Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2016, 08:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Govt order: No speed breakers on National Highways

Link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/51834592.cms

Remove All Speed Bumps from National Highways - Govt.

I think this would be a welcome move. There were innumerable speed breakers on NH3 in MP.
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 15:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Govt order: No speed breakers on National Highways

Seems like the government has woken up and taken note of the grave dangers the speed breakers pose on our NH's. The ones which have been put on many of the NH's are mostly unscientific and pose greater risk of accidents than reducing it. And I am not even talking about the height and the lack of proper signs or blinkers.

According to the road accident report based on which the govt has acted upon, 4276 people have lost the lives because of these while a further 6672 people have died because of potholes and speed breakers. The ministry has proposed to have proper rumble strips provided on sharp curves, level crossings or congested areas. It has also proposed to have proper foot over bridges or underpasses for pedestrian crossings.

Source : TOI
Link : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/51834592.cms

P.S : Mods please merge if there is already a separate thread for the same

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 15th April 2016 at 15:57.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 16:55   #3
BHPian

re: Govt order: No speed breakers on National Highways

Good that the authorities finally realize how dangerous a speed breaker on a highway could be!

Back in 2011 I was driving to Tirupati from Chennai with 3 office colleagues in my Zen Estilo. It was around midnight, raining, and we had entered Andhra. On a recently laid patch, I hit a speed breaker at around 65-70 kmph, and such a huge was the impact that the folks at rear bench literally were in air for fraction of a second. By God's grace we all were safe, so was the car, and we all carried on. However, after return I got my car examined in MSM, Chennai - and found that both the lower arms had taken the impact, and got bent.

Got them replaced immediately, and made a habit of:
1. Everyone wears seat belt on highway.
2. Try to avoid highway drives on rainy night.
3. Always switching on the Fog lamps on a rainy night drive (if there is no escape).
4. No matter how long the journey takes, but no speeding until the road is REALLY visible.

At the same time, we all felt that it was really irresponsible of the Authorities/Contractors to lay an Unmarked/unpainted speed breaker on the newly laid stretch.
Zinda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 17:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

It is a nice move. Laying fantastic roads and putting road blocks in the form of speed breakers is contraindicative.
While travelling in public transport sitting in the rear seats the pinch is painfully felt as drivers literally jump these bumps. More so with the unscientifically made humps.

In the real sense, those unmarked bumps & cluster bumps on any roads are really spine breaking.

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th April 2016 at 17:08.
Old 15th April 2016, 17:17   #5
BHPian

Removal of speed beakers should not result in putting barricades which was done in Bangalore - Mysore Road
couswheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 17:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Removal of speed beakers should not result in putting barricades which was done in Bangalore - Mysore Road
Just could not control this. In Chennai, this is the most easiest way to bring 4+ lanes to a single lane. Oh god. I thought this was only here, seems its there in other cities too.

Removing speed breakers is a welcome step. They should also come up with some ways to stop driving on the wrong side as well on the highways.
Old 15th April 2016, 17:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

This has to be the best auto-related-government action that I have heard of in the past year. After the odd-even rule, banning of old cars, increase in taxes, this is the first good bit of new for the enthusiast that I have heard. even when travelling from Bangalore to Hyderabad I always wonder why speed breakers are there only in the karnataka section once you enter andhra, just rumble strips.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 17:32   #8
BHPian

I travel 150 km a day. From New Delhi to Hodal, Haryana.

It is highly understandable that those from the villages in India are not smart and they may not understand the importance of the cleanliness/safety on highways.

But this move by the government is a life saver.

Having experienced many life-and-death moments on the highway, I can safely estimate that 10-15% of them are due to speed breakers or uneven highways.

Thank you GOI.

I finally feel my taxes are being used correctly.

