Team-BHP - Chevrolet Sail scores 0 stars in Latin NCAP crash tests
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Chevrolet Sail scores 0 stars in Latin NCAP crash tests (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/175083-chevrolet-sail-scores-0-stars-latin-ncap-crash-tests.html)

The Chevrolet Sail sedan has scored zero stars for adult occupant protection and two stars for child occupant protection in the crash tests conducted by Latin New Car Assessment Programme (NCAP).

Chevrolet Sail scores 0 stars in Latin NCAP crash tests-od0916csa1_oncrash-1.jpg

Chevrolet Sail scores 0 stars in Latin NCAP crash tests-od0916csa1_oncrash-2.jpg

The test car was manufactured in China and assembled in Colombia. It was not equipped with airbags and Latin NCAP rated the structure of the car as unstable and incapable of withstanding further load.

Chevrolet Sail scores 0 stars in Latin NCAP crash tests-od0916csa1_oncrash-3.jpg

Chevrolet Sail scores 0 stars in Latin NCAP crash tests-od0916csa1_oncrash-4.jpg

In the frontal crash test, the driver registered high risk of life threatening injuries to the head and chest. The passenger's chest showed compression close to the allowed limit. As a result of the impact sustained by the driver in the frontal crash test, Latin NCAP did not see the need for a side impact test to be conducted.

Chevrolet Sail scores 0 stars in Latin NCAP crash tests-od0916csa1_oncrash-5.jpg

Chevrolet Sail scores 0 stars in Latin NCAP crash tests-od0916csa1_oncrash-6.jpg

The Sail comes with ISOFIX mounts for child restraint systems that were used for the test that in combination with the child seats, offered a reasonable level of protection for the child occupants. However, the car does not have 3 point seatbelts in all positions, which prevented it from earning additional points.

Chevrolet Sail scores 0 stars in Latin NCAP crash tests-od0916csa1_oncrash-7.jpg

Chevrolet Sail scores 0 stars in Latin NCAP crash tests-od0916csa1_oncrash-8.jpg

In India, safety features such as ABS+EBD, load limiter + pre-tensioner equipped front seatbelts and a driver airbag are available on the LS ABS and LT ABS variants of the Chevrolet Sail. Additionally, the LT ABS version gets a passenger airbag as well. All variants get a driver seatbelt reminder.

<I have no intention to hurt any Chevrolet Car owner's feeling - just an independent and personal view>

Sigh! The only Jewel missing in the Crown for the Chevvy Superstar.
Let's spend a minute understanding what unique does a Chevrolet car offer (in India, except Cruze).

They don't have great Service backup, they are not performance monsters, they don't offer best in class mileage, they don't compete with the best in build quality and are not safe either! And then what is GM doing to improve its brand image (and market share)?

Other foreign brands trying to increase their market share (Toyota,VW,Fiat, Ford etc) are trying things out. Regular product updates, new launches, launching various trims which are more than cosmetic, Appropriate Marketing to name a few. Then comes the most challenging aspect: "reading the customer's mind". Some are master of this (Maruti, Hyundai), and some are trying really hard (Ford, Renault). Now compare with GM. They are trying their level best to be at the bottom of the sales chart, and there isn't a sign of improvement in "sarkaari daftar" type attitude. There is absolutely no news/noise from GM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zinda (Post 3952987)
They don't have great....

....and are not safe either! And then what is GM doing to improve its brand image (and market share)?

I completely agree with you about GM not putting any sincere effort into their Indian operations, just wanted to correct you; when you say their cars aren't safe, I think it is only the chinese products like the Sail, Enjoy etc. Otherwise if you look at the TrailBlazer, Captiva and Cruze, while the Cruze does not offer much in terms of safety (maybe a couple more airbags than a Corolla), it is still an extremely safe structure. Oh and the little Beat, is the only small car to pass the IIHS's stringent small frontal overlap crash test. All other superminis including the Fiat 500, Honda Jazz, Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Verna failed this test miserably, but the Beat performed pretty admirably, punching much higher than its class when it comes to safe structural rigidity.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...new-iihs-crash

Was watching BBC topgear episode on Chinese made cars, pretty hilarious if you ask me, Clarkson and May did a frontal impact test at crawling speeds :D
Most of the Chinese made cars (they claim) have questionable safety reputation. GM SAIC is no exception.

Thanks to us Indians for showing least interest in these Sail twins, just don't deserve it.
Having said that, I am curious to know how the Indian Beat fares as I 'feel' it is sturdier than others.

May be these cars can be marketed as special edition for reducing Chinese population, it’s sad to see a brand like GM going into history like this. It’s hard to understand what is the top management doing and future looks dark for employees in India.

Cars not equipped with airbags usually get a score of 0/1 in NCAP crash tests. This score increases to minimum 3 with front airbags(most of the cars). But I have seen few cars which failed tests miserably even with airbags. Hope airbags become standard in India by next year. Maruti claims that brezza is the first vehicle to meet upcoming safety norms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Naren (Post 3953309)
Cars not equipped with airbags usually get a score of 0/1 in NCAP crash tests. This score increases to minimum 3 with front airbags(most of the cars). But I have seen few cars which failed tests miserably even with airbags. Hope airbags become standard in India by next year. Maruti claims that brezza is the first vehicle to meet upcoming safety norms.

Maruti makes that claim but does not provide any documented evidence to back it up. I have requested them to provide the crash test report but nothing so far.

I think we should wait for more transparency around crash test reports before believing those claims.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalvaz (Post 3953336)
Maruti makes that claim but does not provide any documented evidence to back it up. I have requested them to provide the crash test report but nothing so far.

I think we should wait for more transparency around crash test reports before believing those claims.

Safety norms requirement would be already informed by Govt to manufacturers. Maruti would have done in house crash testing and claimed the car to meet future safety norms. Anyways we will get a clear view only after crash test results.

Why did they even bother to test a car without airbags as that is a automatic 0 score!

One of the reasons I bought the Sail was that it had a score of 4* in the Chinese NCAP.
Now feeling quite disappointed that the Latin guys could have used a top end version, which I have. It would have given me a slightly better picture of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnUDk-GVrA8

But anyways this kind of seals the fate for my car. The loan gets over in 2018. The car will be replaced rightaway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 3953373)
Why did they even bother to test a car without airbags as that is a automatic 0 score!

Not only the airbags not present , the structure of the sedan is unstable.

Quote:

The structure of this car was rated as unstable and it will not be able to withstand further loadings.

http://www.latinncap.com/en/news/857...dult-occupants

Not surprised one bit about the Sail twins failing the Safety tests. Completely agree with all the posts above about GM's attitude towards the Indian market. They seem to be least interested in maintaining their reputation in India. The lackluster in their product lineups and sub par number of sales and service centres speaks volumes about their sincerity towards the Indian market. The Sail sedan version and its UVa counterpart both are market duds selling in abysmal numbers. It has been this way ever since they were launched and yet the story remains the same. Despite knowing that compact sedans and hatchbacks are the most booming sectors of our automobile market. The only products GM cares about is the Chevy Cruze and Beat. Baring these two cars GM seldom ever has advertised the Spark,Sail,Sail UVA. Even the costlier Trailblazer is getting a cold shoulder from the parent company GM. Haven't seen a single Trailblazer commercial or any work done to try and sell the SUV.
The only product keeping GM floating in our market is the Tavera.

It's highly foolish of Chevrolet (or any other manufacturer, for that matter) to sell cars in Latin America without even a driver airbag!

The Latin American market may not be on par with the developed markets, but some markets in Latin America are definitely more advanced than India. The simple fact that they've had an NCAP for some years is enough proof of this. An NCAP is nowhere in sight in India, with Global NCAP having to act as a substitute for one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 3953373)

One actually has to appreciate the idea behind all NCAPs testing the base variant (or a variant with the same number of airbags as the base variant). That is the only way to get the highly stupid, extremely stingy manufacturers to equip even the base variant with a driver airbag (at the very least)!

If Global NCAP had not tested the base variants of Polo and previous gen. Figo, then airbags would not have been standard on the Polo, Vento, new Figo, Aspire et cetera now. This is something that must be appreciated, as it forces manufacturers to make at least a driver airbag (or 2 airbags) available as standard across the range.

Quote:

But anyways this kind of seals the fate for my car. The loan gets over in 2018. The car will be replaced rightaway.
Hold on to your 86 horses for a moment, bblost.

This test is not necessarily an indication of the level of safety of the Indian Sail sedan / hatchback. The car tested wasn't exported from India. It was assembled in Colombia with kits from China.

As you already pointed out, the Sail sold in China got a 4* C-NCAP rating (with 2 airbags). The 40% frontal offset crash test at 64 kmph is common for all NCAPs.

There is no way to tell whether the Indian Sail twins will perform well in a crash test (like the Chinese Sail) or flunk the test (like the Colombian Sail). It depends on what GM India decided at the time of manufacturing the car in India. And I think the Indian Sail twins are completely manufactured in India (with maybe a few odd parts imported from the PRC).

One must not forget that airbags are indeed life savers and add greatly to the score in a crash test. Remember the Swift that got a 0* rating (with a structure classified as unstable) in the G-NCAP test, but got a 3* rating when the same structure was equipped with dual airbags?

Your Sail hatchback with 2 airbags isn't necessarily an unsafe car. Unless we get the Indian Sail crash-tested by NCAP, there is no way of knowing this. (While they're very welcome, the new BNVSAP norms are not the same as an NCAP test. The BNVSAP uses a 40% frontal offset test at 56 kmph in accordance with the UN ECE R94 standard, while NCAP's test takes place at a speed of 64 kmph.)

It may not be accurate to conclude the India-manufactured Sail twins (especially the variants with 2 airbags) are unsafe because the Colombia-assembled Sail (with kits from China) without airbags flunked the Latin-NCAP test.

However, I certainly do not want to stop you if you want to replace your Sail due to concerns about the level of safety it offers. Peace of mind is paramount, and it's always better to be safe than sorry! If you feel your Sail may not provide enough protection, then it's definitely better to replace the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSR (Post 3953469)

One actually has to appreciate the idea behind all NCAPs testing the base variant or a variant with the same number of airbags as the base variant. That is the only way to get the highly stupid, extremely stingy manufacturers to equip even the base variant with a driver airbag (at the very least!)

I did not think about his point. Its a very very good one. Thanks.

I really hope they make airbags mandatory across all markets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 3953017)
just wanted to correct you;

Oh and the little Beat, is the only small car to pass the IIHS's stringent small frontal overlap crash test. All other superminis including the Fiat 500, Honda Jazz, Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Verna failed this test miserably...

Thank you! :) That's great piece of information about Beat. Good to know that Beat outperformed the Fiat 500 (and few models from atleast 2 segment above) in Structural strength department - Fiat 500 itself is considered well built, like most of other Fiat hatchbacks.

Coming to Captiva - I intentionally did not consider it for few "catching fire" incidences. Please correct me if I am wrong though.