Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2016, 18:51   #1
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Driver airbag now standard on the Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent, optional on the Eon!

Hyundai have made a driver airbag available as a standard feature across the range on the Grand i10 & Xcent now!

A driver airbag has also been made available as an option across the range on the Eon (apart from the barebones D-Lite variant)! It was (and still is) available as standard on the Sportz variant.

The Xcent already had standard ABS, so it now gets a driver airbag & ABS standard across the range {with the SX & SX(O) variants getting a passenger airbag as well}.

Additionally, the Sportz variant of Grand i10 also gets a passenger airbag!

Also, the Grand i10's Asta variant has been discontinued, leaving the car with only four variants per engine now - Era, Magna, Sportz & Asta(O).

Driver airbag now standard on the Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent, optional on the Eon!-screenshot_20160411191202.jpg

Source: Hyundai's India website (desktop edition)

Last edited by RSR : 11th April 2016 at 19:14.
RSR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 19:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see manufacturers making airbags standard. Few years back there was atleast 60-80k difference between variants with airbags and those without. Now maruti is providing passenger airbag and ABS as option with just 13k extra. It is due to heavy localisation, I believe. Also what I have noticed is, few years back most of the cars had Bosch ABS(imported). Grand i10, Baleno all use Chinese make ABS now.
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 19:19   #3
BHPian

re: Driver airbag now standard on the Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent, optional on the Eon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Hyundai have made a driver airbag available as a standard feature across the range on the Grand i10 & Xcent now!
I guess the manufacturers have realized that shortchanging Indian car buyers with regards to safety may not be feasible, hence this change is a welcome sign. Forums like T-BHP have done their part in educating the road users regarding the mighty huge importance of safety features and the car buyers also realizing the same.
Long live competition and exposure!
MDED is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 19:53   #4
BHPian

re: Driver airbag now standard on the Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent, optional on the Eon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Good to see manufacturers making airbags standard. Few years back there was atleast 60-80k difference between variants with airbags and those without. Now maruti is providing passenger airbag and ABS as option with just 13k extra. It is due to heavy localisation, I believe. Also what I have noticed is, few years back most of the cars had Bosch ABS(imported). Grand i10, Baleno all use Chinese make ABS now.
The previous difference between a model with ABS and airbags and one without,may have been so high in the past because only the top variants had them. One had to pay extra for other goodies as well.
For example, earlier you had to get a zxi or zdi swift for airbags and abs but now even the base variant has them for a small premium.
Old 11th April 2016, 20:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
The previous difference between a model with ABS and airbags and one without,may have been so high in the past because only the top variants had them. One had to pay extra for other goodies as well.
For example, earlier you had to get a zxi or zdi swift for airbags and abs but now even the base variant has them for a small premium.
If you remember the old swift days, there used to be a variant VDI with ABS which was around 20-25k more than VDI. Now maruti is offering ABS + passenger airbag for a small premium of 13K. My 2011 SX4 uses Bosch ABS while 2015 Baleno has some unbranded chinese make. It's good to see safety features getting standard anyways. I am just saying that it is possible because of lesser costs for safety package now than before.
Cheers!
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 20:39   #6
BHPian

I guess Airbag isn't localized yet or even it's made in very few specific markets (one of them I know is Japan) & from there it is exported to world over.

Since, now it is so much widely used in our market, plus with keeping 'Make in India' campaign in mind, I think its best time for its local production here, since for many goods even their manufacturers have opted for India as a manufacturing site, thanks to favourable conditions here. Similarly ABS unit manufacturing can also be brought here now.

As India is one of the largest automobile manufacturing markets, so these localizations will definitely add up to the benefits to both manufacturers as well as customers as being low-cost production items will boost their usage + replacement. Many local garages either repair them or replace them with non-functional ones (i.e installing ordinary horn-pad for base variants instead of installing OEM functional Airbag unit).

Its a very good move that 0.8 litre segment is getting an Airbag too, though optional. Dear manufacturers, please don't make customers wait even a bit longer as compared to Non-Airbag variants in terms of availability; more inventory of Airbag equipped variants can be shipped to dealers than Non-Airbag ones & even dealers should try to promote these variants rather than few compulsory Chrome packs or other useless accessory packages.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2016 at 11:17. Reason: Language
CRtorquefan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th April 2016, 20:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

@ CRtorquefan

Most of the airbag components are already localised buddy. I had met with very bad accident in my sx4 and entire airbags plus seat belt assembly was changed. Most of the parts were MGP. Only 2 components were SGP. My baleno gets airbags made by Takata, made in India. Stickers on airbag sensors, seat belts confirm the same.
Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2016 at 11:18. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 20:51   #8
AYP
Senior - BHPian

A good step by Hyundai India.
However I do wish that they had offered dual airbags as standard on the Xcent and the Grand i10 and optional dual airbags for the Eon, even if it meant asking for a bit more. I am pretty sure that safety conscious people and those opting for safety features(in the Eon) wouldn't have mind paying a bit more for an additional airbag.
I have the same complaint with the Tiago, they could have charged 10k extra and added ABS to the option pack or could have rather given ABS in place of better fabric upholstery.
Old 11th April 2016, 21:00   #9
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2016 at 11:19.
Old 11th April 2016, 21:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I thought airbag components are imported. I understood about the localisation part during accident repairs of sx4. Body shop manager showed me part numbers of airbag components and most of them were MGP (which has a M in part number). Entire airbag assembly with seat belt pre tensioners of baleno is made by Takata India. Manufacturers are able to make safety features standard due to localisation and sourcing cheaper products from China. I am posting the pics of pre tensioner equipped seat belts of baleno.
Attached Thumbnails
Driver airbag now standard on the Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent, optional on the Eon!-1460391198113.jpg  

Driver airbag now standard on the Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent, optional on the Eon!-1460391209236.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2016 at 11:19. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 22:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti does that but I heard that they wouldn't deliver a car with such options on time or would come up with some story and make buyer get the next model ( like LXi + abs buyer etc will become a VXi one).

I guess Renault India started the trend of airbag as option with Pulse and then Kwid too came with it for 12k extra.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 23:29   #12
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems to be a result of competition from Tiageo from TATA to get some value back into the offering.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 01:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Maruti does that but I heard that they wouldn't deliver a car with such options on time or would come up with some story and make buyer get the next model ( like LXi + abs buyer etc will become a VXi one).

I guess Renault India started the trend of airbag as option with Pulse and then Kwid too came with it for 12k extra.
Ya I too read about it buddy. I was told by sales manager of local dealership that inspite of offering safety package, there is less demand for those variants and production is low which translates into increased waiting period. When a company introduces new variants, they take the feedback of initial response and set the production capacity accordingly. I am not sure to believe this or not.
Old 12th April 2016, 07:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 2011 SX4 uses Bosch ABS while 2015 Baleno has some unbranded chinese make.
Dr. Naren

Suzuki uses ABS from only two suppliers - Bosch and Continental (may be Advics in some models, but not in Indian market). Both are German suppliers and have almost equal share in electronic brake systems globally. The Baleno uses Continental ABS units (I work as a vehicle test engineer for Continental Japan, so I know). It is definitely not 'some unbranded chinese make' as you think.

http://www.continental-automotive.co...omotive_de_en/

Cheers
Viju is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 09:03   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Dr. Naren

Suzuki uses ABS from only two suppliers - Bosch and Continental (may be Advics in some models, but not in Indian market). Both are German suppliers and have almost equal share in electronic brake systems globally. The Baleno uses Continental ABS units (I work as a vehicle test engineer for Continental Japan, so I know). It is definitely not 'some unbranded chinese make' as you think.

http://www.continental-automotive.co...omotive_de_en/

Cheers
Thanks for the information buddy. I couldn't see any brand name on ABS unit. It was mentioned only made in China.

Most Viewed