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2016 at 15:43. Reason: Typo
shivs2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 17:47   #9
BHPian

Best news ever heard. Had terrible times with unmarked speed-breakers. It was a jolly ride to Yelagiri from Chennai on my brand new polo GT TSI( yea! Am mentioning it because of the super costly DSG hanging at the bottom :( ) It was around 8:30am i guess and the sun was starting to shine. I turned left towards Yelagiri separating from the 4 lane highway and there it was, A huge speed-breaker totally unmarked ( In board as well as on the road ) hiding under the shade of the tree. You know! Its very difficult to spot these in glaring sun and tree shade covering them. Didn't hit the brake because i didn't see it until i went over it at around 40 kmph. The brand new car jumped and landed with a bump sound with full load of passengers. Imagine,how i would have felt. Immediately parked the car and checked the DSG for any oil leak. Thank god! Nothing got hit since speed is less and i didn't brake. It was the bottle on the parcel tray that made the bump sound. What a relief!! Hit 3 low speed-breakers on the same day :( After the trip, went straight to ASC and asked them to raise the vehicle and check my suspension and underbody. Not even a scratch sir, he replied and i was super happy

Now rule came to remove all those on NH, but still many on state highways. Hope govt takes some measures.
Old 15th April 2016, 17:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
I doubt if they will remove the speed breakers in Bangalore-Mysore road. It's an SH after all with priority given to the side roads rather than the highway itself( I understand that there are no speed breakers for the side roads connecting to the highway)
Let's hope for the best anyway
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 23:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is one step which GOI has taken towards having safer highways. But we should also have some sense to drive sensibly across areas. We all know how people drive inside cities itself, the highway manners less talked the better. I am hoping against hope that we collectively develop some brains and start driving better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I doubt if they will remove the speed breakers in Bangalore-Mysore road. It's an SH after all with priority given to the side roads rather than the highway itself( I understand that there are no speed breakers for the side roads connecting to the highway)
Let's hope for the best anyway
Oh this is a model for how a highway should not be. It seems as if its an extension of ORR for bangalore. So much traffic at any point of time. Some speed breakers were installed because of many people going to the famous coffee joint near bidadi and then trying all sort of stunts on the way back leading to accidents and many deaths. Few more were added by MLA's or the localites themselves for helping them cross across the SH.
Old 16th April 2016, 09:31   #12
BANNED

There was an Allahabad HC order in the late 1990's followed by many other HCs. I just wonder why were these not enforced? I think after the HC orders we have had govts of either complexion so cannot be politics.
Old 16th April 2016, 10:00   #13
BHPian

Glad to know government is finally taking some initiative! Hope it does come into action immediately and doesn't become just another "Govt Order"!
Had a similar experience on a recent trip to Bordi(Maharashtra). Was driving at around 50kmph when spotted an unmarked speedbump just a few feet away. Although i literally stood on my brakes yet Swift hit the speedbump at around 20kmph+. The impact sent my poor Swift jumping and my rear occupants banging their head through the roof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
There was an Allahabad HC order in the late 1990's followed by many other HCs. I just wonder why were these not enforced? I think after the HC orders we have had govts of either complexion so cannot be politics.
From what i have read there's always local politics involved. These speed bumps are made by local political parties without any permissions whatsoever. Local contractors are roped in to build them without any concerns given about the size/height of these speed breakers. Apparently they are made for the "safety" of locals and villagers from the "menace" of tourist vehicles.
Old 16th April 2016, 12:43   #14
BHPian

Don't subscribe to this idea, unless and until all the National Highways are made "Controlled Access" or "Limited Access" Highways.

There have to be well marked speed breakers when nearing a village / small town and after exiting it. Don't mind if they're too big a size or not. But they've to be marked. I frequently use the N H 3 from Dhule towards Mumbai and have seen horrible accident because of the absence of speed breakers, due to carelessness of both, speeding vehicle and villagers.

The villagers must be given an alternative (underpass) to crossing the highway, so that they cross safely, without hindering the flow of the highway traffic. Then, those black - yellow cab drivers must be disciplined to take the service road near villages / small towns, for their business. I'm happy to slow down upon nearing a town, whether there are breakers or not. Factually, we're still on the opposite side of this Government Order.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 20:06   #15
BHPian

Re: Govt order: No speed breakers on National Highways

Cluster humps are a pet peeve of mine. Terrible if you are on a two wheeler, uncomfortable on a four wheeler, yet offers no hinderance to a larger vehicle. Most often I see Kerala RTC drivers not even slowing down for these, instead they just rattle over them at 70kph. Let heavens show you much mercy if a KeSRTC bus shows up in your rear view mirror while you are negotiating one.
IndieGooner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed