 years to 18 years lets say. This would mean that the resale value of the vehicle will be higher. So, price paid for addl. safety features by the first buyer is offset by higher resale value.

B. Higher insurance premium for vehicles with no safety features. The smaller hatchbacks command a major volume share; naturally this band is highly price sensitive. Put a Rs. 5,000 premium on Insurance policy for the unsafe vehicles and suddenly you change the game.

C. Provide lower end VIP numbers to vehicles with all safety features free of cost. Sure shot success in brand conscious regions of the country.

Just my 2 cents!
rattanw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 16:41   #30
BHPian

Making the safety kit available, even for entry level cars is a welcome move by Maruti, I hope other manufacturers also follow suit.
People who had cars without these at-least have an option now..

However, selling those to customers who are not bothered (majority of them..) is a completely different story.
Safety is not the number 1 priority of buyers and until that changes, things wont take a turn for good,

Government mandating minimum safety feature like ABS, 2 Airbags for any new car manufactured in India and force the manufacturers to offers such kits to older vehicles and mandate the people - by law and strict enforcement, to equip these will a game changer,

off recent environment/pollution has made big inroads in the mind space of general public and Govt., however Safety has still not made the cut, Hope this changes soon,
Hemant_Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed